Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hayes Stroker – where's the power?
  • rock
    Free Member

Hi,

The Hayes stroker ryde brakes fitted to my anthem x were awesome when I got them, but the power has recently deteriorated. I used to be able to skid like a kid and endo like jez avery with one finger, but now I can barely get them to skid/endo by yanking with 2 fingers. I'm pretty sure it's not just my arms getting weaker – the brakes just aren't as good as they once were (both front and back).

I've fully cleaned up the rotors and calipers (using BIKE SPECIFIC disc brake cleaner) until the cloth comes away totally clean, and fitted new pads (SSC kevlars). I've bedded them with a series of progressively harder stops. I've checked there's no weeping of fluid at the caliper. I am now out of ideas, and resigned to having rubbish brakes, and probably meeting an early end ploughing, out of control, into a fence/car/cow.

Can anyone help?

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

I have had the same problem, tried loads of different pads, cleaned the pads, rotors, etc, gave up in the end and got some Avid Elixes

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

A few of the strokers werent very well bled from the factory, so it may be worth bleeding them yourself just to make sure that isnt the problem. other than that, make sure the pads are parrallel to the rotors can help, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Oh, and when you bleed them, make sure you rotate the lever up and down through about 180 degrees to get all the bubbles out of the nooks in the lever. not the best design if you ask me, but I have found that with a bit of persistance they can be a REALLY good brake.

rock
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. They're freshly bled (by someone who knows what they're doing). Lever feel is really solid, so I'm pretty sure there's no air in there.

It's frustrating, because they used to be really good.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

With brand new pads mine were great but got worse and worse, this was on 3 bikes as well, it felt like they were glazing but sanding them down didn't help

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I never liked the Stroker Rydes on my Anthem, they came off pretty quickly and were replaced with Formula Oros, which have more power, more feel and seem far better made. I also find the Strokers are crap in muddy conditions, I reckon it's because there's no 'window' at the top of the caliper, so dirt and grit just builds up in there during a ride. Oh and they've got horrible, rattly levers and the paint's coming off them already.

rangerbill

are your hoses damaged or old? Change them for Goodridge? Just a thought

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hayes Stroker – where's the power?’ is closed to new replies.