Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Hardcore Hardtailers – Pedal preference
  • prezet
    Free Member

How many of you who ride HH’s ride clipped in?

Just wondering, as I’m currently running flats, and notice that sometimes on the rougher decent’s my feet can occasionally jump off the pedals.

29er hardtail with Egg Beaters for commuting and racing.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I had to adopt the ‘dropped heels’ technique to avoid the occasional foot bounced of the pedal incident.

5lab

I ride flats – i’ve not ridden spuds for (10?) years offroad, and I find I don’t have a problem with feet grip even on full on DH tracks.

moonboy
    Free Member

Dialled PA (sufficient gnarr to comment?)

Spds with cages.

portlyone

I have spds now but learnt how to drop my heels when I had flats.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Currently running M545 caged SPD’s on my Ragley Blue Pig X. They were also used on my Dialled Prince Albert.

xiphon
    Free Member

What’s this ‘hardcore hardtail’ you speak of?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Flats obviously. SPD’s dont sound “hardcore” at all, more “inappropriate LT XC mince hardtail”

VanHalen

flats.

trying spd`s but its making hte inside front of my right knee hurt.

kiwijohn

Time Z Control on my DMR.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

dialled alpine, flats- mahoosive gert easton flatboys (fatboy would be more accurate). If your feet come off youre doing it wrong (mine do occasionally, I’m still newish to flats after 18yrs of spds)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

HX1 – nuke proof flats. Thinking of going back to spds though…

RealMan
    Free Member

spds. And I’ve had my feet bounce out of them on really rough tracks once, so it’s not just flats.

Roblilly
    Free Member

SPDs…really cheap shimano ones

soobalias
    Free Member

always ride clipped in
    my bike might be considered hardcore, but its rider is not

i would try flats, but i’d have to buy some new shoes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Flats on the 456, SPD’s (well, candy’s) on the Sanderson life, which is arguably less ‘core.

lunge

SPD’s on the P7, flats in the Jack Flash

Keva
    Free Member

flats on all bikes. Very rarely get bounced off, only because of my bad driving.

Kev

docrobster
    Free Member

456SS
    Caged shimano spds (PDM647).
    I would really struggle without the cages.

tracknicko
    Free Member

flats. always flats.

half the point of the so called hardtail HT thing is razzing about in the woods.

you can’t razz on clips (unless you are Dr Pete) you just can’t…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Anybody who’s feet get bounced – Your technique is flawed, which is why it happens.

Flats for me all the way

tracknicko
    Free Member

sometimes your feet do shift around on flats. it’s not the end of the world. anyone that claims they remain in the perfect position 100% of the time is cockwavey BSing.

but i’d MUCH rather occasionally pedal on a wangle, than have my feet glued to the pedals when i slip out on a corner, or have the HUGE irritation of being clipped out and sat on top of a pedal in stiff clippy shoes, bouncing all over the place with my feet slipping off everywhere.

Hateful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

flats. always flats.

half the point of the so called hardtail HT thing is razzing about in the woods.

I’d argue against that on all three points.

1st, Horses for courses, some days I’ll do some riding that requires favours flats, other days SPD’s

2nd, As above, I buy/bought them as a jack of all trades, my “messing about in the woods” is actualy a full suss.

3rd, It’s all in your head. I can ride as fast on either pedal over techy stuff. IMO the commitment required to ride fast is less than the commitment required to ride in SPDs, and going fast means your less likely to dab so it’s less of a problem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anyone that claims they remain in the perfect position 100% of the time is cockwavey BSing.

Or just owns some good shoes and burgtech pedals :p

si-wilson
    Free Member

flats and spd’s for me. Quite enjoying spd’s on my Ti hardcore HT at the moment.

kudos100
    Free Member

Horses for courses. I ride flats, but I have a friend who will ride everything but massive dirt jumps clipped in.

The reason I like flats is they help to teach better technique when learning. If you can manual, bunnyhop and rail corners really well then it doesn’t really matter what you ride.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i dont know if i made as many as 3 points.

it’s not ‘techy’ stuff as such. im not scared of being clipped in. or worried that i wont get out. i rode clips on my dh bike for about 3 years including a whole season in the alps

its more about weight distribution in corners, particularly on HT… having an inside foot off and sliding. sprinting, wheeliying, lipping off stupid lips that dont really exist…just razzing around!

SO much fun.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

flats. always flats.

Yeh thats it. If your riding xc then fine, use clips.

But surely the point of these bikes is for razzing about, riding jumps and doing downhill? Dunno why you’d even consider anything other than flat pedals.

tracknicko
    Free Member

YAY! that’s exactly it!

gwj72
    Free Member

DMR V12’s now for about 10 years. Tried spd’s a few times feeling I should wear them, but never felt comfortable.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Generally Time Z controls on my PA, but experimenting on the flat-side after 20 years of clipiness.

Learning the ‘heel drop’ technique very quickly too… But loving the foot-outiness of flats.

(altho if I’m honest the bike does get used more for XC at the mo apart from the odd venture to Aston Hill)

tracknicko
    Free Member

incidentally i have no idea what the ‘heel drop’ technique is. i dont get why you’d drop your heels unless you were going down a steep chute or something? or braking hard maybe.

how can you bunny hop if your heels are down?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Depends where I am. If there’s not many corners (ie Peaks) but plenty of biggish climbs, then spds as they’re simply faster.

Lots of corners? Flats. Funnerer.

xiphon
    Free Member

tracknicko – More about the ‘heel drop’ from somebody who coaches stuff.

Be A Better Rider Part 4: Heels

tracknicko
    Free Member

interesting. perhaps something that happens naturally as i dont think i have ever considered when riding what’s going on with me heels.

hilldodger
    Free Member

xtr trail spds or wellgo mg1 flats,
    quite happy to mix and match depending upon where I’m riding.

GW
    Free Member

flats with all but 5 pedal pins removed each side and normal non sticky skate shoes and honestly don’t need to my drop heels to keep my feet in place when it gets rough.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Both.

Was very happy to have opted for flats on the black at Ft Bill.

GW
    Free Member

are you referring to the DH track? ^^ 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore Hardtailers – Pedal preference’ is closed to new replies.