Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Has anyone got hyperthyroidism?
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that I have this, obviously I need to go to my GP but I would like to hear from anyone that has it so I’m armed with info.
    I went to the GP before because of heat intolerance and crazy amounts of sweating and they basically said don’t worry about it.

I have read about the hyperthyroidism and it seems I have most f the symptoms

Palpitations, check
    Heat intolerance, check
    Nervousness, check
    Insomnia, not really
    Breathlessness, check
    Increased bowel movements, 3-4 a day sometimes
    Light or absent menstrual periods, mmmm no
    Fatigue, check
    Fast heart rate, check
    Trembling hands, check
    Weight loss, no, gain
    Muscle weakness, check
    Warm moist skin, check
    Hair loss,check
    Staring gaze, I thought this was from 2 under 2’s

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simple to test for by the GP – go back and ask for the blood tests. I doubt it tho

bruk

If you are a 13 yr old cat maybe but not very common in people!

Go ask the GP for bloods and more investigation if you aren’t happy with 1st answer.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Go to the Doctor and ask for a blood test!

I’m hypothyroid and thats how I/we found out.

All the symptoms above sound very stress related to me.

rewski
    Free Member

As TJ said, I have an irregular thyroid, take a levothyroxine tablet daily, blood tests every 3-6 months to adjust dose. All fine now.

nickf
    Free Member

I was hyperthyroidic, which was truly horrible. Had to have my thyroid removed as a result.

I suspect you’ve not got it – the biggest giveaway for me was massive weight loss and loss of strength (muscle mass burn).

cinnamon_girl

Check out http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk for lots of info.

If it is thyroid then the chances are your GP will only test for TSH level. I’ve had to fight to get other levels checked and don’t be fobbed off with being told you have depression.

I did start a thread on here quite a while ago and the replies proved to be most informative.

Do let us know how you get on.

C_G
    (wanting my life back)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cinnaman girl thats about hypo not hyper thyroid

cinnamon_girl

Oh, apologies. Thanks TJ.

My brain fog still hasn’t cleared. 😳

allmountainventure
    Free Member

A mate of mine is hypothyroid; went on for years before he decided to get help and by this point was rather ill…

Its an easy test but he had to pay for it privately because his GP kept saying how rare it was and probably not the cause.

Get it done so you know either way.

compositepro
    Free Member

You can self diaqnose till your blue in the face
    Best thing is simple blood test by doc my mum and sister both have symptoms as described above but they are hypothyroid ,my mum was hyper but it switched for her.
    My doc said it was also rare in comparison to the female population to have it in men though the prof at sheffield hospital stated this a bit far fetched, if you are hypo this can lead to a coma eventually ,doctors are useful even if it is only a check

nmdbase
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the input folks, I’m off to the quacks tomorrow,I’ll have to tell them I want a blood test I’d imagine as they aren’t very forthcoming 🙁 On a lighter note I’m off to watch the inbetweeners movie now 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yes, my girlfriend has it. The heart palpitations are very worrying but thanks to medication it’s under control. The biggest give away was her goiter (sp) it was swollen and her eyes looked as if she had an allergic reaction, swollen and fluffy. She has a blood test every 2 weeks to keep it in check.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Blood tests are on Monday 🙂

roper
    Free Member

good luck.
    Ask if you can keep a copy of the results. If you need any further treatments, having your medical history to hand could save you some bother.
    The forum site cinnamangirl linked too might be helpful too.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Well it turns out……no I haven’t.
    But I have a Gluten intolerance and now that I have cut that out I don’t sweat, full of energy and am generally much happier too.

So who would have thought that food could do that? Crazy really that I have put up with it for 6 years and it was something so simple!

Northwind

My brother has it… Reminds me, I’m supposed to go and get tested for that 😳 He’s medicated with levothroxide (?) and it seems to work. He’s still ginger though, no cure for that.

cinnamon_girl

mmdbase – glad you’re sorted!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Buy him some of that Just For Men for christmas

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone got hyperthyroidism?’ is closed to new replies.