Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me shorten my short list!!!
  • quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Buying a bike to replace a stolen one, main use is family riding, trailer pulling, the odd lakes trip and stand in for mechanical issues.

So the list is:
    Charge Duster eight (Alfine)
    Charge Duster Mid
    Orange R8 (bit pricey)
    Orange G2 (not steel but cheap)
    Genesis Altitude 00
    Genesis IOID (Alfine)

Going on looks, I'm favouring the Duster Mid…. but will need some kind of adaptor for trailer pulling.

So any thoughts, I am looking for good value and lack of chav appeal, as have been repeatedly targeted before.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Is anyone running an Alfine? Do you think the 8 gears would be fine for trailer pulling.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Just seen a Duster Mid on Evans for £750, seems like good value at that. Anyone know when the 2010 models are out.

GW
    Free Member

they all sound too nice to me.

I use a 1991ish trek (850?) for that sort of thing, and before that it was an equally old Marin I got off here for free. – don't even need to worry about keeping a bike like that indoors (or locked when out and about)

Trekster

My lbs http://www.cycle-centre.com/ has been running the Alfine hubbed Genesis as hire bikes at Mabie for a year or so without any problems. Think Hub @ GT have also been running them. Maybe get an ex hire one cheap? For what you want I reckon it would do the job.

But I would futureproof myself and get the 1)R8….2)Charge mid 😆

Or why not a Blue Pig? ❓
    Having said that it might be a struggle fitting a trailer due to the brake caliper mount position 🙁

So any Genesis

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

A blue Pig?

Been looking around for cheapies, but I will be using it for night rides and some winter stuff.

cookeaa

Blimey GW where do you live the 50s?
    Any bike left unlocked round our way would be gone in a jiffy…

I like the look of both the Alfine options, reckon the Genesis would edge it for me, but then that's me, you need a practical bike I reckon the G2 is worth serious consideration, might be worth seeing if you can get a test bimble on an Alfine equiped bike just to see how you get on with the gears.

apparently the alfine is the equivalent of having an 11-38t cassette (on a single front ring) see how that gearing range compares with a double or triple and a real life 11-32t…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hub at Glentress have ex-hire Genesis IO ID for £499. You might as well at least try one out for that much.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I intend to use my Genesis io singlespeed for trailer duties personally.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I rode a Charge 8 the other week and found the range of gears pretty good on the Alfine hub. Had no trouble keeping up or outpacing my friend on his Prince Albert on the fire roads.

He left me for dead on the trails though where climbing 'technique' came more into play.

Queintinfarquar how tall are you? I found I was a bit 'hunched up' on the 20" Charge though as I'm 6"4 could have done with a bit more top tube/stem. (beggars can't be choosers though ;))

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I'm 6 2" so was going for the 20", I was riding a 19" P7 last year and found that okay.

I like the idea of the alfine, but given I can save £250+ by getting the geared version, not really sure I will see any benefit.

Monkeychild – I did consider it, but thought I was been a bit optimistic….

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

But then I did enjoy my P7… but I think it's more money, the chav's do like nicking my oranges and 140mm is probably a bit excessive.

ady
    Free Member

Brought an orange R8 a month ago and it reminds me why i used to ride hardtails it just seems to flow whatever trail/single track you are on . since buying it my full suss has sat gathering dust in the shed and have not seen another on the trails .

ampthill

I've got a gringo sort of a G2

I think the flex is spot on compared to my old steel kona

flexy enough for some comfort (27.2 seat post) stiff enough for good pedalling and steering

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me shorten my short list!!!’ is closed to new replies.