Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Hardtail with 160mm forks………..what is there??
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Hello can people show and tell on their hardtails with 160mm forks, ideally something that still works when the forks are dropped to 130mm for climbing or singletrack.Ideally builds that are less than 30lbs, cheers

lyons
    Free Member

A friend has an 08 chameleon for sale which will handle forks that big…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

What do you intend to do with a sub 30lb 160mm hardtail?

Surely the sort of riding you want a light bike for, you don't want a massive fork?

hicksville
    Free Member

fair comment, it is for my nephew, he wants big travel and reasonable weoght. I think 32/34 lbs would be about right.

coogan
    Free Member

DB Alpine climbs and descends schweetly with 160mm forks.

rs
    Free Member

What do you intend to do with a sub 30lb 160mm hardtail?

Surely the sort of riding you want a light bike for, you don't want a massive fork?

you can do pretty much most stuff with a 30lb hardatil, my bike is more than capable of most things and with some lighter tires could be under 30lbs. Sitting about 32lbs with 2.5 tires just now.

new picture

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

you can do pretty much most stuff with a 30lb hardatil, my bike is more than capable of most things and with some lighter tires could be under 30lbs. Sitting about 32lbs with 2.5 tires just now.

Yea, I agree you can do whatever you want on a 30lb hardtail. My point was more that to get a big-forked hardtail to that kind of weight you will need to use parts which aren't tough enough to take the kind of abuse you would want to dish out on a 160mm bike.

For example, your bike could be sub 30 with light tyres – which would pinch flat whenever you tried to send it. So why not just use say a 130mm fork on that sort of bike?

Ultimately I'm just discussing it for the sake of it – obviously people can ride whatever they want, its all bikes!

hicksville
    Free Member

as forks get lighter, parts are lighter and more reliable, so 30lbs should be reasonable

lock
    Free Member

im constantley lusting after a big travel hardtail,i just need to do it and get it out of my system

rs
    Free Member

Well I could drop a couple of pounds with the fork too, its just a domain which is about 6.5lbs. wheels are Mavic DeeTracks so not particularly light, hone cranks, sunline bars, thomson stem, its all solid stuff. A well specced 30lb 160mm hardtail would handle all but the biggest drops.

Vortexracing

I have one of these as well

and the frame is about to be put up for sale if anybody is interested?

this weighs 30.5lbs BTW

rs
    Free Member

and the frame is about to be put up for sale if anybody is interested?

Is that allowed? an alpine is for life, not just for christmas 😀

coogan
    Free Member

Purple is bestest. 8)

Vortexracing

I know, sorry 😥

but it just doesn't fit right.

It does go DH very, very well though, that much I will say

br
    Free Member

Ok, so they are 150mm forks…, but less than 30lb.

And when plugged into my 456Ti, and an XTR build but same wheels and 2.4's, below 28lbs with pedals/guards etc

ash

probably about 32-33lb but still climbs (and of course descends) fantastically

coogan
    Free Member

It was all going so well with all the lovely Alpines… then someone HAD to post an On One…

:mrgreen:

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

FWIW, kenneth's 160mm hardtail weighs around 37lbs (after it was lightened). which is probably why he can't fully grasp that other people might be able to get their bikes anywhere near below 30.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I do fancy one of those, but budget might force me to a Blue Pig. Or even the shame of a 456…

mboy
    Free Member

Chucky

What size is the frame, and how much are you after?

coogan
    Free Member

Stevo, if I had room in me bag, I'd bring it over from Edinburgh in August for you to try!

kelvin

p29 onwards in the new issue of Wideopen might give some ideas…

Nina Hoffman Fronts Nina Hoffman Racing/Stif for 2020.

BFe, Blue Pig and Alpitude … all fit the bill in their own ways hicksville.

Vortexracing

What size is the frame, and how much are you after?

It's a 15.5"/21"

£195 OVNO posted.

only 9 months old and is in very good nick, hardly marked. (was ridden by a 44 year old bloke, who should know better).

emails in profile if you are interested.

orange
    Free Member

Transition Trans Am?

Coyote
    Free Member

I had the same thing as Chucky with my Alpine. I had the 15.5" / 22" and downhill it just screamed. Was pretty good on techy stuff but somehow just didn't fit right for all-round duties. Shame cause the stuff is was good at it was really good at!

hora
    Free Member

I'd run a all day hardtail with 140. I ran my 456 with Lyriks last weekend and TBH I hated it. Straight line it felt good- turned- it felt awful. Thinking back I also remember bailing on some singletrack and just missing a tress on the North Downs a couple of months ago because it felt washed out at 160mm!

Chucky/Coyote, Mk2 Alpines have revised sizing of 16/22.25 and 18/23.25.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Chucky/Coyote – how tall are you guys as might be interested in chuckys alpine. My small PA is a touch to long in the top tube, but concerned 21in might be slightly to short!

Vortexracing

i'm 5ft 4"

freeridenick
    Free Member

hmm, 5.9 here – suspect it might be abit small!

Coyote
    Free Member

5" 9 1/2" so on the cusp between the two sizes really.

I normally ride a 16" Coyote Dual which fits perfectly.

mike at dialledbikes. Everything was going well today. Last day before the long weekend. Just had a meeting cancelled this afternoon which means I can wind down nicely and then you say that. Great. Now turmoil fills my mind. One of the best bikes I ever rode that was ever-so-slightly too small is now ever-so-slightly bigger. Looks like the full suss I was planning later this year may be put back again…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had an alpine and it was a downhill weapon with 150mm 66's. I had a 17/22 and Im 6 foot 2. Felt spot on for dh, a bit short for xc stuff though.

I think you'd struggle to get it under 30lbs though, you'd want a full selection of dh parts on it, and you cant really go for light weight wheels either. Thats if you want to ride dh on it (assuming you do with 160mm forks, pointless having them otherwise)

GW
    Free Member

still think alpines ride nicest with a 100mm fork 😕

cookeaa

Surely if you want a 4” fork then a PA makes more sense than an Alpine though?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Stevo, if I had room in me bag, I'd bring it over from Edinburgh in August for you to try!

Did you sell the Bullitt yet? You bringing that or the 5-spot this time?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe here. Complete monster loon bike with Lyrics on, bit more all round with Pikes. Surprisingly OK uphill, despite being technically a size too small and with a really dinky stem. about 31lbs with the Lyrics, 29 ish with the Pikes. (assuming single ply 2.3 tyres). Travel adjust forks are a godsend if you want to ride all day on it as well as rag it DH.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

if you can cope with 150mm rather than 160, a revelation is only 200g heavier than a SID, so i'm sure a light build would be possible, just swap the wheels for gnarlier stuff?

GW
    Free Member

Why's that then Cookeaa?

stevomcd
    Free Member

JonEdwards: Good effort on that rock drop! Way more gnarly than it looks in the photo!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail with 160mm forks………..what is there??’ is closed to new replies.