Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 306 total)
  • Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

hora – just to be clear, I was filming the CJA riots in London (about 20 years ago!) – nothing to do with events of this week.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ok, find an example where I’ve directly abused someone then Flashy, y’know, called them a knob or tosser or something. See, I avoid doing that, as it’s unnecessary. And a cop-out.

But there are more subtle ways of insulting someone than being direct, but you’d need some level of intelligence to be able to work that one out, give me a shout if you need help with anything else. I see this as a valuable role in society, you know, helping those who are less able…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

7 tags and it’s not even my birthday 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is this rude word edited in case teh Playschool Mods get all crying and tearful and stuff STILL going on?

uplink
    Free Member

Ok, find an example where I’ve directly abused someone then Flashy, y’know, called them a knob or tosser or something. See, I avoid doing that, as it’s unnecessary. And a cop-out.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anger-management-1
    “You’re just a bit of an arrogant obtuse knob, is all it really sounds like…”

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/champions-league-tonight-and-tomorrow-for-that-matter
    “Lodders you are actually making yourself look a bit of a knob here[/b]

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-thing-about-men-who-become-women/page/3
    “GG why are you being such a knob?”

bikebouy
    Free Member

This lil old threadie just looks like a confirmation of where people stand on stuff.. Can’t see anything wrong with that, who’s opinions right and whose is wrong?? Whose da judge n jury?

TBH I’m supprised it’s had so many responces, last nights tv musta been sooo boring.

donsimon
    Free Member

7 tags and it’s not even my birthday

Quantity not quality, until you gat an AWESOME tag, you’ll always be a loser.

Happy Birthday BTW! 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

TBH I’m supprised it’s had so many responces, last nights tv musta been sooo boring.

It was.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Applause for uplink!*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s not my birthday 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

What? Never? I’m getting in early (or late). 😆 As the Bishop said to…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

About 10 months early. 21 again.

Only gone and got an Awesome tag ent I!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well todays weather in Sotty is a little grey and misty, can’t be much fun for the Cowes Week crowds, not a lot of wind either, looks like precipitation around 10ish, nope make that now, so brollies at the ready and Oilies too.
    I’m thinking todays lunch ought to be something warming, hmmm.. hot roast beef sandwich me thinks.. with a large splash of English Mustard, that ought to do the trick.

donsimon
    Free Member

TSY = AWESOME. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bit late to this one (only got to page 4. Going back after I’ve typed this to catch up) but – I’ve no problem with ANY of the views expressed on here about anything. Good opportunity to engage in a debate, however robust. Or take the p1$$, depending on mood, of course…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought on this last night and decided it was just Elfin trying to cause a riot on here by encouraging people to argue again on their differences.

Which is a pity because, as I have said many times, I like Fred generally.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Got through most of this last night before deciding I couldn’t be arsed posting but here’s my tuppence worth today anyway…I’m with m_f, it’s just an effort by Effin to start more rows – and it’s a pity – I see him headed inexorably towards a ban again sometime soon – if I had so many haterz, I’m not sure I could come here day after day to receive the abuse (some of it very very snide) he gets. He must have skin about three inches thick.

Has STW become more polarised? No, but I was surprised by some of the vitriol towards the lower socio economic strata that’s been posted this week – the willingless to use water-cannon, rubber bullets, tear gas, troops on the streets (despite none of that ever really working). Clue: this kind of stuff was tried for around three and a bit decades not too far away and it didn’t really work did it? I had no idea peoples’ desire for vengeance was so strong. I had completely underestimated it.

I had a lot more fun trolling some of my “friends” on facebook – now there was some stuff that surprised me there, I can tell you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I had a lot more fun trolling some of my “friends” on facebook – now there was some stuff that surprised me there, I can tell you.

Yeah I agree with that – I think I posted something similar on this thread (or another – gawd knows, there are so many) after seeing some bollocks being spouted on Facebook by friends – some of it directly racist (and one particularly distasteful post by my sister in law, where her two early teenage children could see it – did she not think that making racist comments like that could influence her children)?

johnners
    Free Member

Nice work Sue. Hope you get someone (who isn’t paid enough for the agro) his job lost.

I’d also like to say “nice work Sue”. If you passed on photographic evidence of members of the riot squad acting illegally in the name of upholding the law and that evidence lost them their job then you’ve done the public a service.

But I’m not sure that’s what hora actually meant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think I posted something similar on this thread

Yes, I remember it resonating with me and thinking along the same lines. I’ve been pretty shocked with what people have had to say there…especially, like you say, with the fact that their kids can see it. Seems, in times of strife, true colours come to the fore.

In Riotous Veritas.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I’ve written about 8 different responses to this thread after reading it this morning, mainly trying to politely point out to TJ that its not uncommon for people to take offence at something he’s implied in a post; usually implying that those who don’t agree with him aren’t as clever as he is… and that’s exactly how Elfin started this thread.

TJ states he doesn’t do it deliberately (I believe him) and if called up on it will sometimes apologise if not too caught up in the fight. Whereas Elfin responds to the most random things in threads by picking a post apart for any implied nasty-ism, either deliberately to start a fight or, if he’s not a troll which is against the forum rules, then it’s evidence he’s sensitive and clever enough to understand that certain things can be implied without being written as a direct statement.

When I first joined the forum I, like many others, had a lot of time for Elfin, even offered him a free bottom bracket when he came to the first swinley party. But as uplink has proved… there appears to be no real conviction behind what he types on here, shame as most of the time it would appear he’s coming from a good place with good intentions 🙁

You know I’m right, there’s no point arguing with me cos I’m right.

bullheart
    Free Member

if I had so many haterz, I’m not sure I could come here day after day to receive the abuse (some of it very very snide) he gets

How do you know you don’t? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How do you know you don’t?

What a silly question. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Elfin once told me on here: “Enough already!”

Worked for me… 8)

ilovemygears
    Free Member

what worries me is that people take this forum so super seriously, for **** sake i dont think people even mean half of what they write…its just the net its not real life, i wouldnt hold anything against any one on hear if i were to meet them in real life….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

…its just the net its not real life,

Not according to Markymark.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what worries me is that people take this forum so super seriously, for **** sake i dont think people even mean half of what they write…its just the net its not real life, i wouldnt hold anything against any one on hear if i were to meet them in real life….

Given your recent performances, I sometimes hope it really isn’t RealLife™ but rulez iz rulez – the Mods attach slightly more weight to your words than you think. 😕

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Given your recent performances, I sometimes hope it really isn’t RealLife™ but rulez iz rulez – the Mods attach slightly more weight to your words than you think.

well thats up to them isnt it..i was just saying i dont take any thing on hear seriously, or write with any serious intent. i mean if you read some thing and then get mad dose it not ever occur to people that it might have been written for that exact purpose, , why do people get so upset about shit on this forum…???

Jamie
    Free Member

How do you know you don’t?

I came here to make sure this was said.

…its just the net its not real life,

Unfortunately, in the case of Grumpy Mark vs Forumites, a precedent was set that this is not the case, and that you should treat people on the inter web in the same way you would do in real life.

donsimon
    Free Member

well thats up to them isnt it..i was just saying i dont take any thing on hear seriously, or write with any serious intent. i mean if you read some thing and then get mad dose it not ever occur to people that it might have been written for that exact purpose, , why do people get so upset about shit on this forum…???

I couldn’t have put it better myself. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So you think it’s ok to write some of the stuff you’ve been writing these last few weeks – some of it pretty hateful, in the face of a lot of reasoned argument showing you just how wrong you were – you realise that written word is pretty much there forever don’t you? And that STW as the owners and publishers of this site are responsible for the bilious ranting of some of the contributors? What makes it ok to be so insulting on an internet forum but not in person?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I came here to make sure this was said.

It was written to see how long someone would take to say it. You were too slow. And predictable.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

So you think it’s ok to write some of the stuff you’ve been writing these last few weeks – some of it pretty hateful, in the face of a lot of reasoned argument showing you just how wrong you were – you realise that written word is pretty much there forever don’t you? And that STW as the owners and publishers of this site are responsible for the bilious ranting of some of the contributors? What makes it ok to be so insulting on an internet forum but not in person?

you dont get trolling do you…

jackthedog
    Free Member

The intention behind your words isn’t really relevant, it’s how your words are taken. We can’t read your mind, so we can only go on what you post. And we’ll assume that what you post aligns with what you think. Otherwise, why would you post it?

Jamie
    Free Member

It was written to see how long someone would take to say it. You were too slow. And predictable.

I have failed you. I’m sorry.

donsimon
    Free Member

We can’t read your mind,

I’m not sure that there is too much to read there, not the busiest of places, just one more hate filled bigot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you dont get trolling do you…

Oh I get it alright. I just appreciate the more subtle type of stuff. Posting insults, lies, general bollocks to wind people up, and then upping the ante every time someone reasons with you is not trolling – it’s just being a silly wind up merchant. Who’d be impressed with himself with a performance like that?

Oh…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sorry.

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What does UTA stand for?

Thanks,

Yeti.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 306 total)

The topic ‘Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?’ is closed to new replies.