Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me plan my garage
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

The garage is integral to the house. It sits under the bathroom and backs into the kitchen. It has a Hormman sectional door, the 40mm insulated one.

We’ve just had the boiler relocated from the garage to the loft which now frees up space in the garage.

I’m wondering if some sort of radiator or drying device might be useful in that space. It’s close to the kitchen door so I dint want to use the space for something like a cupboard as its the projection into the room that’s the issue.

Obviously, as the boiler was there previously, it means there is the wet heating circuit or a fused spur to utilise.

I’m looking for ideas and advice on that to put there.

A radiator with a hook and rail in front for drying shoes, coat gloves etc or a dedicated device?

Plumb it into the central heating circuit (possibly cheaper, but less room specific control) or electric (more expensive, but could just switch it on as required).

Advice please.

Saccades
    Free Member

Sex dungeon with a beer fridge.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did consider that, but the wife is a cyclist too so a bike garage would be the path of least resistance

turin
    Free Member

If it was me I would plumb it int the central heating system with a hand valve/TRV to control it, so if there was something to dry you could open the valve, perhaps go for a towel rail to give more surface to hang wet jackets etc on?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d considered that, but wouldn’t that mean having to heat the whole house (or go around tweaking valves) just to dry stuff in the garage?

honeybadgerx

Get a dehumidifier too, not only to control damp but it helps dry things loads quicker. When we were on holiday a few weeks ago the place we stayed had on wife those plug in heated clothes airers which was ace for wet bike stuff. Could be a quick and cheap option?

turin
    Free Member

If you ran it of the same supply as the rest of the house it would but would it not be likely that the house would be on? if not you could install a separate motorised valve just for the garage, but then that would also make it expensive to run the boiler just for the garage.

The other option is you could get a towel rail that runs off the hot water but also takes a small electric element for this type of situation, they are pretty common. In summer or when the boiler isn’t needed, switch the small electric element on which will give some heat but also put a valve so if the boiler is on then the hot water will give the heat.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Depening on how much you want to spend these may be worth a look:

http://www.pekodryingcabinets.co.uk/products/peko-ets-1700e-drying-cabinet/

We use these drying cabinets at work for our kit and they’re great. Most of us use them for drying motorbike and cycling kit in the winter and never have any issues with them. So far so good, we’ve never had anyone manage to shrink anything in them either!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Turin, those combination towel rails sound useful.

Notmyrealname, the drying cupboard sounds great but we relocated to boiler because it stuck out into the room too far too close to the door so we’d have the same issue with a cupboard.

captmorgan
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure it would. This is probably more about having some wall space in the garage with central heating and/or electrical supply close by.

finishthat
    Free Member

The water has to go somewhere – a dehumidifier will do the job at the press of a button and not interfere with your heating system , cheaper than the plumbing work too. Get a dessicant machine that works at low temperatures .

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Your setup sounds almost identical to mine – ie integral garage, sectional insulated door.

I have a towel radiator in there which runs off the heating (same circuit as the upstairs and rads downstairs). Works well and good for drying bike stuff / wetsuits etc.
    (the garage also has insulation in walls and under the floor and as its integral also quite nice not to have a freezing cold room attached to the house).

Must say if its warm enough not to have the heating on at all then haven’t really needed to have the rad on in the garage.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Get a Desiccant Dehumidifier. We have similar set up to you but washing mashing, beer fridge and bikes in the garage. A Desiccant Dehumidifier not only keeps it all dry, also dries out clothes in winter but keeps it warm enough. This type of dehumidifier also warms 5he Air a little.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me plan my garage’ is closed to new replies.