• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Have I been ripped off?
  • oomidamon

I bought a new XT Chainset form an online store and paid £118 for it. When it arrived it had a sticker on the box saying £107. Is there anything I can do about this?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Doubt It.

uplink
    Free Member

How’s that a rip off?

if you didn’t want to pay £118 – you shouldn’t have

pk-ripper
    Free Member

nope.

robdob
    Free Member

I would give them a polite call and ask for the difference back. Explain that you appreciate the recent price increases but this is taking the mick. I am sure that if you have bought quite a bit from them they would sort it out. If they won’t then vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere in the future.

They were a bit dopey not to take the sticker off!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, but if you had searched a bit harder on the web you could have got it around £40 cheaper.

DickBarton

Was the £11 for postage?

twohats
    Free Member

Considering the current XT chainset is £164.99, I wouldn’t be grumbling too much.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t have any recourse at all, that I can see.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The exact same thing happened to me on a jacket I bought from Stif. I rang them and got the difference refunded. Simple.

oomidamon

if you had searched a bit harder on the web you could have got it around £40 cheaper

Would you care to back that up with a link?

nina
    Free Member

dry your eyes buttercup – its still cheaper than srp

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think by law, if the price is marked on the item, they have to sell at that. If the price is marked on the shelf (and it’s wrong), then not. I’m not absolutely sure about that tho under these circumstances!. and I guess they could argue postage & Packing.

uplink
    Free Member

I think by law, if the price is marked on the item, they have to sell at that. If the price is marked on the shelf (and it’s wrong), then not. I’m not absolutely sure about that tho!. and I guess they could argue postage & Packing.

10 cents eh? – I’ll take it

STATO
    Free Member

I think by law, if the price is marked on the item, they have to sell at that

A shop is under no obligation to sell you anything, by law or otherwise. What they have to do is not mislead customers, so if you see an miss-priced item on the shelf and they wont sell it to you at that price, they do have to correct the price as they are now aware of the mistake, so as to not miss-lead subsequent customers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would you care to back that up with a link? Why, do you not know how to use google?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You have no room to complain, you were never aware of the original price and you happily bought at the higher price.

oomidamon

Why, do you not know how to use google?

Of course I know how to use google – that why I asked you to back it up with a link.

willyboy
    Free Member

Gary_M

if you can find me them for £40 less than the above price (£78 if my maths is correct) then i’ll buy all of that shops stock.
    Please point me in the right direction 😉

IWH
    Free Member

You’d have been ripped off if you purchased it from Southwater Cycles who are selling M770 cranks at the BARGAIN price of £205.99 PLUS postage.

Best I’ve found online is J.E.James at £107.99 but Merlin often have some good deals.

Budski
    Free Member

You paid the price you saw advertised so don’t really have a complaint however if you haven’t used it you can change your mind and send it back for a full refund. It’ll cost you postage so you better be sure you can get another one at least that much cheaper.

jonb
    Free Member

They’ll be £200 in a week so I would be thankful.

LeeW

A shop is under no obligation to sell you anything, by law or otherwise. What they have to do is not mislead customers, so if you see an miss-priced item on the shelf and they wont sell it to you at that price, they do have to correct the price as they are now aware of the mistake, so as to not miss-lead subsequent customers.

They have to remove all stock from the shelves before correcting the price, then they can restock the shelf.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Have I been ripped off?’ is closed to new replies.