Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Hardtails – Outdated
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My TranceX is faster, up, down and along and I can ride it all day. It pops, absorbs bumps, grips like glue on corners, it floats, it flicks – it's ace. But sometimes I feel it's not really real.

Then I get the big forked HT out. It lurches up climbs, slowly bobbles along and then crashes fearfully downhill. It needs huge physical input and guts to ride well and leaves me fearful and shattered. That's why I still ride it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe you should try it before you dismiss it?

I tried FS for 10 years, but then loved a hardtail instead:-)

j-claw
    Free Member

Full sus was just too dull, got bored of biking

Find or build some harder trails?

fizzer
    Free Member

Decisions decisions

horses for courses, depends where we are riding

nickegg
    Free Member

Not all FS are high maintenance….get a decent single pivot and you'll only have two bearings to change 😀

As for who rides what…..WHO THE XXXX cares!!!!! Stop shooting someone down for stating his opinion. Mind you, doing so on a forum with a large population of niche hungry idiots is bound to upset someone……whoops 😛

Oh….and i think hardtails are crap too.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Find or build some harder trails?

ie courses for horses ??

ajantom

@ J-Claw, I think it was the tone of the original post more than the content that annoyed some people.

Unless you were trolling, if so well done 😆

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

HT for racing,climbs,sprints and descend like a demon. FS for the fun of it (and for the frequent visits to the lakes).

chakaping
    Free Member

Hahaha, there was only one way this was going to go.

Good effort.

j-claw
    Free Member

Hardtail good for this:

Hardtail no good for this:

crikey
    Free Member

Aaaahhh, so now you're saying that hardtails have a place?

Dimwit.

j-claw
    Free Member

Aaaahhh, so now you're saying that hardtails have a place?

Try re-reading the OP…

Unless you're riding on the road, or on extremely smooth trails…

singlespeedstu

Stop shooting someone down for stating his opinion.

I don't see anyone shooting anyone down myself.

Just people saying what they like to ride.

As opposed to Mr J cloth who's trying to tell everyone else what they should be riding in his predictable trolly way. 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Try re-reading the OP…

I did; you're a dimwitted troll on the available evidence…

fizzer
    Free Member

My lord me & SFB agreeing. Whatever next? Me out riding with the Boggies?

j-claw
    Free Member

I did; you're a dimwitted troll on the available evidence…

If I'm such a troll, why are you getting so upset?

rs
    Free Member

^^^^ Hardtail would be fine for that.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you were designing the very first bike for riding off road on rocky, rooty, trails and wanted the best compromise of traction, comfort and speed I think what you'd design would be a FS bike. Hardtails are, I think, something of a a legacy from MTB's infancy.

However anyone can ride what they want to, the choice is theirs.

FS saves my back from a beating and after riding hardtails for years I wouldn't go back. Having said all that my FS is a mere 4 incher and pumped up hard (oooh er missus) it's also a single pivot, my bearings are almost 10 years old and get used several times a week so I don't see a downside to FS.

j-claw
    Free Member

^^^^ Hardtail would be fine for that.

FS would be better!

nickegg
    Free Member

I repeat……niche hungry idiots.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What's on that bottom pic that you couldn't ride well on a HT with a big fork?
    And unless we are talking about gravel tracks and fields, I disagree that HT's are better at XC racing. A light FS is much faster everywhere because it grips better and you can sit-down and put maximum effort into pedalling.

rs
    Free Member

FS would be better!

In what way? I could get down it on either, FS will feel smoother thats all.

Zone
    Free Member

lets not argue our selves into owning only one bike… god forbid… I find it hard enough already to convince the missus I don't need to sell any…..

I remember when I didn't have a choice… there where no full sussers….

I'm glad there are now though 😀

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i'm a ht person.

got a short travel full susser for racing (its quicker.)
    but, the long forked ht for all other/general riding. its more fun.

depends what you think is getting down it better… if you mean smoother/easier. then fine. but its not much of a challenge once you smooth it out with a full sus!

singlespeedstu

nickegg – Member

I repeat……attention hungry troll.

walleater

Hmm….I see a challenge coming on….RS Vs J-Cloth in a head to head down Upper and Lower Ladies Only.

mwleeds

FS would be better!

Really, why? I haven't ridden anything that wouldn't be more fun on a hardtail, while (and here's the important bit) I still have the energy to enjoy myself, to brake when I want to and ride aggressively.

The ONLY time when a FS is more fun is when the trails/DH's/rides are to long to do the above.

For me thats long (>15 mile) loops in the peak, and most alpine riding. Anywhere else where the downs are short or there's time to recover on longer rides. I'll probably be on a HT. I'm sure that everyone has a point a which they'd be having more fun on a FS (if you say no then you're lying! megavalanche? a monster 100km Peak loop?), we're just all different.

crikey
    Free Member

If I'm such a troll, why are you getting so upset?

I'm not upset, I'm playing the troll game….

taxi25
    Free Member

I've just read the op and can't see what you all are fussing about ??? He's not saying h/t are rubbish and people shouldn't be riding them or are stupid for doing so. Only that in the situations he described his new full sus out performs his old h/t. They of course ride exactly as he describes, that doesn't mean loads of people don't prefer riding h/tails, fully ridgid or whatever.

avdave2

joolsburger wouldn't be a Marin by any chance would it?

rs
    Free Member

Hmm….I see a challenge coming on….RS Vs J-Cloth in a head to head down Upper and Lower Ladies Only.

Is that picture not pink starfish… at least thats what the link says? I haven't ridden that trail but that bit at least looks doable on HT. I actually did have thoughts about taking the video camera out there this weekend and finding that bit of trail.

crikey
    Free Member

Unless you're riding on the road, or on extremely smooth trails then stop kidding yourself – you will be better off on a suspension bike

That's what he said.

He's a dimwit.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oli, isn't it just that Hardtails are harder to break?… 😉

Anyway, the American magazine I read last month said that all mountainbikes with 26" wheels and less than 4 inches of rear travel are rendered obsolete by 29ers… What do we reckon to that?!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

There are plenty of trails where hardtails are more fun. Bikes are all about fun so surely they will never be outdated.

CountZero

My 6" full sus has sat in the shed for the last year, my rigid SS and my 6" forked h/tail get all the action. Go figure. Oh, and I was riding full sus bikes in 1990.

j-claw
    Free Member

He's a dimwit.

& you are narrow-minded & resistant to/scared of change.

Things move on… Maybe you should too?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

jojoA1
    Anyway, the American magazine I read last month said that all mountainbikes with 26" wheels and less than 4 inches of rear travel are rendered obsolete by 29ers… What do we reckon to that?!

er….

j-claw
    Free Member

Is that picture not pink starfish… at least thats what the link says? I haven't ridden that trail but that bit at least looks doable on HT.

It is Pink Starfish & I have ridden it on a HT. I've also ridden it on a FS & it was a lot more fun on that. I'm bored of getting beaten up by the trails on my HT. I have a lot more fun riding the trails on a FS, rather than just making it down them on a HT.

crikey
    Free Member

Dimwit….

I've had HT and FS, and I take issue with your prescription for the masses; that we'll be better off on a FS.

Not narrow minded, not resistant to/or scared of change, just sensible enough to know a Dimwitted troll when one pops out from under the bridge.

ajantom

Maybe work on your fitness and skill levels, rather than compensating for them with a snazzy bike.

Nowt wrong with snazzy bikes though, I have one.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Hardtails – Outdated’ is closed to new replies.