Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Guitar for beginner.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I know this has been done before but I couldn’t find any old threads. Looking at a Yamaha F310, are there any others to consider?

LycraLout
    Free Member

ibanez v70

also, check out harmony central – not easy to browse but loads and loads of reviews

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Don’t know of the F310 specifically, but I don’t think you can go far wrong with a Yamaha. Don’t think I’ve ever played a bad one. They seem to be very good value whatever price bracket you’re looking at in my opinion (I own a fairly high end Martin for what it’s worth).

My main advice would be whatever you buy, to get it from your local shop and get them to include a full set up. Having it set up properly (especially the action), will make a world of difference! I can’t stress that enough!

Hope that helps!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Go to shops with a budget in mind and play as many guitars as you can find within that budget. Don’t worry about playing tunes, just sit with the guitar and fret and pluck some strings – some will feel uncomfortable; some will feel comfortable. You might even find one that feels just right.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Leave near edinburgh so a few shops to chose from. My first guitar has a very high action which makes bar chords a near impossibilty. This and children has stopped me from playing for quite few years but would like to give it another go. Will a shop go to the trouble of setting up the guitar for a relatively cheap buy? I’d love a Martin or the like one day but I need to be able to play the thing to justify it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Will a shop go to the trouble of setting up the guitar for a relatively cheap buy?

It’s a five minute job to adjust the truss and retune, so they really should. In the unlikely event of needing a new saddle, they’ll probably charge you somewhere in the region of a tenner to supply/fit.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Ok, thanks.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d get someone you know who plays to go along with you. I agree with everyone else, low action(as low as it can go without fret buzz) and nice feeling fretboard are the things you’re after…Can’t recommend you much mind, i prefer classical guitars myself with nylon, but then i’m a bit weird that way! I learned many moons ago on a Fender Gemini which was good for a beginner.

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

“Will a shop go to the trouble of setting up the guitar for a relatively cheap buy?”

Should do. I did a bit of part time christmas work for Sound Control years ago, most of the more budget guitars got at least some work before they went on sale (though tbh the job was more about QC and rejecting absolute duffers, aaargh Westfield aaargh)

Check out Live Music, they seem to be carrying Vintage now, quite variable (or used to be at least, I’m way out of date) but they could be very good value back in the day. Mev has Freshman on discount as well, never actually played one of those but they’ve got a good rep.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Was looking at a Westfield semi accoustic, looks like I should give that a miss.

chiefgrooveguru

It may be possible to significantly lower the action on your current guitar (depending on how straight the neck is) by recutting the nut, stoning the frets, tweaking the truss-rod or shimming the neck (if it has one or the neck bolts on) and adjusting/filing the bridge saddles. So if it sounds nice despite being hard to play, then try that. Also consider lighter gauge strings.

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

“Was looking at a Westfield semi accoustic, looks like I should give that a miss.”

The good ones were fine… But we were sending back something like 1 in 5 as unservicable. Hopefully the rest were fine after. I’d say just judge each one as you find it not on brands etc, some companies manage really consistent quality, Yamaha are one and Crafter used to be another but most companies you get ups and downs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Guitar for beginner.’ is closed to new replies.