Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help me choose a route
  • andrew
    Free Member

Well, Next February I’ll be 40 and my missus has agreed that a nice pressie will be a (return!) ticket to some far off corner of this island and a couple of days riding. This is quite a big deal to me as i don’t drive and time and long train journeys do’t usually mix well with three young children and being as broke as we’ve been for the last three years so I’m getting excited and planning it all, ooh, 18mths in advance.

I’ve nearly chosen where to go. The choice is between Achnashellach or the Kyle of Lochalsh (I’ll actually be going some time May-Sept rather than Feb).

My plan is this: take a tent, pitch camp on the first night and then spend two days cycling around that base.

Achnashellach: no obvious camp site. Completely new area to me.
    Kyle of Lochalsh: I had planned to cycle to Sligachan hotel and camp there but my train will get in at about 7.30 so it could be 9 by the time i get there.

What I’m after is route suggestions (I’ve cycled on Skye but not for 18 or so years), comparisons and any info about other campsites or possibilities. Cheers 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you’re going to camp up in Scotland, you really really need to think about the midges!

GlenMore
    Free Member

There’s a camp site at the Ledgowan Lodge Hotel in Achnasheen, and there’s Gerrys Bothy at Craig. Lots and lots of routes around that area – google Coire Lair, Coulin Pass.

Ratfighter
    Free Member

second the midge alert, they’ll eat you alive

How about Devon and cornwall?

andrew
    Free Member

Ah, yes, the midges: that was why i was thinking about May or September in the hope I’d avoid the worst of the season. I have bad memories of breathing in mouthfuls of the little bastards whilst they clouded round me by the side of a loch on Lewis.

Cheers for the recommendations Glen – I was looking at a loop that turned off the road after Coulags and came back down the Coulin Pass

andrew
    Free Member

Any other sage words?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a route’ is closed to new replies.