Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • help! my goldfish floats!!!!!!!!!!
  • fastindian
    Free Member

whats going on with my lads goldfish then? looks ok fins up and looks ok but as soon as it stops swimming it floats straight to the top of the tank. is there out can be done or is it doomed

brakes
    Free Member

zip tie him to the castle/ reef

steve_b77
    Free Member

Apparently it's down to a swim bladder infection often connected to over feeding or the water not being clean enough.

I was listening to Talk Sport the other day and one of the presenters fish was doing the same, it's very easy to sort out, got to an aquatic centre, and they'll give you some drops that go in the tank/bowl and then the fish will start swimming the right way up again 😀

Mark84
    Free Member

Steve is kind of right but it can be down to a couple of different reasons. It can be due to either a bacterial infection or due to the fish swallowing too much air when it eats at the surface, fancy goldfish are really prone to this. It is more noticable after the fish has just eaten. If it is not down to diet you need to check your water. You or your fish shop need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If your water is okay you want to use an a swim bladder treatment, many of these are more effective if you use aquarium salt at the same time. Loads of information on practical fishkeepings website.

skidartist
    Free Member

Put him over your shoulder and pat his back til he burps

MrNutt
    Free Member

dropsy, game over I'm afraid.

fastindian
    Free Member

hell, I've just noticed the sucker fish is going round like its on speed!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Put him over your shoulder and pat his back til he burps

PMSL ! 😀

spooky_b329

As Mark84 says, could be they are taking in air when feeding from the surface. I had some Neon Tetra's that did this, even the relatively hardy Golden Barbs were prone.

Very easy to sort out…when feeding, hold fish flakes between fingers, and instead of sprinkling on the surface, put fingers under the surface before rubbing fingers together to disperse the flakes. Just don't feed to much as the flakes will slowly sink to the bottom of the tank before the fish have hoovered them all up.

P.S – If it is the above, they will be back to normal by tomorrow morning.

skidartist
    Free Member

hell, I've just noticed the sucker fish is going round like its on speed!

My dad used to keep a few tanks of tropical fish, but the time came when he was loosing interest and he decided that as fish died he wouldn't replace them, and as kit packed up he'd rationalise it all. In the end he had just the one tank left, with the last bits of working filter, heater etc and the last dozen or so fish.

We had family friends visiting and the fish came up in conversation and my dad explained the 'giving it all up' plan and when they're pop their clogs thats it, all over. It was almost like they knew they were being talked about as they were much more animated than usual, zooming around like mad.

Our friends slept on the bed settee that night, and the next morning they were saying the fish were whizzing around so much it was keeping them awake, but that they'd finally calmed down.

My dad went to have a look and they were all dead. He went to scoop them out and the water was almost boiling. The thermostat had packed up and the fish had, quite excitedly, been poached alive while we all watched

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lmfao at skidartist – post of the year so far!

Ambrose

I had a minute's silence in class today, in memory of Sebastian the red crab who passed away this morning 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘help! my goldfish floats!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.