Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me know things that are unknown to me.
  • crikey
    Free Member

Partly inspired by molgrips combine Q, can someone explain how radio and WiFi work in nice simple lies-to-children fashion please?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Two cups tied together with string, well wifi just uses fine threads that you can’t see.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Radios easy, you turn the wee knob thing till theres a click, then you keep turning until you can hear it. 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Two cups tied together with string, well wifi just uses fine threads that you can’t see.

Edit: sometimes the threads touch and you get a double post

Stoner
    Free Member

wibbly waves wibble electrons in a receiver that turns the wibbling electrons into electronic signals.

think of an oceanic wave hitting a float thats tied to a pontoon. it lifts and falls as the wave passes, and something turns that into information.

Ambrose

It’s all done by magic.

crikey
    Free Member

Thanks fellas, I’m having that Steven Hawkins bloke round for tea and now I can answer any question he asks.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    Thanks fellas, I’m having that Steven Hawkins bloke round for tea and now I can answer any question he asks.
    POSTED 33 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

He’s a gobshite, that fella.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We know there are known knowns: there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns: that is to say we know there are things we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don’t know we don’t know

-Donald Rumsfeld.

crikey
    Free Member

Although its a bit of a joke, I can’t quite grasp how STW can be sent through the air to my phone by WiFi, I just seem to be unable to get an analogy that I can understand..

aracer
    Free Member

You can see? You have a vague concept of how vision works? That’s down to electromagnetic waves passing through space. Well radio is just the same as that, but with the waves vibrating a lot slower. The radio waver are passing through space in just the same way light does. Of course one significant difference is that light waves are absorbed by most solids, whilst radio waves can to some extent pass through them (which is due to the difference in frequency).

Do you need simpler than that, or do you want to know how WiFi works given radio waves?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me know things that are unknown to me.’ is closed to new replies.