• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Handlebar width??
  • votchy
    Free Member

Is the quoted width of the bars the straight line tip to tip measurement or is it the length of the bar pre bend etc? Reason I ask is my FSA Gravity light bars on one bike are quoted as 710mm wide and measure 690mm tip to tip and my Easton Monkeylite carbon bars on the other bike are quoted as 685mm and measure 660mm. Is handlebar width another ‘tyre width’ kind of measurement??

Stevo210
    Free Member

I dont know the official stance, but I sent some Ritchie carbon bars back as they were supposed to be 660 and measured 640mm.
    But even stranger is I now have Easton Monkeylite bars and they measure the specified 685mm.

None of that probably helps but you’re not alone.

ps. I sent the Ritchey bars straight back no quibble as the shop said ‘That’s odd’!!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

It might be the tube length before bending/forming

bigdonx
    Free Member

Pretty sure its the width as measured post bend ie the straight line tip to tip – every set I have ever measured has been this way and have been as per specced. I think!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tip to tip.

Any other method of measurement would just be silly and misleading, wouldn’t it?

votchy
    Free Member

Wonder if the OEM versions are different to the after market jobbies? Does seem odd that they are both wrong by a ‘not insignificant amount’.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Are they wrong compared to what is stamped on the bars, or compared to what the seller said they were on website/whatever? Seems there are many bars with similar names that have different width depending on rise, material, whether xc or AM version, etc, etc

bol

The bonus is that you have the psychological advantage of thinking you’re riding the latest fashionably wide bars, while not getting knocked off or having to slow down when you ride close to trees.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar width??’ is closed to new replies.