Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Help – moving to London
  • IHN

Yeah, it was. In fact, as Betjeman implies, it was as bad as Slough still is…

“Slough: making Swindon look good”

Catchy, eh?

🙂

Flaperon

Thanks for all the advice. Single right now so will probably be looking to get a place by myself, though if meet other people starting on the same course early enough I might be able to share. Can’t commute in from Manchester at the moment due to the way BA short-haul works – when things go wrong at Heathrow the first flights to be sacrificed are the shuttles coming in from regional airports.

Rent is a max of £900/month. Don’t mind anything up to a 45 minute off-peak commute. Looking at South East rental prices and wishing I’d become a landlord.

br
    Free Member

Rent is a max of £900/month. Don’t mind anything up to a 45 minute off-peak commute. Looking at South East rental prices and wishing I’d become a landlord.

Look further afield. I’m Buckinghamshire and you could get a 2-bed cw garage for £600pcm around here, and loads of riding in the Chilterns (which are basically Dunstable to Goring).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Flaperon

Friends (various) have come up with this list

Good.
    Chalfont St peter
    Beaconsfield
    Denham
    Gerards Cross
    Cookham (three suggestions for here)
    Egham
    Englefield Green
    Chertsey
    teddington
    Shere
    Peaslake, now funnily enough I drove through this place and remember thinking what a beautiful place it was.
    Holmbury St Mary
    Abinger
    Hammer
    Maidenhead
    Marlow
    Stokenchurch
    Eaton Bray
    Bracknell. Three suggestions for Bracknell but one saying ok but some scuzzy places there.

Avoid at all costs.
    Hounslow
    Feltham
    Bedfont
    Some areas of Twickenham
    Whitton.
    High Wycombe.

So can you help me narrow it down into biking friendly areas? Tend to be a lazy sod on my days off, so convenient walk to a local coffee shop important but not essential. Don’t care about clubbing or rail access. Happy with a smaller town but with decent motorway access, if such a place exists?

Will probably rent for six months and then buy, as have a decent deposit saved up.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleworth

Local biking not spectacular but nice
    Grand union canal into or out of London
    Thames path into or out of London
    Osterly park
    Richmond park (the days of single track there are long gone)
    Wimbledon Common
    Urban

Easy to get to other riding areas though.

Rio

Chalfont, Beaconsfield, Denham and Gerards Cross are nice but you’ll be paying a premium for good links to London on the Chiltern line that you say you don’t need.

In general places inside the M25 won’t be particularly biking-friendly unless you’re a closet roady or you want to travel to Heathrow by bike.

Slough should be added to your “don’t do it” list.

Amersham, Chesham and Berkhamsted or the surrounding areas might be worth considering, but again you pay extra for the rail links. Avoid Hemel Hempstead.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Whitton? I’ve a mate who lives near there, didn’t seem all that bad to me.

br
    Free Member

Avoid Hemel Hempstead.

And Wycombe is ‘interesting’…

freeridenick
    Free Member

If you are serious about your riding then there is only 1 answer…

Dorking, westcott, holmbury, peaslake etc – nothing else compares…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I don’t know the Surrey towns very well so I’ll not comment on those but of the berks,bucks and Oxfordshire locations I’d go for Marlow as the best all round place on your list.

It’s a decent sized town so will have a bit of variety about it, just on the edge of the Chilterns so you’ve got road and offroad cycling covered.

The commute into Heathrow would be pretty easy as your likely going to be on the M4 and barring accidents the M4 flows pretty well up to the Heathrow junction, plus if there were a problem there’s other quick routes in. You could conceivably cycle from Marlow to Heathrow if you fancied.

Agreed that Slough should be on the ‘to be avoided’ list but then I’d also put Maidenhead and Bracknell on that list too.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

freeridenick is right.

if you going to the hassle of driving 45 minutes to work, you might as well have the benefit of great riding on the doorstep. It’ll be dead easy to meet fellow bikers living nearby too.

Look at the areas around Guildford – Dorking – Leatherhead triangle. Popular areas of Leith/Holmbury/Pitch hill which are south of the a25 between Guildford and Dorking, where Peaslake, Holmbury st mary are.

I’ve been to Bracknell, seems ok to me.

alfabus
    Free Member

If you are serious about your riding then there is only 1 answer…

Dorking, westcott, holmbury, peaslake etc – nothing else compares…

That is 4 answers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bracknell is not at all pleasant to look at but Wokingham is right next door, still handy (as in 3 miles away) for Swinley. Might be expensive though 🙂

br
    Free Member

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-to-rent/details/id/JCAL999000362/

In the country (40 mins to LHR off-peak) and within 1/2 mile of a number of bridleways – and walking distance to the pub.

Rio

One thing you don’t say is whether you’ll still have any links up North. If you do, don’t underestimate the additional time to get there from anywhere south of London (unless of course you’re flying!). Dorking to the M1 can be an hour on a good day, more like 2 at a bad time. An accident on the M25 can make it a bit longer – M25 J7 to J25 once took me 5 hours…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As rio said if you want the Chilterns (ie Stokenchurch) then also Amersham, Chesham etc. I wouldn’t go to High Wycombe or Bracknell. I know a lot of police officers who live there as it’s cheap but they all think it’s a dive, only way for them to get on the property ladder. Yes it’s close to Swinley but Chilterns gives you FAR more options. I can’t comment on the other side of London I’m afraid. Chilterns ace though except in winter 😉

aP
    Free Member

If I was renting somewhere and thinking about the commute to work it wouldn’t involve 45 minutes on the M25 or indeed any driving at all.
    And your list has some most amusing likes/dislikes.

hounslow
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Whitton, and the Action Bikes are great. I might be biased having lived on the Hounslow/Whitton border all my life, but i don’t see anything wrong with most of the area.
    Feltham is apparently getting gentrified but i would avoid, likewise Isleworth, central/west/east Hounslow. Hampton/Hampton Hill is nice.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, obviously Chiswick is a hole too.
    Way too much generalisation here. Choose how far you want to commute, how much you want to spend and that’ll narrow down your choices.

molgrips
    Free Member

I worked in Chiswick, it was ok. High St was a fairly decent place to eat, shop and drink. Ok so it’s not Richmond but we’re hardly talking millionaire’s row here are we?

rootes1

Didsbury

Despite many opinions to the contrary I have never thought Didsbury was that nice ok but not mega nice – not that i can talk as i live in Woking – direct bus to Heathrow though.

As for stuff round heathrow it all potentially horrible/nice at the same time. e.g. Staines can be both horrible and nice depending on which street you are on.. Lightwater is ok though a bit dead – but handy for riding places.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*slurps coffee from apartment overlooking Richmond Bridge* 8)

jfletch
    Free Member

For similarness to Didsbury i.e. distinct small towny feel with some nice nightlife type pubs and bars I’d say Marlow. Has then bonus of being 20 mins from Heathrow off peak if you blat down the M4 but you can take the back roads at peak time and do it in 30. Expensive though.

But for similarness to Didsbury i.e. posh suburb with easy access to Motorway and proximity to city center at the same time you need to be looking inside the M25, Chiswick, Strawberry Hill, Richmond, Twickenham, Kew etc. And again, nice places round there aren’t cheap.

For similarness Didsbury i.e. nice place to live, then list is almost endless. I’d be looking for somewhere cheap, close to the airport on a short lease and then move when I had a better idea of where I liked and where was close to my mates.

And to all the Sheffield haters, I give you The Peak District.

Flaperon

Choose how far you want to commute, how much you want to spend and that’ll narrow down your choices.

45 minutes (possibly stretched to an hour) and £900/month. Would prefer to have somewhere nicer with a longer commute than somewhere next to the airport. As I said, I’ll be commuting at off-peak times so rail / bus isn’t an option.

Sonor
    Free Member

Despite many opinions to the contrary I have never thought Didsbury was that nice ok but not mega nice – not that i can talk as i live in Woking – direct bus to Heathrow though.

If you ignore the office block centre of Woking and look to the outer parts, its ok. Also it places you more or less between, Swinley, tunnel hill and the Surrey hills.

Pretty good access to the M25 which avoids the M3. The M3 can be an absolute bitch getting from the slip road onto the M25 during peak times and quite often during off-peak times.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Help – moving to London’ is closed to new replies.