Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help! Bought a Hope headset… is anything missing?!
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hi all! Got my shiny new Hope headset through the post today, but on comparing the components to the parts list it doesn’t seem to all add up. Would it be possible for someone with more experience let me know if I’m missing something?

I don’t seem to have any kind of o-ring that fits under the top-cap (part 9 in the instructions, I checked underneath) but I’ve been given three shims to make up for it (part 8). Is this normal?

Here is a picture of everything, I assume parts 6 and 7 are already combined as the top-cap:

Here is the parts list:

Thank you all for your help, it will be very gratefully received!

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Part 9 is a rubber o-ring and is already inside part 7 in your photo (I think).

poppa
    Free Member

Aha! Yes, I just removed the rubber outer-ring from the top-cover (parts 6 and 7) and can see the rubber o-ring is left inside.

Brilliant, thank you very much!

Let the fitting begin…

jimmyjames
    Free Member

The three shims are part 8 (it say QTY 3 in the table). I assume you use all of them, therefore.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Or maybe they just give you 3, I have no idea, actually!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

There are three shims provided so you can get the set up of the headset just right. I think I only used one on the Hope headset I fitted to my bike.

Hope headsets are a great bit of kit by the way.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The 3 shims are in case you get play (I think!)
    Last time I installed a Hope headset I ended up using them all (due to play), but have never needed more than one previously.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

The 3 shims are in case you get play

Thats what I meant to say.

SteveL
    Free Member

I thought the shims were there to reduce the drag of the top seal on the headset cup, no? You want to use enough shims to reduce the drag but not some many as to leave a gap between the seal and the cup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! Bought a Hope headset… is anything missing?!’ is closed to new replies.