Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heating oil and cold temps – problematic?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Our oil fired rayburn has started puthering and making a lot of soot (tonight) – could this be due to very cold fuel oil?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bump

large418
    Free Member

Wouldn't have thought so, not unless the oil is below -20degC or so. More likely to be blocked jets or something. Do you have an old nozzle you can fit to try?

richmars

No problems here but only about -3 deg C.

Bear
    Free Member

shouldn't be a problem, unless you are using 35sec oil (more like red diesel and used on older oil boilers mainly on farms)

The only times I've had a problem is when you get some water in the oil line. Have you got a stell or plastic tank?

Could be coincidence and just that the applinace needs servicing

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Been having the same problem here. About a week ago our rayburn stopped overnight so we assumed the oil had run out. Turns out we had plenty oil and the next day had it going again without any probs. Same thing happened yesterday so we're having it serviced tomorrow.

The section of pipe from the tank into the ground is very exposed and has been literally covered in a block of ice. Even though the oil(kerosene) wont freeze until -60 or so, any dirt or moisture drawn through the line from the tank will. I suspect this is causing our problem.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

our tank is down to 30% is so i think that may be the issue. Trouble is that the oil co. cannot get int o fill it due to the snow!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Heating oil and cold temps – problematic?’ is closed to new replies.