Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Hardtails – they're called hard for a reason
  • fastindian
    Free Member

went out on the hardtail yesterday and rode a similar route to a couple of weeks ago, but on that occasion I was on the full suss.

I’d forgotton how much more of a battering you get on a hardtail, I was damn near knackered when we finished whereas on the FS I was pretty much still fresh as a daisy.

Not to say I didnt still enjoy it 😆

Anyone else found this?

_tom_
    Free Member

Haven’t touched a hardtail for a few months and I want to get back into riding one. I like the extra fun you can have on a full sus but its definitely made me lazier with line choice!

racefaceec90

yes to begin with.i p/x’ed an anthem x2 for my duster.i definitely felt the difference to begin with,but you do get accustomed to it after a short while.i love riding a ht again 😀

ton

men ride hardtails………… 8)

bruneep

I like the extra fun you can have on a full sus

What is this extra fun you speak of?

_tom_
    Free Member

What is this extra fun you speak of?

Being able to plough through rocky/rooty stuff you’d maybe have to mince around on a hardtail. I also can’t imagine constant braking bumps being much fun on a hardtail. Having rear suspension gives me more confidence to try bigger drops and jumps which equals more fun 🙂 That being said some sick part of me wants to bring a hardtail back to Whistler next summer.

wors

men ride hardtails…………

+1

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Dale Winton rides full sus.

Pook

men also ride full sussers.

fastindian
    Free Member

In my case men with really aching legs ride hardtails!

ssjeff
    Free Member

Cowboy up cupcake. Get a decent hardtail and you’ll be fine.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

People who have sore bottoms from the night before need to ride full sus.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a 100mm full sus, xc race bike because I just didn’t get on with it. I always felt battered riding it and hated technical descents on it. I thought this was because I’m used to bikes with 140-150mm travel. Anyway, just bought a hardtail for bikepacking with the money off the race bike…Its got a slightly long fork on (120) and I stuck a wide’ish tacky tyre on the front. I felt like I was flying, instant acceleration, the only time I really noticed I was on a hardtail was when I dropped off anything. Who knows I might start doing a few races/events again!
    I’ll still be using my 140mm travel bike for big days out in the fells though. 😉

shortcut

Not ridden full suss for ages!

Bit soft really!

29er for me!

bruneep

Ok must try harder to mince around rocky technical stuff instead of riding it when out. 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

I get more knackered riding the HT but I reckon a lot of that is down to the HT encouraging (and rewarding) harder out the saddle efforts. FS makes me lazy.

khani
    Free Member

men ride hardtails…………

Did you wear a dress on the ventana then?
    Any pics…… 😆

daveawood
    Free Member

I compromise with a Thudbuster seatpost on the “winter” hardtail, doesn’t change the handling of course but is kinder to botty!

knottie8
    Free Member

“Being able to plough through rocky/rooty stuff you’d maybe have to mince around on a hardtail”

Thats a big maybe ! MTFU and hardtails can ride the rough !

float
    Free Member

^ yup ive ridden this on a hardtail. granted not as quick as a full susser could’ve but still…

Radioman

Agreed but I love riding my Dialled Alpine hardtail. Being a bit older and a bit heavier than some, I always pick my full suss bike for multi day epic trips though. Its hard to beat the fun of a hardtail on simple trail rides. The spring they get on jumps is great fun rather than having mushy suspension soaking it up. The lower maintenance factor is also a plus in winter. I have managed to go through lots of seat rails on my hardtail though…the last i broke was an SDG RL cromolly seat. Luckily I have a Thomson post on the hardtail which is super strong. I used to have a gravity dropper on it but that couldn’t take the bumps 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Much more prefering a hardtail at the moment. They need a bit more rider input that’s for sure, but just requires you to get more involved working the bike with the terrain and trying to use them pumpy skippy jumpy flow skillz (which I don’t have much of).
    If you’re riding a Gnarr mince tank, try going xc mincelight. The energy saved from pedalling a barge around can be redirected into the other stuff. 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

I had a Meta 5.5 2009 (yes, THAT year) which never failed on me, but I didn’t like the idea of having it crack after a wallop. I transplanted the parts onto a Dialled PA and at first was shown just how much the Meta had spoiled me. This combined with going back again from SPDs to flats and my riding’s had to change a lot.

They each have their place, I feel Albert is better suited to the windy wooded singletrack I have locally. Horses for courses.

Gnarr mince tank

😆

harryparabolics
    Free Member

I recently put together my old Kona Kula – and took it for a good spin yesterday. Such good fun, but aluminium hardtails are pretty hard on the ol’ back.

You’re right though – hardtails take it out of you a bit more. Not sure if it’s just that you have to concentrate more, rather than just clattering through tech sections, or whether they’re a bit harder work overall. I think that it’s a bit of both. Having said that, everything feels faster on an xc hardtail. A good way to get the skills back…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

…I can’t imagine…

see, there’s your problem. it’s interesting that people see fit to use imagination to make claims about an activity that can only be experienced through its doing. just saying, like…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

^ yup ive ridden this on a hardtail. granted not as quick as a full susser could’ve but still…

A man made rock garden with perfectly sized/spaced round rocks. It doesnt look rough at all.

slowrider
    Free Member

Bikes are awesome.

Everything else is just trolling.

Carry on 😉

bob_summers

I’m a relative n00b but HTs seem to reward fitness a bit more. Even when I’m shot, I can clear steep technical climbs on my FS by clicking it into bottom gear and winching up, however my HT requires a couple of gears higher and some leg speed to get up, a killer after 4hrs on the rivet.

yunki
    Free Member

GW
    Free Member

float – Member

Ha ha.. what a fanny!! you’ll be riding down steps in true STW style next 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There is a post up there has more than a tinge of the minge.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Longer more sedate rides are better on a hardtail. Going downhill or across real countryside, roots, ruts, etc, is the job of a full suss.

A fairly fat tyre and 50-80% max stated tyre air pressure and comfy saddle choice can help with a hardtail.

I like both.

float
    Free Member

A man made rock garden with perfectly sized/spaced round rocks. It doesnt look rough at all.

not the best vid, but it was all i could find at the time. looks can be decieving

Ha ha.. what a fanny!! you’ll be riding down steps in true STW style next

trolololol

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont really know why people argue about this clearly a FS is a skills compensator and faster downhill than a hardtail. Clearly it absorbs more bumps and hits than a hardtail- I really dont see how you can argue this – well apart from the fact that this is stw
    I can ride everything I ride on the FS on the hardtail if I wish but slower genreally especially rough/rocky stuff. Makes little to no difference at a trail centre though.
    That link of rocky stuff just looked silly to me sanitised and safe rocky stuff is not my cup of tea but free choice and all that.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I ride all sorts of rough stuff on my hard tail. Drop off kerbs, ride UP kerbs. I even rode the steps beside the community centre on a hardtail. NO PROBS!

Its probably cos I’m hardcore though.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

ive gone back to a hardtail, prince albert btw. after years on full sussers and it is completly differant, you really do have to pick your line better and on some fast decents i find myself all most sat on the seat trying to keep my back end on the deck and stop it sqiurming, and my legs ache like mad …not sure its for me to be honest as it can be a bit rocky were i ride.

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t seem to get any more aches from riding hardtail than riding full sus. Probably because I’ve destroyed all the ache receptor nerve endings I had to begin with along with the corresponding brain cells… 😉

Are people who find they get battered on a hardtail just trying to ride them like a full sus and speding too much time in the saddle and not enough off it?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have a 160mm full sus and steel hardtail.

In my opinion, or at least in my case, I like the hardtail sometimes for the same reason I prefer the single pivot frame design on the full sus compared to the fsr design on my old Enduro. The charm of a ht is how it handles and how you get instant feedback from the terrain and rider input.

I agree that a full sus WILL carry speed better than a ht through the rough stuff, it shouldn’t be about that, ride a hardtail because you enjoy it. If you haven’t before then give it a try.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Wow, every decent vehicle on the road has full suspension, but you shouldn’t bother on off road bicycles……C’mon, it’s 2011 people

takisawa2

Sold my FS a few weeks ago. Steel 29er HT for me. Loving it. I certainly didnt miss the FS round Cannocks FtD today, the 29er was riding brilliantly. Not a fan of the FtD usually, but really enjoyed today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Hardtails – they're called hard for a reason’ is closed to new replies.