Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help me choose a workstand
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I know this has probably been posted a thousand times, but what are you using and how much was it?

I’m leaning towards a Park pcs10, any reasons why I shouldn’t or is there a better option for the same/less money?

mactheknife

ton, thought u had sold that.

Sorry to hijack. Ill buy it if nobody snaps it up. OP obviously since this is your thread 😀

eyerideit
    Free Member

Ton, how much are you asking?

Underhill
    Free Member

Lidl might have their stands in soon, £30 and reasonably good. I got one last week (in Northern Ireland) and seem to remember that last time mainland got theirs a couple of weeks later.

br
    Free Member

I’ve the Park 9, now. I find the clamp better as I’ve a number of different seatpost sizes.

Buy cheap, buy twice – I did…

eyerideit
    Free Member

BTW It will need to fold down nice and small as well so I can hide it from the grand inquisitor. 😕

jonnyrockymountain

The one for about £60 from merlin absolutly brilliant and worth every penny

eyerideit
    Free Member

jonny rocky mountain – Member
    The one for about £60 from merlin absolutly brilliant and worth every penny

The bike tools one?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I bought one of these in the sale for £60 and while it has worked well for 18 months, the ratchet has just done in the clamp so the bike just swivels around now!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-elite-team-workstand/

Wiggle have said to send it back for repair which should be free so can’t complain really.

Think I’d buy a Park one if I was buying again though.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Just bought a Park pcs10 from merlin for 98.00 plus 5% cashback from Quidco.

Now that’s bit of a bargain as CRC is selling it for 134.99

Thought I’d let you know if anyone’s interested in getting one.

nuke

Very happy with my Minoura W-3000 mostly due to the clamp mechanism…best I’ve ever used.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Feedback sports pro bought cheap last winter for about 120 quid at my lbs cracking bit of kit – lives in my van when we go to events and in the shed te rest o the time . Folds nice and small – yet holds bike solid

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dunno if this helps – but I got a pcs 10 from an older bloke 2nd hand. It will be around a lot longer then I am – whatever about him.

The big big thing (after coming from a cheapo no brand one) was a proper QR ( for clamping the seat-tube etc).

Downside is its steel (I think) so I dont leave it outside -rust.

Winstanley regularly have them under £90.

lovewookie

PCS10 is the best bet, as you’ve probably gathered.

folds down OK, QR’s on legs/mid point are a real bonus over the PCS9, plus it just feels a whole lot more stable.

Not the lightest of things, but the clamp is great and it takes seconds to put up.

Everything else I’ve used has either failed at the clamp or been wobbly.

LIDL ones are really rubbish, mine stripped the thread and wouldn’t hold the bike tight enough to swivel it. a coathanger stand is better IMO.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

feedback stands are great but cripplingly expensive

trail_rat
    Free Member

They are indeed – merlin were knocking them out cheap as were the bike chain edinburgh – mentioned to my lbs – angus bike chain and they came back with a price i couldnt refuse 🙂

All but the very cheapest are the same design just different material – mines the pro and is alloy and red but coulda got te black steel one for 90 note

andyl
    Free Member

PCS10 or Feedbak sports one for me too after trying cheaper ones. And yes Merlin seem to be the best.

stayhigh

I’ve had my PCS10 for several years now and used it happily on a number of bikes. The clamp I find excellent, very secure but I have found from time to time the stand can be a bit wobbley when exerting force

Milkie
    Free Member

PCS10 here, never had one before, can’t imagine one being much better either. Does what it’s supposed to do, and does it very well.

Don’t forget to get yourself a stool of some sort and somewhere to put your cuppa tea 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

don’t get the bike tools or minoura stands – the bases aren’t stable enough.

I’ve a feedback and it is great, can swing the bike round to all sorts of angles to work on, and the clamp is great.

I had a Minoura 5000 but gave it away – waste of money – might be ok if you have some sandbags to put over the legs. The clamp started giving me grief as well, at the bit where you fold it up from being compacted down for storage.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Milkie I think the tea holder will be my next purchase, followed the shelf and then by a stool finally a tool.

It’s very important to have your tea to hand in the proper position – it’s no.2 on Sheldon Brown good cycle maintenance list. Number 1 being get a good stand.

Thanks for all your comments and have a good weekend, whatever you’re doing and wherever you’re riding.

🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a workstand’ is closed to new replies.