Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Headset problem…quick advice needed
  • kevster
    Free Member

Just pressing in a headset to frame using homemade press. Top cup is going on straight however lower has gone wonky.

What should I do? Will this have damaged headset or more importantly the frame?

nickdavies

When you say going in straight sounds like you’re pressing them in both at the same time? Pop the lower one out and start again pushing it in level. I do them one at a time.

kevster
    Free Member

Yep, just knocked it out and can’t have been very far in as knocked out with hardly a hit! Do you think frame will be ok. Tried doing just the top cup but won’t go in easily at all!

kevster
    Free Member

Looking at it the headset only went in about as far as you can push with your hands. Now deciding whether to buy new h/set and tool or take it to the shop!

duncancallum

What’s the frame made from.

Can you not drift it in?

otsdr
    Free Member

Use some smaller washers so that they sit inside the cup; tighten the press as far as you can without forcing, then gently tap the cup along its circumference with a rubber mallet. Repeat until cup is seated.

kevster
    Free Member

It’s a steel 853 frame

Northwind

It’ll be fine, even with an alu frame you have to make a titanic cock of it to have any chance of hurting the frame- the headset’s by far the weaker part. But chances that even the headset’s damaged are very slim. I’d batter it in with a hammer, personally, never fails.

(I own a headset press, never use it now though.)

kevster
    Free Member

There’s no marks or deformation of the headset. May get LBs to take a look and stick a headset in for me.

kevster
    Free Member

Took it to the shop and he said absolutely no damage. He said the headset would be damaged long before the frame and the headset has no mark on it. He said the cups were not even going in due to paint overspray, the frame needs reaming and facing.

bikeneil
    Free Member

he frame needs reaming and facing pressing in, then charging for reaming and facing.

banks
    Free Member

Stick the headset in the freezer first..

isitafox
    Free Member

Yup that’s a sales pitch!

bencooper
    Free Member

Some frames do need reaming and facing. That’s why Park and others make reaming and facing tools, and why bike shops invest lots of money in them. It’s a precision bearing, it’s quite important to get it reasonably straight.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I usually tap them in with a hammer and block of wood by eye then give a good wack to seat it properly. not had any problems or premature failures. would be different on carbon frame though

Northwind

If it’s a well made frame, you can remove paint overspray/powdercoat overgloop without reaming tools- you’re just taking it back to the metal which hopefully is made right.

Reaming and facing should be a myth. It should be done before they leave the factory but manufacturers can get away with cutting that corner, so, no reason to assume the shop is trying it on.

kevster
    Free Member

You could see the paint overspray and he measured it with his calibration tool. I’m often pessimistic about things like this but on this occasion think its worth doing.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. What frame was it?

kevster
    Free Member

853 Prince Albert Classic

pictonroad

PA?

Tough as boots, knock it in with a bit of wood. I’m sure I’m a miracle of good fortune but i have never used anything other than a soft mallet or a bit of wood and I’ve never had premature headset bearing wear in 20 years of building bikes.

^ as said up there, it might be a precision component but it doesn’t really go round and round a lot does it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

it doesn’t really go round and round a lot does it?

Bit more to this bearing lark than that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Headset problem…quick advice needed’ is closed to new replies.