Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hard choice
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I’m currently on the waiting list or the Royal Navy and in the process of getting as fit as possible for it.

All the males in my family have been Royal Marine Comando’s even if for a short period of time. I am seriously considering applying fresh to become a Commando! My Dad believes I dont have the head for it and after discussing it through with my Granddad last night he seems to think I can do it, he did say keep it out of earshot from parents as long as possible and continue under my own steam till its time to shoot of for 32 weeks of training!

Both my Mum and Dad know there is nothing greater than wearing the Green Berret and the reputation of brotherhood it comes with.

I;m going to do this for myself, not family pride and I have a huge passion for amphibious workings and boats as I am currently Lifeboat crew.

Just not sure how I should go about it all …..

wwaswas

what’s the route into the SBS – is there one from the Marines?

alfabus
    Free Member

what choice are you having trouble with?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stop wearing pants.

samuri
    Free Member

Aim as high as you possibly can dude.
    You’ll regret not trying if you don’t.

aracer
    Free Member

What do you want to do? It’s your life and you only get one go.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Main route to sbs is marines yes

derekrides
    Free Member

GreenBeret = Craphat I have on good authority from my lifelong riding chum.. (Para)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

4XJ – if you can’t simply do the minimum fitness requirements then I’d re-think if it’s right for you.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Yeti:

I have already passed the aptitude test
    The Medical

Fitness is what i’m waiting on before I can go off to Raleigh and my trade has a 3 year wait so they’re not rushing the fitness test anytime soon.

All transferable across to Royal Marines so plan is to keep working on fitness and get it as good as can possibly be!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can you do the running bit? If you went out now?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

If I went out now I wouldn’t be able to complete the running no. Pull ups, sit ups, press and bleep test are no issue!

I am currently on a training regime of a 5mile run a day and a 25km cycle then I’ll up the run to 7 miles before the cycle and keep uping the pace as I find it easier.

Working on weights and the rest at home.

willard

I would say do it. If you have a three year wait for your trade in the Navy, what’s to lose applying for the Marines now?

In terms of excitement and travel, I think you would get exactly the same, if not more travel than in the Navy, but [possibly] without spending so much time in a tin can.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You should do speed intervals.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect if you (really) doubt yourself and need to ask people you possibly can’t do it. But if you’re just being thrown a “bum-steer” by someone and want a sanity check, as mentioned above – aim for what you want or more, if you don’t you’ll regret it. At least you’d have tried?

Garry_Lager

I’d imagine you’d need to be absolutely pishing all over that initial fitness test John to consider any high level group in the forces – it’s just something they put out there to stop the fatties applying. I’d do OK on that and you wouldn’t want my wheezing carcass anywhere near the royal marines.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are running too much.

Otherwise – go for it – why the hell not?

nickf
    Free Member

I am currently on a training regime of a 5mile run a day and a 25km cycle then I’ll up the run to 7 miles before the cycle and keep uping the pace as I find it easier.

My brother was a Commando Engineer, and was/is easily the fittest, hardest b******* I’ve met. He was second in his intake at Sandhurst, and had no difficulties with the physical side of that. He also represented GB in the Military Pentathalon, so no slouch fitness-wise.

He then went on to the 9-week All-Arms Commando course, which nearly killed him. The physical side was exceptionally hard, but the mental side was considerably harder. So unless you’re absolutely capable of doing the physical side pretty easily (when you’re in good condition), there’s no chance you’ll be able to keep up when you’re stressed/tired/carrying an injury. However fit you think you are, you’ll need to be much fitter.

cheese@4p

I can’t understand why your parents are trying to hold you back. Did they “have the head for it” before they joined up and did training?
    I doubt it
    IF you really want to do it for yourself you should go for it (and prove them wrong in the process)but you should decide based on your own feelings alone.

wrecker
    Free Member

Main route to sbs is marines yes

Not true. SBS is now tri-service. There is no “main route”, everyone has to go the same “route”.
    You can go Navy commando you know.

Jamie
    Free Member

You are running too much.

Yeah, take advice from the IT consultant who never posted after pictures 8)

stratobiker
    Free Member

Just not sure how I should go about it all …..

Which bit are you not sure about?

SB

aracer
    Free Member

I’d imagine you’d need to be absolutely pishing all over that initial fitness test John to consider any high level group in the forces – it’s just something they put out there to stop the fatties applying. I’d do OK on that and you wouldn’t want my wheezing carcass anywhere near the royal marines.

+1. I’ve been over the commando assault course at their barracks and found it pretty tough, when I was in condition to do that fitness test in my sleep. I’d suggest that’s very much a minimum requirement – go in at that level and expect the training to hurt. A lot. I also spent quite a bit of time with one of their PT instructors, and he was really hard.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You need to be doing 5 miles a couple of times a day progressing up to off road running. It’s not how fit you are at the start of training but your stamina to keep going when you think you have nothing left. You will be physically knackered half way through the training no matter how fit you are and the rest is down to mental toughness. If you haven’t pushed yourself until you throw up then get back out and do so because you will be pushed that far then have to it all again during training.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’d wear pants if I was you.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds like hard work. I’ll stick to CoD.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hard choice’ is closed to new replies.