Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Gumtree Scams beware
  • zap
    Free Member

Sorry if this subject has all ready been covered its not often I come on here anymore.
    Anyway to cut a long story short a seller on gumtree tried to extract £1100 out of me today but saw them coming a mile off and just wondered how far they would go.
    They were selling a 5dmk2, 17-40l, and a 135l f2. all for the huge amount of £1100. The resale value on this lot on ebay is about £2.5k-£3k on a good day. At the time I thought i did think this is too good to be true, but maybe I could take advantage of some dumb ass not knowing the true value of what they have. I need another 5dmk 2 to replace my 5d as my second camera and the 17-40 is a good lense I could do with so I thought I could upgrade some gear and make a profit on selling on if it was all true.
    Anyway not doing a good job on cutting a long story short here am I.
    I was heading south on thursday and offered to collect. She said (tiffany by the way) she would use a courier to send the goods as she was working away, i would be given chance to inspect before handing over £1100. Starting to pen and ink this now more than ever.
    I then get an email from Fedex requesting I deposit the money somewhere, the clues in the email are endless to the fraud, so just forwarded to the real fedex fraud deptartment who surprisingly confirmed the scam. Guess what not heard form tiffany the dress designer since.
    So please don’t get caught out there are numerous tales on the web forums about people who have been caught out and parted with cash. Its not just fedex they use also UPS.
    I suppose the moral is if its too good to be true it usually is.

scaredypants

you’ll be saying the bikes on there are nicked next 😉

zap
    Free Member

Gosh do people steel bikes how so very dishonest.

donsimon
    Free Member

Gosh do people steel bikes how so very dishonest.

Some people even carbon bikes, but that’s a different thread altogether.
    Thanks for the heads up OP.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Gumtree Scams beware’ is closed to new replies.