Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help me decide (new bike)
  • movingslowly
    Free Member

Clever people of the world, help me choose a new bike.

Should I go for a short-travel (100mm) 26er or one of these new fangled 29er hardtails? Mostly going to used for long day rides and the like with the occasional trail centre.

I like the look of the Giant Anthem X2 or a Canyon 29er (but worried Canyon might be a bit ‘racey’)

Confused, please help!

tk46hal
    Free Member

What’s the budget and your size?

I made the switch two years ago from 26″ to 29″ and I would never go back. I’m 5-9″ tall and have not found the so called height restrictions a problem so if your that height or taller, then a 29er should be considered.

marcusmtb
    Free Member

650b, then you can be a bit more niche. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    float
    Free Member

650b, then you can be a bit more niche.

they will also make you as fast as nino schurter 😀

movingslowly
    Free Member

thanks for replies…budget is about £2000 and I’m 6 foot bang on.

danti

Cotic Solaris then if you’re 6 foot, comfy enough for all day rides and run with 100-120mm forks.

fasthaggis

Send me your £2000
    I will buy you a bike ,then post it to you.
    You will get a niche surprise ,honest.
    🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Does a 100mm 29er have more “travel” than a 26er……? If you know what I mean. Does the wheel size help out on the rough stuff?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Feel wise mcboo, yes.

Yes

pickle
    Free Member

i can never quite understand all these ‘help me buy a new bike’ type of threads. If i were planning on spending 2k on a new bike it would need to be one i’d ridden and tried before i parted with that sort of cash.

Then once you’ve tried a few it’s down to your decision on the best for the job you want it for.

Someone on here telling you to buy the same bike as they have, or one they lust after isn’t going to help you i’m afraid.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Well maybe he’s after ideas first!

pickle
    Free Member

no need to shout 😉 i still can’t believe that with a budget of 2k you wouldn’t tralling the mags and already have an idea of what brands or bikes you want??

sorry, maybe i’m on my own on that one??

fasthaggis

No you’re not pickle 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can’t beat the Anthem X2 2011 for £1,600 ! Better spec than the 2012 bike too.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x2.html?gclid=CNzd55v59K4CFYgifAodiRrLHg

Best full susser I’ve ever ridden for XC/Trail riding, whatever the hell its called these days! The last full susser I had, had me thinking of going back to a hardtail, but the Anthem makes me think that I woukd never want a hardtail again.

Tom83

Belt drive rigid single speed 29er half fat surely?

Seriously though, your best bet would be to flick through a few mags, then off to your LBS to sling a leg over a few.
    As suggested above, I’d quite fancy a Cotic Solaris if i was heading down the 29er route.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hook up with some other riders and ride their bikes. It will help you decide.

campfreddie
    Free Member

buy my turner flux which is in the for sale section… i’m after £1,800.

i’ve only done about 150 miles on it… it is set up with 120mm at the front (massively stiff thanks to a 20mm maxle) with 105mm at the rear. it’s pretty light thanks to top-end componentry and some awesome hope pro ii evo / stans crest tubeless rims.

the 120mm/105mm set up makes it ideal for comfy all-day riding and the occasional trail centre ride where a 100mm/100mm bike can become a bit of a handful. my lodger rides an anthem x2 and the flux is certainly happier at trail centres.

it is one seriously large amount of handbuilt custom bike for very little ask.

it also happens to be exactly the right size for you! i am 6’1″ and on the cross-over point between a large (which this is) and an extra large. at 6′, the large will be perfect.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Pipedream Scion which is a nice steel hard tail?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide (new bike)’ is closed to new replies.