Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Guess the damage – VAG TDI Cambelt
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

Hence “guess the damage”.

Hopefully there won’t be any significant cost for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You might have been right till Mr aa man brought his experience to the table and banjod it

rmacattack
    Free Member

think it will be a ‘ what new car thread’ soon

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hopefully there won’t be any significant cost for me.

I bet the owner will be out for a very long time…

stumpy01

trail_rat – Member

You might have been right till Mr aa man brought his experience to the table and banjod it

Mate of mine has the same thing happen to his Octavia vRS.
    Tensioner failed while driving it back from the Halfords service place he’d just had the cambelt done at.
    He called the AA out to recover the car & the first thing the bloke said was to turn it over so he could see what’s up – even after my mate told him it occurred while being driven back from having the cambelt changed. Nuts.

senorj

Agreed.
    I reckon £1895 ex Vat to repair.
    I banjoed a clio once ,starting it up after the belt had gone,similar age car.
    The scrap van collected it a couple of days later.

zokes
    Free Member

One would assume that the AA will be assuming liability then?

mikeyd
    Free Member

And the answer is…

Cause:
    Tensioner stud pulled out of engine block (probably due to 3rd or 4th timing belt going on the car (216,000miles)

Damage:
    Garage said engine seems fine, start,runs and revs well. Compression good, no smoke etc.

Resolution:
    Helicoil engine block for to fit new tensioner stud.
    New timing belt and tensioner

Cost:
    Missing NYD blast around local loop.

Losing Maxle on my Lyrics in the transfer of bike between various cars during the recovery process.

molgrips
    Free Member

Win!

wwaswas

*thumb*

molgrips
    Free Member

Name and fame the garage? That’s decent service I reckon. Unless they actually screwed it up and are making nice – but even so, that’s not bad.

Northwind

stumpy01 – Member

He called the AA out to recover the car & the first thing the bloke said was to turn it over so he could see what’s up – even after my mate told him it occurred while being driven back from having the cambelt changed. Nuts.

Really, what are the odds that the car had a belt issue while driving and was completely unscathed- and then turning it over for the AA man killed it?

theocb
    Free Member

Damage:
    Garage said engine seems fine, start,runs and revs well. Compression good, no smoke etc.

Oh yes, I bet they did 😉

orangespyderman

Really, what are the odds that the car had a belt issue while driving and was completely unscathed- and then turning it over for the AA man killed it?

Exceedingly unlikely, but not impossible would be my WAG. If it has slipped, but not significantly, then a crank on a high-torque starter motor from stopped might cause it to slip further and get far enough out for valves to hit pistons etc. Or not. It’s Schrodinger’s combustion chamber.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it could have been held in some precarious position then when the engine stopped it became dislodged further, or another tooth slipped or something. Plausible, if not especially likely is my uninformed guess. But sounds like the OP got away with it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Excellent luck there OP.
    Buy a lottery ticket.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I didn’t understand the “cost” resolution .. what’s NYD ?

And sadly not bendyovertakeitupthebottomwithoutlube resolution we were all betting on.

Is dissapoint.

pictonroad

Same outcome as my colleague’s A6. His has been fine since, the tensioner fail doesn’t seem to banjax the engine every time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lotto tickets ahoy.

good outcome.

mikeyd
    Free Member

NYD = New Year Day.

I think the fact it was still running when I turned it off probably saved the engine. The belt looked like it was about to fall off the top cam gear thing when the AA man undid the belt cover, so I think I was seconds away from total disaster…

gonzy
    Free Member

had a similar thing happen on my last car…a nissan almera. driving home on the motorway…i heard a large crack and bang as something came off at 70mph. managed to drive the remaining 6 miles home tentatively. phoned Green Flag who sent an independent recovery guy to the house. luckily he didnt ask me to start the engine straight away. he had a look under the bonnet and told me that the belts had come off but that was due to the main pulley wheel shearing off its mounting plate. he did start the engine after that to check it was running fine. towed to the garage to get it replaced and all was good again.

molgrips
    Free Member

the fact it was still running when I turned it off probably saved the engine

Eh, surely an engine has to be running for you to be able to turn it off?

mikeyd
    Free Member

Ticket bought… not that lucky it would seem.

Pigface
    Free Member

Used up all your 2017 luck 😉

aracer
    Free Member

So it could have been killed by turning it over on AA man’s advice? Good outcome though 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

wzzzz
    Free Member

The garage also dodged a bullet there.

It was completely out of their control and nothing to do with the work they did.

Most would have them strung up if the outcome was worse and they refused repair.

mikeyd
    Free Member

This is what all the fuss was about

Swelper
    Free Member

And a bottle of Wainright to boot. Lovely beer

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Guess the damage – VAG TDI Cambelt’ is closed to new replies.