Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – A Fork Conundrum
  • Chris-H
    Free Member

Hi All,

So I’ve been picking up a few cheap bits to upgrade the Mrs machine and some forks are the only thing left on the list. Amazed how much c%^p there is out there being sold at quite high prices!

So do I:

a) Get a near new but low range shock – the RS 318 Solo Air is the main candidate there seem to be a few around…
    b) Get an older shock like a Fox 32 or maybe an old RS SID – these would be between 4-8 years old so would be a bit rolling the dice in terms of longevity / problems but technically higher spec?
    c) Not bother – let her put up with the crummy Suntour… probably not an option as she hurt her back on the weekend keeping up, not really a surprise being battered with that thing at the front…

Cheers all!

Chris

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with an older SID. Just don’t.

I’d keep a close eye on the classifides if I were you. There’s a fair few 2-4 year old forks at stonking prices about nowadays, jus becasue everyone wants more travel.

I’ve sold Recons at £95 and Reba U-turns for £120, and seen 100mm Fox Floats for £110 (I fitted them for someone, they were mechanically perfect!)
    For the same price as new Toras you’ll get a bargain if you’re patient and quick, try putting a wanted ad up maybe?

wwaswas

I’ve just sold some F100 floats for £100 – they were in good nick just had a short steerer. as per PP keep an eye on the classifieds – good stuff comes up.

tomhughes46

Tora Sola Air, with MoCo (Not Turnkey) damping are actually pretty good, if a little heavy. Probably a better buy then old shagged, flexy SIDs, and can get with poploc etc.

Avoid RS Darts like the plague…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Really old SIDs are a world of maintainence pain, the (’08?) one which were the last of the skinny ones before the current models are fab forks:

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Older Vanillas/Floats/Rebas/Revs are the way to go. Fitted some ’04 Vanillas to my mate’s bike earlier this year and they’ve been mechanically perfect.

Chris-H
    Free Member

Cheers guys – you’ve echoed some thoughts I had about the really old stuff… current front runner is Tora Solo Air with Motion Control for c.£120, does that sound pretty good as they’re nearly new or can I do better?

neilc
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of ’05 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 forks that I will be selling very soon (just waiting for a new rebound knob to arrive in the post).
    Insides are all good, the paintwork on the lowers is a little bit scuffed though. Also they are a weird sandy colour that may not be to everyone’s taste…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help – A Fork Conundrum’ is closed to new replies.