Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HELP! Car repair question…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

What does it mean when my garage tells me he's fitted my new Turbo but "the engine won't turn over and the glow plugs are locked in the head and they need to come out"

Is this common or is it gonna be expensive?

Need the car to get to HONC this weekend (and I was hoping so I could ride tonight too)

jedi

i may start calling you lucky! 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm sure all this bad luck is building up to a lottery win 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Marge
    Free Member

That sounds serious….

Engine won't turn over speaks for itself but that's not a good sign.
    I assume you have had some form of major mechanical issue prior to the garage visit? Symptoms?

The glowpugs are just that – heated elements in the combustion that assist a diesel in starting. (bit like a spark plug). They should not effect an engine turning over – firing yes but not turning over.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Turbo packed in which is why its in the garage – but when it broke down it wouldn't turn over when the breakdown guys arrived.

wwaswas

not wanting to be a doom merchant but it sounds like either bits of turbo have got in the engine or the engine had problems first which caused the turbo to blow. Either way you may end up with the head off at least to find out what the problem is.

bit late to ask this but why didn't the garage get the engine turning over before they fitted an expensive new turbo to it? At least you could have made an informed decision about repairing it?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Turbo was only £500 so not as expensive as OE (£1200) – not sure what has happened but I'm thinking expensive – need it to last another year as I can't afford to replace it now.

Marge
    Free Member

Sounds very serious.
    I would imagine the garage guys want to pull the plugs out to either:
    a) reduce the compression to see if that will enable the engine to turn over
    b) take a look down into the cylinders (with an endoscope) to see if there are any turbo bits down there!

How did the car stop? Why was the turbo identified as the 'issue'?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Turbo OK – only bit broken is the impeller shaft is siezed – so no bits in the engine

oily67
    Free Member

Is it a Renault per chance ??

Sounds like it drank all the oil when the turbo packed in and as a result the engine has siezed. Was there a mega cloud of smoke from the exhaust when the turbo failed & did the engine run on even when you removed the ignition key ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Car repair question…’ is closed to new replies.