Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Hazzah – DrP's "Brighton-London-Brighton" gravel ride is a go go… 9/9/17..
  • DrP

So.. it’s third (I think) year in the running and we’ve had literally ‘some’ people turn up each year.

You know the drill, as per the post last year and the subsequent write up, you’ll be in for a full day of adventure and thrills*, courtesy of the good ‘trusted by some’ DrP, and mister ‘I smiled once’ Pictonroad…

On 9th September 2017 we’ll be at the foot of Brighton Pier at 0730 (cycling from Worthing, if you fancy a few extra miles?).
    We shall then head due North towards Londinium, via 60ish miles of the South’s loveliest roads.

We meet at Clapham Common for some terrible coffee, bimble through the big smoke, then return back to Brighton via 75 miles of light off road/gravel/gnarmaccadam…

The astute amongst you will remember this follows the BHF L2B route on road (in reverse, obvz…) and then the BHF L2B off-road routes.

Pier to pier is 130ish miles (about 236km) so it’s 36km better than the Dirty reiver**

There’s a few people not keen on the whole lot who meet us in London – that works too…

Post your interest below and I shall literally be hitting f5 as the names all pile up…..

Go on..it’s not that hard…

DrP

*neither adventure nor thrills can be promised
    **Not true – that looks better, but is too far North for me to get a pass for

bikebouy
    Free Member

Likes.
    Won’t be attending mind but I support your never ending enthusiasm.

DrP

Appreciated 😉

Thought this would be your sort of thing??

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t not rule out maybe considering coming this year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is right up my “thing” indeed it is. But I’ve let you down the last two years and decided to put you out of your misery before the day before.. if you get my drift.

Have fun, you always seem to and it’s great hearing your stories.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can’t not rule out maybe considering coming this year.

I might possibly go as far as this.

shermer75
    Free Member

Battered sausage?

DrP

Mostly..even chamois cream can only do so much after 160 miles….

Btw, I’ll even extend food and lodgings at chez P the night before if anyone’s traveling from abroad (I.e out of Sussex!)

DrP

thomthumb
    Free Member

It is right up my “thing” indeed it is. But I’ve let you down the last two years

+1.

I’d like to come…

MoreCashThanDash

I’d love to do that, but being now based in Derby rather than Crawley I fear it’s unlikely to happen.

Good on you for organising what sounds like a cracking ride.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what sort of pace are you thinking of setting as you are no slouch

Granted I am not quite at STW levels of pie related unfitness but i wont be ever gracing the dizzying heights of a podium at a SS championship

garage-dweller

Now I quite fancy a “gravel” bike to rationalise the current excessive pile of bikes.

It’s a century and I’ve not done one of them before and there’s some off-road (OR I could be a wuss and start at Clapham).

It’s not THAT far away BUT 7.30 in Brighton is quite early.

It might be slightly less deranged than the idea of doing the SDW in a day and I might, just might, actually get some miles in before then.

BUT junkyard suggested you might be fit and I like pie…

Decisions decisions 🙂

singletrackmind

Maybe this year could be the year of Brighon – London – Hayling. Having failed at this in the first year , then successfully completed Brighton – London – Brighton in year 2 . This might time to re-visit Brighton-London-Hayling Island.
    As I do not own a gnarmac bike this will be on tarmac .
    Its a good ride, the cafe in London is suitably bad and Brighton at 0700 is a sight to behold to us athletes ……..

pictonroad

pace will be upper middling

DrP

Strava says last year’s 260 odd km was 21.8km/h average…I think that’s moving.

It was chatting and giggling pace, put it that way…

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

I’m in the Alps actually. So ahhhm oot sadly.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good on you for organising what sounds like a cracking ride.

+1

What sort of time do you think you’ll be getting to Clapham Common?

DrP

Hey hey..DrP giving this a bump!!

Just over 2 months to go… I’m crossing fingers the weather holds out!

Answering a few questions above…
    I’m sure we get to Clapham about 1130-12….
    A few people do meet us there just for the off road section..
    If anyone just fancies the road ride up (very pleasant it is too..) then feel free to meet us in Brighton 🙂

DrP

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I’m interested and will keep an eye on things, but can’t commit until nearer the time when I know if the planets align in terms of weather, being injury free and family commitments etc etc blah blah.

Think 40c Nano’s might be a bit draggy for the road jaunt?

nedrapier

Nuts (battered). Got holiday penciled in for that week. I’d be bang up for some Off Road action if we move it. Knees don’t seem to like much more than about 60 miles at the moment.

jimdubleyou

Once again, I fancy the off road bit starting from near my house, but can’t make it.

You’ll all be too speedy for me anyway…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m still keen. thinking of drving from sarfampton. can i park at Adur Rec all day? for free? otherwise i might go withdean.

I don’t want the extra miles from worthing, thanks 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I still haven’t found a saddle comfortable enough for this length of a ride. 🙁

TimP
    Free Member

I have done some of the road bit with DrP et al and it is a reasonable speed (about 26km/hr) but tucked in at the back it wasnt so bad. There was no expectation to take a turn on the front. The solo ride home was a lot harderer!!

I will see if I can make some of the road bit again

wwaswas

There was no expectation to take a turn on the front

on your part or theirs 😉

TimP
    Free Member

Mine for sure!!

TimP
    Free Member

Come on Wwaswas, your Cooker would be perfect for it!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I still haven’t found a saddle comfortable enough for this length of a ride.

I’ve got charge knife/ spoon on gravel/ road bikes. i like them. If i had the £ i’d be trying a brooks cambium C15.

wwaswas

your Cooker would be perfect for it!!

if only the same could be said of my legs…

DrP

Think 40c Nano’s might be a bit draggy for the road jaunt?

I hope not..’tis what I’m running…

Nice to see a few new names interested, adn a few old names still whinging 😉

DrP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Still a maybe, it’s not long after SSUK so it’s more likely that I may have some fitness if not gears.

TimP
    Free Member

Quick bump

flashinthepan
    Free Member

SS championship podium?

I’m out.

swanny853

You’re going within about 1/3 of a mile of my house. This is tempting!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SS championship podium?

You’re safe, I got cramp and opted to marshal/heckle.

I’m full of a horrible lurgy anyway, I kidded myself on monday that it was just horse-ness and whisky, turns out it’s full on man-flu.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Someday maybe when I own a gravel bike…

Have fun

fasthaggis

Can I bring a friend?

flange
    Free Member

Just out of interest, how ‘off-road’ is the off-road bit? 28mm GP4000s off-road, or super-tacky HR2 off road?

asking for a friend…

DrP

flange.. It’s geax saguro type territory…
    My 40c WTB nanos will be perfect – nil gnarly at all – thames link, a bit of forest trail, and downs link…

HR super tackys would be a nightmare. As would 28c raodie tyres!

fasthaggis – all i can hear in my head now is Kuvanu saying “I’m…..coming….to ride” in his gormless way…..!!

So this is still on… weather looking ‘variable’… will see how the short range forcast pans out…

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lucky lucky best best of lucky y’all !!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Hazzah – DrP's "Brighton-London-Brighton" gravel ride is a go go… 9/9/17..’ is closed to new replies.