Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helicopter tape question
  • Everlong
    Free Member

Hi all

I've recently had my Orange 5 refinished (it looks amazing, like a new bike! I would strongly suggest anyone that is considering getting this done to go for it! You will not be dissapointed!) and I am looking to protect the finish on it (this time).

I've been told to use Helicopter tape to cover the exposed areas but I don'#t know where to get any.

My questions are:

Where can I buy Helicopter tape?

How much will I need to protect the frame from general ware?

Any tips on fitting/installing…whatever you call it?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Evers 😀

rootes1

Ebay – there is a seller called bike tape / bike tart who sells small rolls from which you can cut to shape. Good product, good price and quick service. Search for helicopter tape.

Driller
    Free Member

Just Riding Along. Proper stuff, good price, great service.

Simples.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Halfords sell something very similar, made by Foliatec i think, and it's designed to go on front bumpers or bonnets to protect from stonechips…

sting
    Free Member

Bike Tart +1 8)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

HeliTape contact duanebw(at)gmail.com

poisonspider
    Free Member

Everlong
    I covered my new O5 with it earlier this year, the flat sections (like the sides of the swing arm) are fine, however the underside of the downtube is a bit of a bugger. The weld seam down the middle means you can't get it perfectly flat so you get gaps at the end which list dirt and sh*t underneath. It still stops stone chips but looks after a while it looks a bit manky.

Also, avoid putting it where you're likely to clamp it in a stand, if you have one, because it can pull the tape off if you try and rotate it with opening the clamp properly. I used proper 3M stuff on my old Turner and it's much much better (the glue is totally different and it's thinner and more flexible). With hindsight I wish I'd got the pukka stuff for the Orange.

Everlong
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks to all who replied. I'll have a look at the above and get sorted from there.

Thanks again. 😀

grantway
    Free Member

Done the whole of my newly re-sprayed Orange 5
    I used onlinebikes
    They sell tape in large sheets and ideal for the
    swing arm Its around £ 6 quid a sheet

theotherjonv

another tip, get a hairdryer or hot air gun and warm it up before putting it on, the tape goes a lot more flexible which allows you to mould it around corners and seams that bit better.

simon1975

+1 for hairdryer method. Warm the frame, apply tape, then heat it again whilst moulding

rootes1

yes and clean the surface before sticking!

Everlong
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks again all. I really appreciate your time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter tape question’ is closed to new replies.