Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • helmet in dishwasher
  • pullfaces
    Free Member

I have recently acquired a dishwasher.
    I washed a three year old very well used grubby helmet in it today.
    I can only report back that it was an unmitigated success and I’d recommend it.
    The straps are almost like new and I was contemplating disposing of it.

55°C eco setting worked a treat. Probably invalidated the warranty but at three years old I don’t think that’s an issue.
    With the new pads I’ve bought it was worth the hassle of fitting the dishwasher myself.

R.lepecha

Surely it would knacker the polystyrene?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i wouldnt be worried about the warranty, more if it will still do its job.

Note that excessive heat can damage your helmet. For example, in direct sunlight a dark gear bag, the interior of a car, or an automobile trunk can get hot enough to cause heat damage (damaged helmets will appear to have uneven or bubbly surfaces).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pullfaces
    Free Member

I was apprehensive, but I can honestly say I can’t see any damage.

All that was done to it was that it was sprayed with 55°C soapy water for ages then rinsed. Things don’t move about in a dishwasher otherwise all the plates would break.
    Test ride tomorrow.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Planning on crashing tomorrow too?
    I wouldn’t dishwash a helmet for the reasons mentioned above.

Stoner
    Free Member

helmet in dishwasher

I just call it “shagging the wife”, but I guess there’s euphemisms for everything these days…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Stoner +1.

Also, your head will be fine if you crash.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Troll surely?

No one is that stupid?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I have recently acquired a dishwasher.
    I washed a three year old very well

I normally bath my three year old but maybe a short stint in the dishwasher is a better idea! Did you use Johnson’s no more tears or just stick with the dishwasher salts??

bland

You saying there is something wrong with a dirty stinking helmet?

pullfaces
    Free Member

I’ve been washing shoes and trainers (not leather ones) in the washing machine for years so I thought I’d give an otherwise greased up chuckable helmet a go in the dishwasher.
    Is 55°C excessive heat? I can put my hand in water that warm.
    No bubbles or anything on the helmet.
    Also I’d forgotten it was a colour I never really liked in the first place – only one in lbs that fitted when I needed one after breaking previous one.
    dirtbiker100 – But of course I’m planning on crashing tomorrow.
    Just after the three hundred and seventy second tree on the right after the wallow. You know the place surely.
    Come along and watch . Should be about 12.15 local time.

Pieface

Knackered Polystyrene AND rotational injuries?

Sounds like the worst of both worlds

GlitterGary
    Free Member

TJ to the forum please.

phiiiiil

I’ve washed mine in hot soapy water in the sink and that has made buggerall difference, what is a dishwasher going to do that’s worse than that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ Stoner

pullfaces
    Free Member

Of course, no one on here has ever left their helmet in the car on a hot sunny day.

I shall do an experiment over the weekend with two large bits of polystyrene packaging. I shall wash one bit in the dishwasher but not the other. I shall then hit both bits with a large rubber mallet and observe the difference.
    All providing I survive tomorrow’s crash. But as I was intending to fall sideways and land on my posterior hopefully all should be well.
    Oh no, hang on, I think I once washed my shorts with towels on a 60°C wash. Will they bubble and will my bum survive? Or does the lycra just lose its elasticity? I won’t bounce!

_tom_
    Free Member

helmet in dishwasher

I just call it “shagging the wife”, but I guess there’s euphemisms for everything these days…

Actual LOL 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

TJ to the forum please.

Hello.

It seems a daft thing to do if you ask me. risking damage to the EPS However I have no data to base that on. LHS is the man you need.

*shouts*

LHS to the forum please

andrewh
    Free Member

I do shoes and things in the washing machine at 30deg and despite all the warning not to they are all absolutely fine. [Note, XC running spikes do pull quite a lot of threads in dressing-gowns]

Never really figured out the dishwasher controls, do most have cold setting like washing machines do? If I can get mine to d it at 30deg I’ll try my helmet in t too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 @stoner quote of the week

prettygreenparrot

‘soapy water’. Er dishwasher fluid or cubes are highly caustic. The combination of alkali and sand-like grains are what turns your glasses cloudy after a few washes. Even the fluid, with its lack of grains, turns glasses cloudy after a while.

Not sure that I’d like to wear a helmet that had been through a dishwasher. Probably better to follow the instructions and use ‘mild, soapy water’. Or wear it in the shower a few times?

Stoner – 😆

lipseal
    Free Member

I always clean my helmet in the shower then polish it with the towel, works for me.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

spd’s in washing machine – check
    bike in shower – check

helmet in dishwasher – oh thats a new one

might try gel filled gloves in microwave to keep hands warm in winter 😆

rustler
    Free Member

You should see the Hone cranks I dishwashered, its made the black coating go all chalky. Stuff like mechs & cassettes come up spotless.
    Not about to chuck £50’s worth of Hex in though.

Stoner
    Free Member

black coating go all chalky

Annodising does not like salt in a big way. Dishwashers use a lot of salt in their detergent (not just the softener) and it makes a right mess of anything annodised – like my nice anolon pans 🙁

Hairychested
    Free Member

@Stoner, you’re The Genius!

allthepies
    Free Member

High fives the auger man.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, I suppose he can always eat his dinner out of it now if nothing else*

*yes, there’s probably another euphmisim in there too!

molgrips
    Free Member

I can honestly say I can’t see any damage.

Doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Helmet = safety gear. Do not f about with safety gear and go against the instructions.

As above – dishwasher detergent is NOT soap and is a lot more caustic. Lots of things are not dishwasher safe – ever wonder why? It’s a nasty environment.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

pullfaces – I think the consensus is that you would be far safe to ride without a helmet from now on. Not only will it explode into bubbly surfaces rubble at the first sign of a tree, the salt will eat into your skull leaving you with hair like TJs..

wwaswas

Doesn’t everyone take their helmet into the shower and just give it a good shampoo and a rub with a flannel?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

wwwas – I think (some of them) are talking about bicycle helmets 😉

wwaswas

😳

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I tried a mac keyboard in the dishwasher (one of the old clear plastic based ones). Definitely came super clean but 3 of the keys were not working afterwards. I’m not certain they were working before but suspect they would have been.

55c sounds a bit hot for a polystyrene helmet to me.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Why don’t you try it in the washing machine next time?

My bike helmet smells like pickled onion monster munch, should I where it in the shower?

(Other corn snacks are available)

stgeorge

tea/computer screen interface……….very good 🙂

Zoolander
    Free Member

It’s a good plan as long as you don’t get confused when unloading the dishwasher….

Saccades
    Free Member

Annodising does not like salt in a big way. Dishwashers use a lot of salt in their detergent (not just the softener) and it makes a right mess of anything annodised – like my nice anolon pans

It’s not the salt – it’s the caustic in the dishwasher soap/liquid that’s partially stripping the anodising.

Saccades
    Free Member

Oh and you need to order this document ($11) to get a bit of an idea (although thats palm strand reinforced) of the effect it will have.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=22881015

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Bicycle helmet tests for most standards use one wet sample, immersed for at least four hours before the wet test. So you know that the helmet can be immersed in water and still perform. But do not leave it immersed for long periods of time, since the materials will absorb some water, and that may affect the adhesives used in construction. In addition, foam saturated in water usually gives a harder landing on flat surfaces.

Never use solvents or harsh cleaning materials on your helmet, since some of them may attack the foam or the shell and weaken the helmet. Gasoline, for example, dissolves EPS foam so well that in some developing countries the resulting gunk is used as glue.

Never put your helmet in a washing machine, dryer, microwave or dishwasher to clean it!

If you are concerned that someone who has worn your helmet may have had head lice, put the helmet in a plastic bag for two weeks until any nits left behind have hatched and died. (See our page on lice for more solutions).

So it seems you’re more or less likely to have killed off the lice? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘helmet in dishwasher’ is closed to new replies.