• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • It's almost time for "DrP's brighton-london-brighton" shindig…(next weekend!)
  • DrP

Eek, time has flow by and Saturday the 17th of September is nearly upon us!
    I had meant to post a reminder last week, but clearly failed!!

As a reminder of the day’s itinerary:
    Meet at Brighton pier at 0730..
    Ride to Clapham via the BHF L2B road route (but in reverse…duh..)
    Bacon sarnies at the Clapham cafe..
    Traverse Clapham to Roehampton uni..
    Follow the BHF L2B off-road route back to brighton 🙂

It’s a fair ol’ stint – about 135ish miles!
    Hopefully the weather will be kind to us – though I’d suggest packing a small mac.

Other things that are good to bring..
    -Monies for crisps and pop, and booze ..
    -Snacks
    -“Bants” (I believe this means chucklesome camaraderie..)
    -A gnarmac/enduroad/Kris-Cross type bike
    -Sensible stuff – some tubes probably, a few tools, pants and vests etc..(I’ll bring an inhaler – promise!)

Pictonroad and myself shall be riding across to Brighton from Worthing, if anyone fancies adding a few (well, 12) more miles to the route!

I believe there was some good interest, so post below or email me just so I can get the ‘widow papers’ ready 😉

DrP

pictonroad

I’ll try not to shit myself this year

TimP
    Free Member

Bugger. Forgot about this, I am off having a big dog tea tent tea and cake ride

nedrapier

Enjoy, and good luck Picton! Still out with the shoulder, but I’ll have a bash on the turbo. I’ll check the BKool archive, but I’m pretty sure this ride alisn’t on there.

jimdubleyou

Having said I might be up for the second half, I now definitely can’t make it. 🙁

Sandwich

Due to a forthcoming appointment with a big needle in my t’aint, I will be working. Bum (literally)!

Maybe next year.

tobymc

I’m definitely doing the london-Brighton bit. It all depends on what unreasonable demands are made of me in the workplace this week – might be available for the whole shebang….

belugabob
    Free Member

Having got the train to Luton, yesterday, and ridden back to Crawley, my knees say “NO!!!”

(Besides, I have a 100 mile road ride scheduled for next Sunday)

Maybe next time…

tobymc

I’ve roped in another unsuspecting sap for the london-Brighton leg. Ha!
    Weather looking to be pretty reasonable after this week’s tomfoolery.
    Tickets back to the smoke booked.
    Any more takers?

DrP

Final call!!

We’ll be at the foot of the pier for 0730..anyone fancy the road leg, be at the pier!

We’re meeting Toby at the little cafe at Clapham Common (near the tennis courts) betweel 1130-1200 for the start of the offroad leg – if you fancy that, be there then!!

If you have a change of heart, or are running later – email me (email in profile) as I’ll have my phone on me!

DrP

Beluga Bob – is that the Brighton2Brighton sportive? I’m in for that too…man up dude!

DezB
    Free Member

My eBike didn’t arrive in time 😀

DrP

Llleeetttsssssss graaaaavvveeelllll…..

DrP

DrP

Well…a fantastic time was had by one and all!

Pictonroad and myself headed off nice and early along the coast, to be met by a stark empty pier! Never mind, we carried on North towards the big smoke..a very easy and uneventful ride really! A slight mist of rain just North of Haywards heath was all we encountered all day.
    He got a nail right through the rear tyre in London, so had to fit a tube – thankfully this was the only issue all day..

We met Toby and his chum up at the Clapham cafe, then headed through the terrible roads of the city, towards the peace and tranquillity of Richmond park..

The off road section was nice and steady all the way – a little crash (caused by bad riding on the road by yours truly – slightly late braking…sorry) was rapidly brushed off, and we plodded on, up, and over…
    Hitting the Downslink was a welcome relief, quickly quashed by the sharp climb out of Bramber!
    Up and over the Downs, and then finishing in Brighton with sausage and chips!

A lovely peaceful ride back again, legs feeling strong still, resulted in a not too shabby 163 miles in the bank!

Once again, the Tripster was a ruddy fantastic bike – 32c one-one gravel road tyres were great..the dynamo bub/USB charging was a blessing – had the garmin plugged in all the way, and even charged James’s on teh way back too!!

Strava ride here..

DrP

jekkyl

that looks class, looks like you had a great time and great mileage. Nice one.

tobymc

John Malvcevich is in one of those pics. A prize* to the first correct spot.

*prize may be virtual.

pictonroad

What a handsome* bunch.

Good day out. Legs feeling a bit off today but no other ailments to speak of.
    Pinnacle was splendid the whole way round, I do LOVE that bike. (Other than the nail that went in and out the sidewall of the tyre 🙄 )

The off road section had some splendidly rooty downhills, (some big SUPRISE steps too!) really make you question your sanity when you’re on a jazzed up road bike.

Yesterday was an eating day, woke up and no matter the volume or actual food content of what I shovelled in my stomach kept asking for more. I suspect I actually put weight on on this ride. A nice contrast to last year when I lost a stone… 😡

Good ride, thanks for navigating Doc.

tobymc

Yep. Another corker. 103 miles all in for me and Robin.
    Looking forward-ish to the next one. Promise* to do the whole thing…..
    Well pleased with the pickenflick’s behaviour throughout the day from hucking the drops to cleaning the climb out of Bramber.
    Good ride, good company, good times!

DrP

Even celebs can’t get enough of the Southern gnarmac enduroad contingency team UK…

DrP

tobymc

Nice one Dr! Have another battered sausage!

m1kea
    Free Member

A belated “nice one” from me and good to hear it went well. 8)

However who’s that ginger fella? 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘It's almost time for "DrP's brighton-london-brighton" shindig…(next weekend!)’ is closed to new replies.