• This topic has 110 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • It's time for "DrP's gnarmac Brighton-London-Brighton enduroad adventure" again!
  • DrP

My email inbox has been inundated by literally one email reminding me how acceptable this ride was last year, and it wouldn’t be the worst event of 2015 if I were to organise it again.

And how much more hyperbole could I get in to describe the wonder that is riding a skinny-tyred drop bar gnarpoon mostly on road from our nation’s seaside capital (probably) to the ACTUAL capital, then back again mostly off-road!!

All in ill, it’s about 60ish miles on the black-top, then 75ish along dusty/gravelly/rooty wilderness….

When, you may scream??
    I suggest Sunday 2nd August -it’s Brighton Pride weekend again adn there’s lots of festivities going on for those brave souls who survive the whole route…!

Like last year I propose we meet at the foot of Brighton pier (who can forget the refreshing stench of urine being hosed from the prom…lush..) at about 0730, then “Gladiators, you will go on my first whistle…”

We should get to that funny caf’ on Clapham Common after a few hours, have some mediocre coffee, then can bibmle-cross through town to Roegate uni before getting ran down by grumpy cafe owners in their 4x4s at the gates of Richmond park..

I know that a fair few of ‘us on ‘ere’ have bought into the marketing scam of gravel-grinding, gnarmaccing, and cyclo-criscrossgonnamakeyoujumpjump for some time now, so come show your skills on the hillz….

Don’t all push..names below children…

DrP

nemesis
    Free Member

I love the idea.

Sadly I have neither the legs, lungs nor free time to partake but put me down as ‘there in spirit’ 😉

Sandwich

Must see if rota swap is possible, otherwise it’s a Nemesis ‘there in spirit” response. On a CX so jeans on backwards in the style of the young rappers.

nedrapier

Horroray!! Event theme tune: “5ml Barrel” by Bomb the Bass and Will Self.

I sort of did this last year. It was most acceptable, even back to front. I’d be very keen for a repeat and, given where we live now, I could even do it the right way round.

I’m going to throw an “however” though. Ready?

Ahem.

However – if wife and I come up with an amazing plan for a long weekend away (BH on the Monday), I’m going to find it hard to argue that this is better. Depending on the value of “amazing”.

DrP

Leave the wife?
    Problem sorted..

DrP – family man.

nedrapier

Ha! Reminiscent of your last piece of ride advice!

DrP – Member
    fob them off Ed. You know it’s the right thing to do…

DrP

😀

DaRC_L

nemesis + 1
    sadly I can’t see me surviving a 90’th (40+50) birthday bash on the seafront the previous night in any shape to ride a bike at 7.30 the next morning

Gotama
    Free Member

Bookmarked for potential collection en route. Do you have a straaavaaa route or similar we can browse?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Not sure of the route you have in mind but be aware that it’s RideLondon100 that day so there will be road closures – Richmond Park etc. Not that you can’t get on the roads, but something to bear in mind…

nedrapier

Oooh, cheers Skill, that might be a spanner in the spokes. There’s some road sharing with the OR L2B round Weybridge at the very least.

TimP
    Free Member

I too was there at the start, not at the finish (OK so I bailed out after seeing DrP’s cookies, and realising that there wasn’t enough water in Ardingly Reservoir to wash one down).
    I am down to potentially take part in the Street Velodrome in Worthing that weekend as well as a camping trip with the family, so you can put me down as very much a “maybe” depending on other life commitments

DrP

Tim – I think I’m planning on teh street velodrome on the saturday too…
    Like always, if there’s enough commitment to another date, we could shift on a week.
    It’s just that pride weekend is a laff!

DrP

m1kea
    Free Member

Not sure I can really engineer a £2K+ Tripster purchase for the full excursion but will try and do the roadie bit up to thatthere M25 or so.

tobymc

The good Dr dragged me round the whole thing last summer – and thoroughly acceptable it was too.
    Go on then, I’ll have another crack at it…

nedrapier

m1kea – take the guards off the enigma and fit some chubbier rubber – you’ll be grand!

m1kea
    Free Member

Ned, that Enigma is the only ‘winter’ frame I know of that’ll take 49mm drop road brakes.

Don’t think I’ll get anything bigger than 28mm on there!

singletrackmind

Brighton – London – Hayling .
    Almost made it last year , witha Garmin I reckon I would have as the diversions added miles. Ride London whould royaly screw my route back though and there is an outside chance of a place
    book marked for future ref

bikebouy
    Free Member

I missed this announcement and since the 2nd is on a BH weekend all looks rather good for me to join in too.

I’ve diaried it, and hope not to bail out last minute like the IOW tour you did a while back.

So, see you then…

DrP

Ok… Since the ride100 is on the sunday, and I accept this may make some parts of the route a bit busy (maybe?) do you think doing this on the saturday would be a more viable option??
    As in sat 1st August..

DrP

pictonroad

lend us a bike mister…

njee20
    Free Member

I missed this announcement and since the 2nd is on a BH weekend all looks rather good for me to join in too.

As in a bank holiday…? No it’s not, is it?!

bikebouy
    Free Member

No it’s not a BH, my calendar says it is but it’s because it’s got the Scottish BH in it. My fault, should have read it properly.

Saturday is fine with me.

WotTyresForBLB 😆

DrP

Pictonroad – maybe borrow Jimbo’s tripster?? WE’ll find you one – don’t worry…

DrP

(on a plus note, I’m pleased you’ll be considering this, as I recall last year you replied “you killed me in 40 miles, there’s no way I’d keep up for 130″…. I must ride faster and be more intimidating it seems….)

nedrapier

No it’s not a BH, my calendar says it is

Mine did too! 😳

Wife did this year’s FunPlanner. I’m blaming her! I’m glad you guys picked it up, though. Could have been a bit of a disappointment closer to the time!

So I’m more likely. And more likely again because of the Saturday. Trains are tricky from mine. I’ve been trying to work out a way to do the loop from the door, but 30 miles on top…? 15 to the route at Cranleigh, 15 back.

Would have to be on/ off road split too!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going to load my CX’er up with my new Bikepacking gear for a test run 😆

I expect I’ll be carrying lots of cake and a multitool 😆

DrP

From the government website…
    “The next bank holiday in England and Wales is
    31 August
    Summer bank holiday”

There you go!!
    See you on the 1st Ned 😉

DrP

(if anyone needs somewhere to stay in worthing, I’ve an empty house that will be filled with paint fumes, or can set up the huge tent in the garden…)

nedrapier

So, how clever does this sound: dep. Haslemere at 3:30, arr route near Dunsfold at 4:30, 3 hours to Brighton for 7:30 meet, dep route 16:30, tootle home for 6pm tea.

What could possibly go wrong?

DrP

Just get the train to mine Ned…

DrP

nedrapier

Dear Doctor,

That’s undoubtedly the most sensible course of action, but at 135 miles, we’re well outside the realms of “most sensible”.

Plus I can’t train to the start early enough, and while your offer of paint and/or tent is very kind, once we get into setting off the day before, we’re looking at me being in London with my bike on a Friday afternoon, needing to get to Worthing. With predictable consequences.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

gnarmaccing

Genius! Word of the month for me!

DezB
    Free Member
    DrP

Time is creeping up on us..
    A few have said they can only make Sunday..we haven’t 100% finalised a day so can people say below what day they prefer, ahs rate their level of enthusiasm from ‘zero to turgid’, Ta..

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Saturday for me
    &
    “swollen”

singletrackmind

Sat is my personal preference.
    level of excitement . medium to good

boxelder

{hijack} bikebouy – you made reference to a too large Kask helmet elsewhere. I’d be interested. p.s. did you ride the Grizedale adventure X on Sunday?{/hijack}

boxelder

DrP – will there be a Silloth-Carlisle-Silloth sequel? I’d be up for it.

DrP

Maybe..!

Ok, a few people have emailed saying they can ONLY make Sunday…hmm..
    Bikebouy/st-mind… Can you only make Saturday, or is that your preferred but could manage Sunday if it meant listening to my jibber jabber for 10+ hours..?

I’d love to do both days, but wifey won’t let me!

DrP

Jerome
    Free Member

Can’t join the ride.
    But I live in Brighton and am moving to Battersea in a few weeks time – so would be interested to know what the route looks like from London to Brighton via the off road
    way ?
    Are you going downs link ?
    After initial reluctance, I am happy to be moving to the big smoke, and have grand plans for cycling length of the Thames or some such silliness..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmm.. Can’t do Sunday I’m afraid (when you mentioned the Prud100’s on Sunday I then planned having nephews down for the w/e)
    If everyone else wants to do Sunday then don’t let them down for goodness sake.
    And don’t plan on doing it both days either you loon..

Sorry, not wanting to poo poo it but Sundays oooot for me.

singletrackmind

I can do either . I will have to plot a different route home as RL is in the way . Just head south before turning south west I guess

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘It's time for "DrP's gnarmac Brighton-London-Brighton enduroad adventure" again!’ is closed to new replies.