Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Headset problem
  • avdave2

I’m having trouble getting my headset set. I can set it correctly with the top allen bolt, no knocking and the steering is free but when I tighten the stem it becomes loose and knocks when rocked back and forth with the front brake on. I’ve had it apart and all the bearings seem smooth and it hasn’t suffered any trauma. I’ve tried both my suspension forks and my rigid forks and the problem is the same. I’ve also turned the bike over and manually rocked the forks to be sure that’s where the problem is.I assume it is the headset which is faulty, an FSA Orbit XLII, but I want to make sure I’m not missing another possibility. The problem has only arisen since I changed the front brake from a v brake to an BB7 and I’m assuming that the new experience and stresses of coming to a stop quickly has caused the headset to give in.
    Any ideas welcome before I order a new headset.

cynic-al
    Free Member

very difficult to say without seeing it. There’s very little to go wrong with headsets so I wouldn’t replace that just yet. Have you tried overtightening the headset? Is the steerer clean and dry? Star nut ok?

LBS had a look?

avdave2

I can over tighten the headset and cure the knocking but then the steering starts to bind. There is no sign of a problem with the star nuts and I have tried 2 pairs of forks. I will try stripping it down again and cleaning everything. The thing I find puzzling is that I can set it up ok and then tightening the stem causes the headset to become loose. It’s nearly as frustrating as the old threaded headsets where the lock nut always seemed to move the top race just enough to cause binding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

wear to bearings or races?

cynic-al
    Free Member

tried a different stem?

Wally

Have you put the bearings in upside down when changing forks?

avdave2

Bearings are in correctly, tried putting them the other way to be sure I was right. I will try another stem at the weekend as I can rob one of the old Marin. My thinking is that the bearings have been on the way out and that the extra stress from having a working front brake has taken them over the edge. The thing that puts a doubt in my mind is that they still feel smooth and that makes me think they are ok. However I’ve never worn a headset out before so I have nothing to go on. The bike is 3 years old and is my all year round commuter and has been commuting off road for the last year so it gets plenty of use in all weathers.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try turning the bars 90 degrees to the side and see if you have the knocking then. It may just be a bit of play in the forks.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Are you sure the play isn’t in the brake caliper/pad/rotor?

I had something similar for a while with a cane creek and even though I thought i’d put to together correctly, twice, infact I hadn’t compressed all the bits together quite right and there was a little play in the headset.

avdave2

Update

Took it all apart and cleaned everything. Reassembled and tightened and everything ok until I tightened the stem when again it became loose.
    So start again, set headset, tighten stem until play occurs, tighten headset again with stem still lightly tightened, tighten stem fully = no more problem, no knocking, no binding.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

That’s a bit weird, but glad you got it sorted!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Do you have enough stem-spacers in?? If you’ve not enough (and the top cap’s *just* touching the steerer), no amount of tightening your headset will help cos there’s no slack to take up.

Just a thought. I’ve seen it happen a few times.

avdave2

Thurman Merman I added a spare in case that was a problem but it’s all working without it.

I have now identified the problem and can report that it was caused by a misaligned headset logo – schoolboy error I know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Headset problem’ is closed to new replies.