Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Has anybody used a folding rake for trail building.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Looking at clearing some trails and there are a lot of leaves that slow down the flow. Clearing leaves can’t be a bad thing I doubt I can get into trouble for it.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience or recommendations with/for folding rakes.

mrgoll
    Free Member

Have not seen a folding rake – but Fiskars make some really lightweight aluminium spades that I swear by and their wire-head-rakes (sort of retractable head-spreads [like a peacocks tail]) look like they would be suitably durable.

Do you know of anywhere to get more advice on trail maintenance? I have seen a few spots lately which could use an afternoon of TLC – but I am put off because I imagine I would be beset by people in red socks frowing… Locations I have in mind are out of the way footpaths etc. which are really fscked and I would only really be ‘improving’ small patches. Any idea?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Most of the bits I have seen are well out of the way of the red sock brigade. And at the moment the only time I will have to do it is in the dark. This is good because nobody else is around but its a bit harder to see and plan. If your doing it on footpaths I would say do it at night.

kinda666
    Free Member

I’ve used a telescopic fan rake in the past!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member
    cotic853
    Free Member

I use an old rake head with a short handle fastened with a bolt and wing nut. It does mean you have to lean a bit to use it but the head fits in my pack and the handle can be bungeed to the frame.

bruneep

there are a lot of leaves that slow down the flow.

Leaves slow you down? 🙄 Do you work for network rail?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why not leave things alone?

I_Ache
    Free Member

bruneep they are deep leaves and there are also a lot of pine needles, I just want to get down to the grippy soil.

Cotic I had not thought of that good idea.

I have found this and it looks just the ticket, however I can only see it in America.

jedi

i use a stiff yard brush at herts

kinda666
    Free Member

bruneep – 

Leaves slow you down?  Do you work for network rail?
    I do though 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

The ones using thick wire will bend as soon as you hit a root or something solid. Cotic853 ‘shorty’ idea is sound but a mcleod head is more useful if you can get hold of one.

AlexSimon

I_Ache – those rakes you picture above are in all the shops around me.
    B&Q, Focus, independents, etc. About £5 iirc.
    I have one, but it struggles with the length of the wires – they just bounce and deflect off everything.
    That’s just trying to rake rough grass. I’ve no idea how useful it would be for trails.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmm didn’t think of them bouncing around, just that they would be easier to carry. Might go for a shortie system, looks like my bag might start to get a little heavy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody used a folding rake for trail building.’ is closed to new replies.