Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • helmet light recomendations/advice please
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

thinking of picking one up to run along with my bar mounted set.
    any help please. ak

tk46hal
    Free Member

Exposure Joystick helmet mount kit!
    Expensive, but good!

djflexure

Got a Fourth Genesis 3 spot recently and it works well.

Not mega money.

Rides of 3 hours have been fine.

Very easy to use.

Moved on from a Joystick.

JoeG
    Free Member

Ay-Up. Their gecko helmet mount system is fantastic.

rickmeister

+1 for the AyUps… small, powerful, long burn time…

Northwind

What’s your existing light? (it’s relevant because if it’s a good one, it’s going to affect how useful the helmet light is).

My advice, don’t piss about with expensive low powered lights, get yourself to ebay, get a Magicshine MJ-872. There’s very little that’s better and it’s all much more expensive.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Northwind: I second that MJ872 is fab. I think it must be the best value light out there at the minute. As this is what I actually have – what helmet light would match in your opinion?

Northwind

That I don’t know… I planned to use the MJ872 as a bar light, but it made my 1000-lumen helmet light seem pointless. So instead I use the MJ as a helmet light, and that’s all I need- more effective than having it on the bars and a second light on the head. (I’ve still got an old P7 light on the bars just for infill and backup)

The only thing I’ve found that I’d partner with the MJ872 is another one.

jamiec360
    Free Member

872 on bars and nightrider minewt 600 on helmet, the folks at Quest rated it much better than the diablo which was my first (and much more expensive) choice.
    Great build easy to use still quite heavy but seems very bright given the suggested lumen difference with the872

steve_b77
    Free Member

What’s the burn time on these magic shine 872’s?

teamralph74
    Free Member

Just to chip in on the MJ872 debate, run time is pretty decent up to 3 hours, toggle between light levels, I blast mine up to full on serious downhills and then back down for pottering along. As regards a helmet light it gave me a bit of a sore neck after a ride of a couple of hours, so not sure if its a great option for that. Just my opinion tho, and other people obviously find it okay.

Northwind

The head unit’s lighter than most so tbh if it’s going to give you neck ache, so will pretty much anything.

Can’t really comment on burn time since I vary the power levels so much, certainly good for over 4 hours but that would have a fair amount of time on low setting (which is not dull).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘helmet light recomendations/advice please’ is closed to new replies.