Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • headset not set!
  • sonik
    Free Member

a bit of a cheeky one this, but has anyone got a headset press i can borrow in or around the rochdale area?
    i've just noticed the bottom cup of my headset is slightly not flush to the tube, and i've had enough of the rubber mallet/block of wood routine!!

sonik
    Free Member

ps..i would buy one if it wasn't for now only working 2 bloody days a week 😳

spooky_b329

Not slightly flush? Seriously, just tap the high side in. You could probably even install your forks and risk sacrificing a star nut to pull it all together.

sonik
    Free Member

already tried to pull it all together, and i've been riding it like this, but the steering isn't smooth enough [pulls to the left side!].

highclimber
    Free Member

Try…

and

bigyinn
    Free Member

Block of wood + hammer and tap it home. It'll be fine.

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 for heavier hammer a sharp tap should seat it.

sonik
    Free Member

still feeling nervous about the old block and hammer routine 🙄

highclimber
    Free Member

I did it with mine, went in like a dream.

johni
    Free Member

Some big washers, long bolt and a nut is my DIY headset press. Works a treat

jond
    Free Member

A word of warning – I built up an Enduro some years back, fitted a Pig DH – bottom cup was *really* tight – couldn't get it quite flat against the headtube, or even remove it with the proper rocket tool.
    LBS monkey couldn't shift it (monkey on account of taking lots of little nicks out of the inside of the headtube with whatever screwdriver the idiot had been using).
    Spesh UK kindly whipped it out (half handlebar as a drift works rather better it seems) and refaced it just in case. It looked like the powerdercoat on the cup had kinda galled on the inside of the headtube – pretty sure they come in a little oversize compared to some headsets as a result of the powdercoat.

So before you start lobbing a hammer at it, bear in mind whether there's any reason it's stuck…

fubar
    Free Member

I have one somewhere (well I should have, I'll have to check if I can find it). I'm not wanting to lend it out (sorry – don't know you) but if you are near-by I might be able to pop round and wait whilst you use it.
    Drop me an email, let me know which area you are in and I'll see if I can help.

sonik
    Free Member

finally got it sorted. no need for any agressive hammer action. just took the forks off and put them back on again!!!!

FUBAR- thanks for the offer of coming round with a press, didnt need it in the end, but i appreciate the kindness. cheers [just down the road from you to].

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘headset not set!’ is closed to new replies.