Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! Looking for a Route on Skye.
  • steelfan
    Free Member

Going to Scotland this year and want to do a route that I have seen in a mag but cant for the life of me find it anywhere. All I can remember is the photo which shows some flowing singletrack with a dramatic cliff backdrop. Can anyone point me in the right direction with a link? Thanks

Jenga
    Free Member

Think that was in The Quirang, towards the north of the island. Great area that, but don't get lost or you'll still be there this time next year.

danti

Whilst the Quiraing is a stunningly beautiful place there isn't that much riding there, the route we went on a holiday up there only took 90 minutes and we weren't going that fast.

The link below for Macleods maidens over on the west coast of Skye is better/longer and also has some cliff top riding.
    http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/macleodsmaidens.shtml

But the best ride on Skye imho is Sligachan, technical singletrack that goes on for miles, prefer it on my full susser to hardtail.
    The Sligachan route is in plenty of guide books.

I'd also consider Torridon as there's some superb riding up there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gus
    Free Member

You might be talking about photo's in Dirt magazine of riding from the film Home. These shots were taken near the Storr on the Trotternish peninsula and in Loch Coruisk (they must of caught the boat to Loch Coruisk).
    Both look great, but I'm not sure you can put together much of a route around these.

As danti says the The Glen Sligachan loop is very good for the fit and experienced.

http://www.mountainbikescotland.com/sliggy.html

defaultslipper
    Free Member

this thread from the summer might help:
    Skye biking

robgarrioch

Another previous thread of a wee purpose built trail just over the bridge – Skye track
    Would be a good leg stretcher after a drive (it really isn't that long)

flatfish
    Free Member

+1 for sligachan loop although the second half was a bloody slog last october so i'd suggest an out and back from the sligachan hotel to camasuary bothy

defaultslipper
    Free Member

flatfish has it nailed. out and back probably the best.
    i did it on a wet weekend going in a clockwise direction (i.e. Glen Sligachan section last). instead of taking the notoriously muddy strath mor path, we took the strath beag path (slightly further east if you're lookinbg at a map) as we thought it might be better. we were wrong- the strath beag path, although it looked promising at the start, soon turned into an unrideable murky path. about 45mins/ hour later of pushing we reached the summit. from there down towards torrin was superb, but you have to weigh up the awful push to get there.

the glen sligachan bit was superb though.
    can give grid references or maybe a .gpx file if i can figure it out to steelfan if you are interested? email is in profile i think.

user-removed
    Free Member

defaultslipper – Member
    this thread from the summer might help:
    Skye biking

Was just about to go find that and suggest a read 🙂

EDIT: here's my ride report with pics HERE

defaultslipper
    Free Member

still got that thread bookmarked! lots of good info on there

steelfan
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info and links.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! Looking for a Route on Skye.’ is closed to new replies.