Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset problem
  • prezet
    Free Member

I’ve just installed a new FSA Orbit MX, and have a problem with the tension. If I tighten the top allen bolt (with stem bolts loose) to the point of removing play, then the steering becomes too tight and doesn’t move very freely.

However, to get the steering to move freely enough, the bolt is too loose and there’s noticeable play in the headset.

Both sealed bearing cartridges and races were lightly greased before installation.

Can anyone help with ideas?

bassspine
    Free Member

octuple check that there isn’t something fitted in the wrong order.

sambob
    Free Member

Mine is also very slightly loose, just enough to creak. I think they come up slightly small.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

something in the wrong order / upside down causing binding.

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve stripped it, rebuilt it several times, still the same problem. The bearing cartridges are angled so can only go in one way around.

From the top:

topcap
    ——
    stem
    spacers
    ——
    bearing cover
    top race
    rubber seal
    bearing cartridge
    top cup
    ——
    head tube
    ——
    bottom cup
    bearing cartridge
    rubber seal
    lower race
    ——

PJay
    Free Member

Generally I find that headtubes don’t need facing, but on my current bike after pressing the headset, even the smallest amount of preload was causing binding. In the end having the headtube faced solved the problem.

If you do have everything in the right way and still can’t get it sorted it might be worth a try.

prezet
    Free Member

Sorted. Stripped down again, and discovered the rubber seals were the wrong way up. Doh.

Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset problem’ is closed to new replies.