Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Guitarists – Pedals
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Haven’t bought a pedal for nearly twenty years now and am hankering for some chorus and delay. In the old days I would have bought two separate Boss pedals. What would you recommend now as there are loads of these all-in-one thingys but I’m not sure I have the will to read the manuals.

banks
    Free Member

They are a bit crap tbh as It’s difficult to beat dedicated pedals. Currently using boss blues driver & digital delay & an original electro-harmonix clone theory through a Roland jazz chorus amp – pretty good for those chameleons/smiths/orange juice moments.

Also got a boss super chorus pedal for sale btw..

willej

Get individual pedals. Multi effects units are just far too complicated and rarely sound better than individual pedals, unless you’re spending megabucks.

I’m currently using a Boss DD-20 delay, which has all of the classic Boss analogue and digital delays, along with some newer ones, and has the huge advantage of having 4 programmable presets. It’s brilliantly versatile, especially for the gigging guitarist.

The best chorus I’ve had is an old Ibanez SC-10. I’m not that keen on chorus but generally the older ones sound better.

Also, don’t be afraid of trying non-Boss pedals.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the Super Chorus banks, email me a price

willej: thanks for the DD-20 prompt but looks a little to techo for me.

banks
    Free Member

Will do & i’ll stick some photos in, could you pm your email please, i can’t find your it just leads me to OCD cycling.

DavidB
    Free Member

banks dave@phased.co.uk

Don’t think there is any PM facility here that I know of

DavidB
    Free Member
    avdave2

Multi effects units are just far too complicated and rarely sound better than individual pedals, unless you’re spending megabucks.

That would explain why my friend’s Pete Cornish pedal board has just gone for £1700 on ebay.

grum
    Free Member

There’s a brand of pedals called Joyo (I think) that you can buy from HK on eBay. Some of them are apparently clones of pedals like Ibanez’ Tube Screamer. I’ve got a couple and they sound pretty good to me – reasonably made too though they’ve not had any serious abuse yet.

Quite good for the money IMO.

Atomizer

I got a Boss ME50 multi fx from ebay. It’s lots of Boss pedals in one box plus a foot pedal.
    Easy to use and easy to store different sounds, takes up little space.
    Wouldn’t go back to separate pedals now
    Apart from wanting a looper now…

CountZero

Saw Blood Red Shoes last week, and this is the kit Laura-Mary Carter uses:
    Fender American Telecaster
    Fender Japanese ’62 Reissue Telecaster (sold on Ebay)
    Springtime
    Marshall DSL50 JCM2000 Head
    Marshall 1960TV Cabinet
    Boss DD-6
    Boss TU-2
    Marshall Guv’nor GV-2 Plus
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
    Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
    Electro-Harmonix Micro Synth
    She manages to make quite a creative racket with those pedals, and mounted on a very nifty square-section tube pedal board. Nice neat set-up.

grum
    Free Member

Boba Fatt, yeah think that’s the TS clone. I’ve not got that one but I’ve got he compressor and a octave distortion, both pretty decent IMO. There’s some reviews on an American site somewhere I think.

petefromearth

I’m not really a pedal junkie but i would definitely recommend the Polytune by TC Electronics. It is such a good tuner, very well made and easy to use.

The only other pedal I have is an Electro-Harmonix Double Muff. It has one extra muff. Say you’re on one muff, where’d you go from there? Nowhere that’s where.

willej

+1 for the TC Electronic Polytune. Not really an effect but the best tuner I’ve had. I’m hankering after their Hall of Fame reverb pedal at the moment…

Tom-B
    Free Member

My current guitar rig is Boss TU3>Crybaby Wah>Boss OD20>Boss DD6. On a bcb60 board

My current bass rig (for live dubstep/dnb/electronica) Boss TU3>Digitech Whammy IV>Joyo Dynamic Comp>Behringer bsy600 with expression pedal>Tone Factor Fuzz Saw>Source Audio MWBD>Source Audio BEF with Hot Hand>Boss DD6>Boss NS2. Soon to be added are a switching system a line 6 M9 and a Boss OC2.

Op, I have a Boss CH1 for sale cheap if you didn’t get the one offered earlier in the thread……I’d also recommend Boss delays as they sound amazing. For just two pedals, I’d still go for individual stompboxes rather than a multieffects-you need to spend a lot of money to get a decent sound one imho.

willej

Source Audio MWBD>Source Audio BEF with Hot Hand

Waaaaah-wooooooow-woopp-woopp-wooppp-wooppp-wooooaaaawww!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Good vid innit…..he’s just been endorsed by source audio on the back of it.

bigblackshed

Polytune from TC Electronics. You can also download the app for iPhone, it was free when I got it, not sure on the price now.

I’ve heard a few of the Joyo pedals. Excellent value and very close to the originals. Barely a difference when side by side against an old Tube Screamer.

Boss is the standard go to. Plus there are loads on evil bay. If you want a multi effects pedal, Line 6 all the way. The HD range is true bypass and doesn’t colour your sound if you turn off the amp modelling, unlike ther earlier models. The M13 is a good multi effects and very easy to use. Good old fashioned knob to twiddle! 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Zoom G3 and it is very good.

I looked at going down the route of individual pedals but they are pretty expensive and this one is pretty simple to use and sounds great.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use the following:

Fender Jazzmasters

Electro-Harmonix Ravish (an amazingly complex thing that can sound epic or horrific if set wrong!)
    Soldano GTO Supercharger (just bloody wonderful)
    Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (again, bloody lovely)

and occasionally I add in

Seymor Duncan Tweekfuzz (modified)
    Boss DS-1
    Dunlop Crybaby
    (unknown tremolo) Vibrator

plugged into a Vox AC30VR

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists – Pedals’ is closed to new replies.