Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Guns and gun storage
  • bagpuss
    Free Member

Anyone on here know much about firearms and their storage?

On Wednesday there was a shooting in the house at the back of our place, the home owner is in hospital with what are described as serious injuries, I don’t know him or much about him but hopefully he’ll be OK. He was shot with one of an unspecified number of firearms that he legally kept in his house. We’re not talking about a farmer who needs them we’re in a residential area that’s usually a bit quiet. Neither I or my neighbours had any idea that he kept guns in his house. The weapon used in the attack has not been recovered.

The question is – given that he’s been shot with a gun that he was supposed to keep securely in his house are the police now likely to take away his license? Or does it not work like that?

tron
    Free Member

There are umpteen conditions to a gun licence. A locked cabinet and nobody else knowing the key’s location are two of them. I’d be very surprised if he kept his licence, unless the key was taken from him.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Cheers, given that he’s been in intensive care for a couple of days I do wonder if he’d want to keep any when he’s recovered. Just have visions of Rambo running through gardens when he gets out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JAG

Kind of depends what they mean by firearms. Shotguns have very different storage requirements to ‘real’ guns.

My brother has ‘real guns: .303 Lee Enfield rifle etc… and yep they have to be locked away in a cabinet of a specific design.

I believe that shotguns can be kept in a far more casual manner.

Hadge
    Free Member

I kept firearms that had to be kept in proper wall mounted safes as did the ammo. I had a rifle safe and pistol/ammo safe at my parents house and before you were granted a firearms license the cops haad to check it all out and ensure they couldn’t be removed from the walls easy. The cop turned up with a huge crow-bar and tried to prize them off the wall but obviously they were fine.
    I think today shotguns have to be kept in safes too but you can find all that out on the web.

Raindog
    Free Member

Shotguns need to be kept securely as well. The Police are unlikely to issue anyone with a shotgun certificate (different to a firearms license) unless they have a securely fitted, BS approved cabinet which can not be seen by casual callers. The Police will come round when you apply for a SGC and try and pull the cabinet off the wall, too. The main difference is that a Shotgun Certificate allows you to buy and keep as many shotguns as you want, without having to re-apply for every new one you buy, although they must all be recorded on your certificate and you have to white to the police when you sell one to tell them where it has gone. You can also keep up to about 10,000 cartridges at home. Firearms (anything that takes a bullet) have to be applied for individually, and you have to prove you have the proper place to use them – you can’t just buy a sniper rifle because you fancy one. You will also be limited to a maximum number of rounds which have to be stored in a separate locked cabinet to your rifles.

To cut a long story short if the Police decide you are not a fit and proper person (for instance, if you get nicked for drinking and driving) they can take away your guns and revoke your license to keep them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Neither I or my neighbours had any idea that he kept guns in his house.

that’s how it should be. most legitimate gun owners would prefer to keep it that way.

depending on the details of the incident he may retain his license, you will just have to wait and see. not that it’s any of your business.

Hadge
    Free Member

If the safe has a seperate lockable compartment for ammo, that used to be ok with the Police as mine did. Your spot on to regarding the purchase of any fireamr, you had to prove you needed it although different target classes enabled you buy an UZI 9mm for some form of target shooting. I did Practical Rifle and Pistol shooting so I was allowed to own a very nice 7.62 H&K SLR plus a few .45ACP semi-auto pistols.

As for neighbours knowing, why should they know who has guns and who doesn’t! Mine did as I knew them all well and I practiced air-weapons in my garden too. Those were the days…………….. 😥

bagpuss
    Free Member

Cheers all. Sounds like it’s ‘only’ shotguns that he’s got and one of those is missing. Along with whoever pulled the trigger.

Mr Smith, of course in normal circumstances it would be none of my business, if he’d kept his shotguns securely, secure enough so that no one could shoot him with one then you’d be right. But given he’s been shot by his own gun and I’ve had police officers all over the place for 3 days it’s become my business.

Hadge
    Free Member

It never ceased to amaze me the number of people shot with their own guns or members of their family’s also doing so! Because some idiot left the gun loaded!!!! No firearms were ever allowed to leave the ranges I ever used without being checked for safety first so it just points out it’s not the gun that kills – it’s the idiot on the other end.
    If the guy who got robbed had his guns safe, then maybe his robber found the safe and then un-locked the safe. Mine were hidden away and I kept my keys with me at all times. A spare set was always kept somewhere safe – not at home either.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The test for shotgun ownership is that the police must be satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to possess one without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

given the events you’ve described, I’d be almost certain that any firearms held would have been taken away and the owners certificate under review. It certainly sounds like something drastic and very peculiar has gone on, the use of legally held firearms in crime is very rare in the UK.

As an FAC holder, I’ve had to demonstrate not only that I can be trusted, but also that I have a justifiable reason to own one, safe storage, and a personal interview with the police over my reasons.

rest assured that whatever has gone on sounds to have been extraordinary, to be shot with his own gun… 😯

MrKmkII
    Free Member

my dad once had a shotgun. there was nothing casual about its storage – locked in a bolted down cabinet, cos that’s the law, or so he seemed to think…

bagpuss
    Free Member

Thanks Zulu, it’s certainly interesting around here at the moment. Armed officers and dog teams on Wednesday night. Forensic units all day Thursday and Friday along with any number of uniformed officers. Like watching something off the TV. Scaled back today to security guards and a few officers at various times. Robbery hasn’t been mentioned in the media, obviously the police at the scene aren’t saying anything.

Oddly although one shotgun is missing there has been no mention of the police searching for a suspect. Cannot think of anyway he’d have been able to shoot himself then get rid of the gun before ending up in intensive care. Fingers crossed he will recover.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Neither I or my neighbours had any idea that he kept guns in his house

Why should you? it’s none of your business and before this incident which you have described with what appears to be no basis of fact, purely hearsay and gossip, it had no effect on your life

Hadge….another Practical Pistol shooter? I used to love practical pistol, the only hobby i ever really enjoyed. I was gutted after Dunblane and the knee-jerkers decided to ban it……luckily I still had time to cancel the order I had put in for a custom 9mm race gun.

Them were indeed the days 😥

MrSmith
    Free Member

It never ceased to amaze me the number of people shot with their own guns or members of their family’s also doing so!

how many is that then?
    it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s less than the amount of people killed on their driveway by their own cars or people killed by cows/bulls.

Hadge
    Free Member

Mr Smith I don’t keep count but I’m sure you’ve heard it on the news or read it, trust me it does happen. I didn’t say died either as I said got shot – just like people who get their toes run over by their cars but don’t get killed.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Boba Fatt, which facts would you like clarified?

Man with shotgun injuries in intensive care, fact
    Weapon missing from his ‘secure’ storage, fact.
    Shot approx 20m from where I’m sitting, fact. With a clear line of sight ,no cover.

“of course in normal circumstances it would be none of my business”

You may be quite happy for armed police to go through your garden in the dark but it’s kinda freaked me out. Have you got anything useful to add or did you miss the point of my original post

“The question is – given that he’s been shot with a gun that he was supposed to keep securely in his house are the police now likely to take away his license? Or does it not work like that?”

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If it puts your mind at ease… Hopefully this puts things into proportion

14000 firearms offences in 2008/9 according to the home office (includes air weapons, CS gas & imitation firearms)

shotguns used in 619, with seven fatalities – this includes illegally held ones!

4275 crimes involving handguns, that have been illegal for over a decade! 28 fatalities

38% of all firearms crimes were in London/Met police area – add manchester and birmingham, and only 40% occurred in the whole rest of the country (76% of the population)

So, you can see how likely a legally held firearm is to be used in crime – if we compare this to the 2500 road deaths in the same period…

bagpuss
    Free Member

Is that all??? The media do give a somewhat different slant on figures don’t they?

Nearly soiled myself taking the remains of a curry out to the bin on Weds, security light comes on as usual and a voice from the dark “Armed Police…”.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bagpuss. To answer your question, yes, it is likely that he will have his licence revoked. Not definite, it’s impossible to say without knowing all the circumstances, but definitely more chance he’ll lose it than keep it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Guns and gun storage’ is closed to new replies.