• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by joat.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • help deciding what lights
  • chambo82
    Free Member

Trying to decide what lights to get to replace my fading maxx d, thinking of also selling me joystick mk6 and getting the v4 Ayups, or keep the joystick and getting a cheap Mega lumen bar light, any advice much appreciated

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

search on here for dx. magicshine, deal extreme.

Lots and lots of debate on here about lights. Personally I would go for a smudge light as the right balance of price / light / customer service
    http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

JoeG
    Free Member

I have the AyUps; love them. And kits are 10% off through the end of the month…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

One of the higher end Magicshines or equivalent… MJ872 for a head light or the dual-XML for a bar light. Knock spots off the competition frankly. Well made, excellent power, and inexpensive.

What’s actually wrong with the Maxx D? Not a light I’d buy myself but they’re pretty good…

Ayup are really lovely lights, and a good company… But they just aren’t very bright. It’s a shame really.

robsoctane
    Free Member

+1 for Majicshine mj872 but only for the bar personally speaking. Very bright and lovly flood. Not enough spot for a head peice.

Enjoy the night, rider!

Luminous
    Free Member

Send me a note if you wish and I’ll do you a good price on something from the 7/6/401 range.

Won’t be as low cost as Smudge’s light though will have more lumens.
    Smudge is a good guy to deal with, as TJ says ^^^

rickmeister

Another AyUp fan here. Betwen the two of us we bought the Explorer kit. Cant fault them really…. Bright enough for us…

M6TTF
    Free Member

The current ay ups were boosted from their original output weren’t they – aren’t they about 600 lumens per pair now? Mate gas a set and they certainly throw plenty of light and battery life is superb. The thing I like is the batteries are very small.

takisawa2

THESE are good, especially as a helmet light. Couple of us use them & they seem reliable enough. I’d be sceptical about ordering from their Hong Kong site again, (last order took a month), but the one above comes from the UK warehouse & arrived in 3 days. Not bad for just over £30.

richen987
    Free Member

Ay Ups are brilliant, my mates exposure stopped working last night, we split my set onto both our bikes and had no problems, plenty bright enough. small, light weight, slow fade if battery running low (they don’t just cut out) and they charge quickly too. cracking bit of kit.

Sparky77
    Free Member

Just got one of the exodus’ from Four4th ( http://four4th.co.uk/ ), can’t rate it enough. They also do the Genesis version to go on the bars.

z1ppy

AS per Northwind for a mega cheap bar light go for the MJ-872 or a dual XML, off-hand the MJ-872 have been about for a while & have proved pretty damn good, but the Inton XML U2 lights seemingly run cooler and have a better throw/reach (yet to compare them side by side.. it will happen!).

and again from what I’ve seen the Ay-Up are a great light set but aren’t powerful enough when compare to the alternatives

Though if there actually a problem with the Maxx D, it may well be worth contacting Exposure to see if they can do anything about it.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Have the the Ayups – really good compact and tough as nails lights and batteries. I use them for mtb’ing and running in Delamere and they are ideal. I was surprised how good the headband was as didn’t really notice the light was there after 5 minutes 🙂

Just had my LEDs upgraded and even better now – service was excellent.

Not enough light from Ayups – what do you want daylight!!

Though I do think the halogens did give a ‘softer’ hue than LEDs which made it easier to pick out subtler changes in the terrain?

lipseal
    Free Member

I really want THIS but have an Exposure 6 pack. The reason I want the S1 is the remote switch, its a lot better than the Exposure one.

trout
    Free Member
    lipseal
    Free Member

Link not workin Chris??

trout
    Free Member

Ta Lipseal

joat

I have recently aquired two Lezyne lights, a super drive(on the bars) and a mini drive(on the helmet). On familier trails these are more than adequate and often turn them to a lower setting to conserve a bit of battery. Though I do understand why more power could be desirable, maybe addictive.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘help deciding what lights’ is closed to new replies.