Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Help – buggy/pushchair recommendations
  • RichardPennell
    Free Member

My wife is expecting our first little one in March. Very excited, but utterly clueless. We have been out today looking at pushchairs and strollers and I'm out of my depth!

We liked the Bugaboo Chameleon (but you could almost buy a bike for that) and I was thinking we could use that for a couple of years and then get a (much cheaper) Maclaren Techno XT. I thought both of these were pretty sturdy and folded away pretty well. Space is an issue for us in a small flat.

Any suggestions or experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks

TooTall
    Free Member

Bugaboo = stupid expensive. We've got a whole travel system for less than that. Have a look at Mothercare's own line too. You just have to test drive a load yourself.

clubber
    Free Member

First, congratulations. You won't know what's hit you 🙂 it is great though.

How tall are you and how about your wife? Important when choosing prams and buggies.

RichardPennell
    Free Member

Clubber I'm 6' but my wife is 5'3. Height hadn't even occurred to me!

geoffj

Try not to be taken in by the travel system thing.
    The best thing for us was:
    1. <6 months = car child seat which clipped onto a chassis;
    2. >6 months umbrella style stroller / buggy which folds down small.
    3. A papoose / rucksac carrier is better than those 3-wheeled all terrain buggies for getting outdoors.

If you can buy second hand, do.

These recommendations are as a result of going through 10 prams / pushchairs / buggys with 2 kids. Thanks god that chapter is now closed 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I'm 6'5" so it was quite an issue for me with kicking the back axle on lots of buggies. Since you're a short arse 😉 you may well be ok on that though. We got the quinny buzz which doesn't have a back axle. The other thing is the height difference – get one with adjustable handle height I reckon. My wife is 5'9" so not short but we definitely needed the adjustability to be comfortable on longer excursions.

Fwiw I just put the whole quinny in the attic today as we haven't used it for 6 months ( my son is 18 months now ). The buggy (maclaren techno iirc) is do much easier, smaller and more convenient though obviously not suitable for a newborn. If I was doing it all again, I'd probably buy a second hand pram.

RichardPennell
    Free Member

Clubber – I've been called quite a few things over the years but I can't recall being called a short arse before!

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Been having a look at eBay and gumtree and there's quite a bit of stuff knocking around second hand. In the meantime I shall try and do some more store visits and borrow friend's buggies for a test ride or two

Cheers

Richard

TooTall
    Free Member

Clubber – I'm surprised you would get something that is more suitable for tall people! You don't have the track record for it 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Lol. I just like getting the best product for me rather than the latest fad 😉

leeph
    Free Member

We've a MaxiCosi car seat and base (make's dropping the car seat into the car a lot easier). The Car seat can fit into the pushchair/pram which is a Quinny. Both light and can fit in the back of a 1 Series.

One word of wanring stay clear of M&P (Mamma's and Papa's) poor quality and even worse customer service.

hora
    Free Member

OP – depends on your needs.

My partner doesnt drive and is quite petite. Go into John Lewis and look at the Baby Jogger City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaxAejHZDjw

Check out 2.21 – this is what we liked. Up and down with one hand.

£199 and its 0-4yrs. 7kg in weight. Quinnys etc are 11kg 🙂 We looked at the Mclaren Techno as it fitted our needs however in the flesh its abit fragile compared to the above.

Car seat? We only use the car twice a week/car seat would stay permantely affixed in the car.

Ps. But what will Yummy Mummys think? The shame of not owning a 'in' pram that costs £500-750. Oh the shame 😉 🙄

Marmoset
    Free Member

Silver Cross Lineear Chasis with a freeway 'body'in Navy that we're loking to sell, along with the car seat, if you're interested? All the usual acoutrements.

http://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-range/pram-systems/linear-freeway/

As above, I'd buy secondhand one as they get used for a year then you start looking at the Mclaren type pushchairs then. Traavel ssystems generally aren't that small but really handy for when you just want to scoot out and keep the litlle 'un in the car seat but wheel them about (not for too long though)

Rich

luke
    Free Member

We had a m&p 3 wheeler jobbie with one of our kids and it failed more than once, the build quality vs the price was a joke.
    A maclaren stroller is fairly versatile, but we had a quinny zapp, that had a problem within 72hrs it had been picked up from mothercare (where we bought it) and returned fixed foc, even though it was me who damaged it.
    If we have another nipper we would go fot the quinny buzz, with the maxi cosi car seat/carrier.
    But try before you buy spend a day or two going around shops to see which works for you.

geoffj

As an aside, some friends had Bugaboo summatorother and loved it. It seemed decent quality, but was a basterd to put down and up, and they had to take the wheels off to get it in the car – Merc A Class. They sold it for a decent whack, and so it didn't cost too much over the life it was used for 2 kids. They are a bit lifestyle though IMHO.

bintangman
    Free Member

Richard
    Congratulations – good timing as well with Spring…

We got a Little Nipper and its been perfect. Really light, strong, and good price. Friends went for teh big systems and have ended up ditching them for mclarens, wheras ours has lasted the whole time. Wheels are good for rough paths and only issue is for the first month as we wished she had been facing towards us.

I'd really recommend it.

Pete

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&productId=12769&source=froogle&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shopping%20Sites-_-CPC-_-Froogle

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

ignore the mockers. the chamaleon is great. Lasted our little girl until she was 3. Light easy to fold good warranty. survived multiple trips into cargo holds unscaved and best of all we recouped over half the cost back after 3 years when we sold it. friends who bought mothercares own system regretted it- heavy and awkward. the quinny's also look good and the micralite is good if on a budget

richcc
    Free Member

You might have said but I missed it but most important thing is it fits in your car. Most of these things are surprisingly cumbersome and big even when folded. Make sure you test that before you buy. We bought bugaboo chameleon. As you said stupidly expensive – though we got a deal inc. Maxi cosi car seat online – but actually IMHO worth the cash

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

We bought a Mammas and Papas Pliko Prammete (2nd hand) it is like a big pushchair but has all the travel system features – folds small so easy to get onto public transport. Would recommend if you want a light and easy to use pram/pushchair.

On another note I am selling a brilliant icoo platoon all-terrain 3 wheeler, with pram/cot attachment and loads of extras (cover, footmuf etc.). This a heavy but sturdy, german made quality (alloy frame, wheels and suspension) it folds very easy. We struggled a little with getting it on public transport, but no probs getting it in a car boot etc. We paid around £500 for this a few years back and hardly used it so brilliant nick. Looking for just £80. Based in Glasgow (photos available). Will be sticking on ebay soon.

dtp555
    Free Member

We bought a Quinny speedy with pram attatchment, maxi cosi car seat and foot muff etc. Been fantastic and cant fault it. Got a bigger car seat now and a lightweight buggy as the little un is getting bigger. Its for sale – if your interested them email me for pics and info

cheers

Dave

scuttler

Firstly congratulations!

Just remember – mum trumps dad in the final decision stakes regardless of the evidence so make sure you get her on side early on with your choice. She mightn't be overly enthusiastic about second hand for a first child…

For the record we have a Loola that did the job from birth (with the rear facing car seat attachment thingy). We then added a light weight McLaren later on because it was a lot easier to manage (can fold it with one hand whilst clutching junior in the other). And then we added a second hand Phil and Teds (two seater) when number 2 came along and that is brill but I'm glad we didn't buy it new.

TooTall
    Free Member

most important thing is it fits in your car

WRONG!

Most important thing is that Mrs likes it. Nothing else in the world matters.

bintangman
    Free Member

the little nipper is pretty compact – when you take the wheels off it fits in teh boot of a new mini. £200 as well, so you couild get yourself a new hardtail for the amount you save from a bugaboo.

clubber
    Free Member

Amen to TooTall 🙂 Throw logic out of the window 🙂

RichardPennell
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your advice and congratulations, much appreciated.

Go into John Lewis and look at the Baby Jogger City
    Check out 2.21 – this is what we liked. Up and down with one hand.

Hora – I didn't really believe how easy the fold looked in that video so we went to John Lewis this morning for a trial run. The thing the video doesn't tell you is how easy the opening it back up is, too – unreal. This is my favourite so far, the wife is still deciding, though.

OrangeChammy and dtp555 – many thanks for the respective offers but I will pass I'm afraid. As TooTall very rightly said, my opinion is very much a secondary factor…!

Cheers all

fubar
    Free Member

Maclaren XT is a good pushchair (good raincover and footmuff make it weatherproof)…we have taken ours over some pretty rough ground and it has coped well. It is still pretty bulky when folded though.

We also have a (3 wheeler) Quinny Zapp – this folds really small and allows the car seat to be fitted as a carrier for the first few months…wife used this loads to get around on trains…and was excellent for this…downside…no bounce in the wheels…gets stopped by small stones…no real storage space and unstable if you try to hand anything off the handles (don't do it!)

Re: Mamas and Papas – do not get them to (try to) deliver anything…it was a shambles trying to sort out (same happened with our friends)…quality of goods we have are fine though

p.s. Our Quinny Zapp (in Pink) is now for sale (along with car seat which fits in it) – drop me a mail if anybody interested.

p.p.s

Most important thing is that Mrs likes it. Nothing else in the world matters.

…and this is how you end up owning three pushchairs (and expect one more yet!)…for her it's a bit like me buying bikes so I can't complain too much

hora
    Free Member

Richard Pennell — thats whats sold it to me. You have the baby in one hand and chair in the other etc etc.

The colours aren't 'bling' though. I dont care. We can spend money elsewhere.

mugsys_m8

Jané Powertrack.
    Not small, but 3 proper wheels and comes with a car bed rather than a maxi cosy. Sooo much better all round for longer journeys.

Spud

Many congrats to you both!!

We started with a Bugaboo as it was light and fitted in our (then) small car, it is great around town as it is very nimble. As soon as #2 arrived we soon realised we needed a pushchair that can accomodate two as a two year-old won't walk far at all. So we ended up with a Phil and Ted's with two seats. Does the job very well and we have given it some right hammer. I think there is now an alu framed version which would help a lot. Yes, we have spent a small fortune on them but we have used them a lot and the Phil and ted's will soon be off to Germany to our friends for their two.

Sod the 'can put the car seat on it' stuff it's better to get baby out of the car seat and let them stretch out. The Bugaboo is also pants off-road.

Good luck, try plenty and think (seriously) if you'll have another. If so definitely get one that can take two, you'll appreciate if when the day comes.

teagirl
    Free Member

Sounds like buggies have moved up several notches and my youngest is only 8 but if anyone needs a Mclaren double buggy (not with footmuff stuff) they are welcome to come and pick it up. It's mainly blue with yellow trim so not too gay. Spouse would love it to go, thinks I'm hanging on to it for sentimental reasons.

aleigh
    Free Member

i got travel systems twice and both times ended up with a stroller after 6mths 😆

i would just go for a baby friendly maclaren if i were you – it'll save you heaps in the long run

hora
    Free Member

Anyone else giggle over 'footmuff'? Everytime I heard it said I thought it sounded odd. Not dirty-odd just 'odd'

aleigh
    Free Member

Not dirty-odd just 'odd'

😆 such a fibber!

kerv
    Free Member

We have the out n about 360. Its so great. Literally you can take it any where. It steers beautifully. Its suitable from birth aswell so you cab use it flat. Then when your kiddy is a few months old you can sit them up in it. I think it is actually lighter than the bugaboo. The best thing about it is it fold up and down so easily and is totally non gimic. Im expecting another and am now trying to get a double version. Basically if you like walking and going out shopping or even running this is a total beauty. Also they do it in camel charchol or black so its quite a good one for the men to push about!!.
    It costs about 175 new and i bet if you put it on ebay after youve finished with it youd get good money back as they hold their value. Make sure if you do get this you get the 360 version.

Down side to it is it can get punctures so you need to be prepared for this

kerv
    Free Member

b t w the out n about 360 is the same as the little nipper

nickhart
    Free Member

regardless of cost or styling etc make sure you can both use it easily. we found a great one, can't remember now it was 8 years ago. did everything brill, sorted we thought. me being anal about these things asked the better half to pick it up with one hand as if she was putting it in the boot of the car with the other hand full. she couldn't lift it high enough even with both arms. we ended up being strict about the tests as though we were knackered (you will be), it was raining (it will be) or you were in a confined space (again you will be, sooner or later).
    again on practicality, get one that has options built in like the car seat then cot and then stroller. it'll save you time and money in the long run. go for patterned fabric, it hides the sick and the food stains and also removable covers.
    oh, enjoy parenthood it's tops. 😆

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Help – buggy/pushchair recommendations’ is closed to new replies.