Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help, I'm considering 1st new bike since 2004. Euro 29ers?
  • londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’m starting to consider a new bike to complement my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro from 2004 which weighs 11.8kg with 2.2 tyres. I’m used to 100mm Fox Float RLC fork and Triad shock with recent XT 9, Hope/717, Thomson, Eggbeaters, which I would pretty much consider a minimum spec for a new bike. I’m 5.7, 85kg, 40, still like to race occasionally, but mostly ride dry, rocky, sandy, and gravelly singletrack trails with jumps to flat of up to 1m in Australia.

Due to the increased grip, speed, and potential comfort for my lower back I’m interested in raceable 29ers, so here’s a few I like the look of. What can you tell me about them, and other options for a budget of 3-4k pounds? I’m not sure of the pricing of these looking via my phone.

I’m particularly keen on a rear shock remote since I currently always ride using the propedal setting, but would use open if I could switch immediately between them. Obviously I’m used to FSR, so I’m attracted to 4 bar or VPP, but probably not single pivot unless they’ve really moved on since I had a Marin in 98, and definitely no hardtails – my back forced me off them. Wheels should be Hope or better, or leave enough budget to upgrade.

Thanks

Cube AMS 100 Super HPC SL 29

Canyon Nerve AL 9.9 SL

Merida Big Ninety-Nine Pro 3000

Specialized Epic Expert Carbon

weeksy

I’d ride any of them 🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AC 29er? 140mm travel, build weight somewhere between 28 & 30lbs depending on spec, beautifully built and it’s great at just about everything…..I am biased tho’… 🙂

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’ve always considered 26 pounds as the upper weight limit for a raceable bike…unless it’s really got that much easier to haul the extra weight with the explosion in 120-140 bikes. On UK trails I could manage fine on 1.8 tyres which brought the FSR down to 24.5 pounds with a few other cheap basic changes. Conversely I’ve also ridden the FSR with downhill wheels in the Alps, and it proved its strength.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Bump, I’d really appreciate some advice.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Ok, I think these are my favourites. How do we think they compare?

Cube AMS 100 Super HPC Race 29 – $4.5k 11.65kg

Merida Big Ninety-Nine Pro XT – $4.1k 13.46kg

Big difference in weight, and I would probably add new wheels and XT discs. I’m looking at the lower models because they don’t import the Cube SL to Australia, and I don’t think the Merida 3000 is worth $1.3k more for Fulcrum wheels and full XT.

Cheers.

martymac

you wont need a remote on the cube ams, the propedal lever is reachable when riding.
    i can reach mne no prob, and im a fat fecker.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

martymac Which AMS are you riding? Would you provide a review?

martymac

2011 ams130 pro. 26er tho.
    i like it, it pedals well and feels responsive, not too heavy for this type of bike, i have only done a few hundred miles on it, but the suspension works well, and feels planted.
    compared to my mate on his gt hardtail, i can ride with impunity the terrain that would throw him off, he can ride as well as i can any day.
    i cant really comment on this bikes climbing ability, because I cant climb due to being pretty fat.
    another mate has a 2013 ams120 29er, which he has fitted with mostly xtr, it feels a little lighter than mine at the front, possibly due to the forks, but not much lighter overall. (both alloy frames)
    i bought the bike using part of an inheritance from my grandad, i dont regret getting it and i would buy the same bike again.
    i got a good discount on mine, perk of having a mate owning a bike shop, but even if id paid list i would still class it as a good deal.

martymac

also, a word of warning, my wife had a shot of it for about 30 yards and immediately decided she would like a new bike, so that was another 900 quid spent, which more than made up for any discount i got.
    previously, my wife showed virtually no interest in bikes at all.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Thanks for that. twentynineinches.com rated the 120 version but suggested it might blow through the travel a bit unless set firm.

I basically just need to know if it bobs noticeably climbing, and whether it feels supple enough over roots and rocks, and going downhill.

ljs1977
    Free Member

Giant Anthem Advanced?

£3.5k though and not euro

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’d go for the Epic if racing is one of your priorities . Also with the brain shock you wont have to worry about remote lockouts . I would probably go for the basic Comp Carbon and upgrade with a set of American Classic race wheels which , at 1400g will knock about 1lb off the weight .

radoggair
    Free Member

good luck getting those wheels tough.

Agree on the spesh and change of wheelset, then tinker it a bit more with some other uber light componentry. Change of bar and stem and seatpost could save nearly 3/4 pound

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help, I'm considering 1st new bike since 2004. Euro 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.