Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Have I made a booboo?
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Needed a 68x113mm ISIS bottom bracket for my middleburn cranks to go on my meta 5.5.2. Well……I’ve done something I’ve never really done before……it may have been the wrong thing to do but…. I went to my lbs and they’ve sold me an FSA one with external bearings. Will this work? With my meta 5.5.2 and middleburn crankset. It is ISIS and the right measurements.

PJay
    Free Member

I think that you might be in trouble there. ISIS BBs (like Octalink and square taper) are internal cartridge bottom brackets, the external type are for the newer Hollowtech II and similar chainsets. To be honest if you’d asked for an ISIS BB the LBS should have known better than to sell you an external type (unless there’s some new design I’m unaware of). See if they’ll change it.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well, it does have the ISIS style bits. I don’t know really. See if I can find a link.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/article_platinummegaexo.001/FSA-Platinum-MegaExo-ISIS-BB.html

Looks like this one. Yeh I’m sure there shouldnt be a problem changin it. But you know what it’s like. If I go back and it is right. Probably wont be able to do it myself anyway so might just take it in to be done. Then they’ll know, wont they?!

singlespeedstu

Yep that’ll fit OK.

PJay
    Free Member

Whoops, I’ll keep quiet then!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

🙂 wehey. Any good? or s**te.

tails
    Free Member

I think you’ll need this tool as opposed to the normal isis tool though maybe not that specific one

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Easy job? What tool if any do I need to get the truvativ fire x cranks off?

mieszko
    Free Member

Crank extractor, or just an allen key if they have some self extracting bolts (like some Shimano). Fairly easy job, rather quick and also once You get the cranks off than You need this to get the old one out and different one to put the new one on (something like that 🙂

If You’re not planning to swap Your BB to often and don’t have all the tools than it will be cheaper to get Your LBS to fit that.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Hmmm, whats the ballpark figure a lbs might charge. Thanks

mieszko
    Free Member

Let’s say You have a crank extractor and You take the cranks off than take the bike to the lbs just to swap bb, and swapping BB should be around £5-£7 depending on the shop (it’s not even a 5min job if it’s not rusty and stuck).

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Pretty sure I have a crank extractor. However, they have self extracting bolts don’t they on Truvativ fire x chainsets. So yeh I’ll probably pop down to the lbs to get bb in. Then……once bb is in. Crank goes on how? Should there be crank bolts as well?

mieszko
    Free Member

Well You just screw the bolts on and they tighten the cranks on the BB. Simple as that, don’t need anything else than a allen key.

Just remember that You need a ISIS/Octalink extractor (or just a tiny mushroom looking bit that You put in the hole in the axle and than use one for square taper). If You have a older one for square taper (square taper doesn’t have a hole) and try using it on a Isis than You will just take the threads off that Truvativ and will trash it plus make it a pain to take off.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Have I made a booboo?’ is closed to new replies.