Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Guess the damage – VAG TDI Cambelt
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

Facts:

1. Came off motorway slip road, noticed rough sounding idle

2. drove another 500m until safe place to stop, engine down on power.

3. Idle sounding pretty bad and jumping around 700-1000rpm at this point.

4. Engine turned off.

5. Engine cranked at request of AA man – didn’t start, knocking sound.

6. Car recovered, garage said last night that it looks like tensioner failure.

7. Cambelt/tensioner/water pump replaced by above garage 3000miles/3months ago.

8. 2005 2.0TDI PD engine in Audi A6

wwaswas

Based on my experiences with an Alfa I’d go with £3000.

bearnecessities

£2690.

Is there a prize?

br
    Free Member

What warranty came with the recent garage work? You’d expect at least parts, although were they VW or pattern parts?

And £1850+vat.

rickmeister

If it is cam belt slippage, something along the lines of:
    Bent valves
    Damaged pistons
    Cylinder head damage
    Interesting chat with your dealer and inspection of the tensioner etc etc, ducking and diving to follow.

Thats very spendy…. if its not warranted at the garage that did the work. Was it a main dealer or independent?

wwaswas

Is there a prize?

I hope so.

The lack of tension is killing me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

7. Cambelt/tensioner/water pump replaced by above garage 3000miles/3months ago.

You need a lawyer, AA provide them as part of membership.

ratherbeintobago

In a 12yo car, more than it’s worth?

peteimpreza

Cost to you should be zero as the garage should repair that under warranty .

Basil

I wonder how much recon units go for???

wagenwheel

Free (hopefully)

Rockhopper
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i guess this is part of the reason why timing belts are so pricy to get done for how not hugely difficult they are ….

price of failure is high though..

Be interesting to know the brand of tensioner -waterpumps and tensioners i always try to use dealer issued genuine parts. Having had a failure also on a vw engine ….. 2001 golf. water pump failure = terminal head and piston damage.

Mister-P
    Free Member

When I spoke to a garage about having my cam belt done on a 2.0 TDI they mentioned a common fault where the tensioner strips the thread on removal. They always re-tap before fitting a new tensioner.

windydave13
    Free Member

Does the PD engine have an interference head on it?

takisawa2

I think the op needs to tighten his belt & cut the garage some slack.

boltonjon

You’ve got a great claim against the garage who performed the earlier work – VAG or independent

Ensure that you get lots of pictures when you get an independent party to dismantle the cambelt case

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll play, £2117 inc VAT.
    No tea whilst you wait, no biscuits either, a rough smirk from the receptionist, and the yoof in the corner of the garage sniffing gives you his cold.

theocb
    Free Member

2005 2.0TDI PD engine in Audi A6

Don’t you know where you are man?
    2005 vehicles have been banished to the scrapyards, shirley! 😀

Time for a trip to the dealership for one of those cheap pay monhtly 2017 plates.
    Garage didg’ya a favour.

Tallpaul

Looks like tensioner failure

Sadly, this may be through no fault of the garage which carried out the work. It really could come down to how honest the garage is and how much good will they show if they can’t prove it wasn’t them.

Assuming a meeting of pistons and valves and subsequent head damage. A recon engine may be the most economical repair.

But of a nightmare situation TBH. You just have to hope the garage take it on the chin and at least offer a very healthy contribution. But, sadly even correctly maintained motors go pop sometimes.

Sandwich

Has sir requested lube after he holds the bench in both hands?

£2749.66 inc VAT and environmental charge (no lube) £50 extra for lube

sobriety
    Free Member

2. drove another 500m until safe place to stop, engine down on power.

3. Idle sounding pretty bad and jumping around 700-1000rpm at this point.

Wow, I’m surprised your car went at all after it jumped, when mine went all I got was a series of bangs, the dash lighting up like a christmas tree and ominous silence at 70mph (in the outside lane of the M1). I put dents in the pistons and bent every valve.

Mine was an old renault megane, and I think it came to about £700 in parts, no labour as me and my Dad did the work, fortunately he’s a mechanic.

Parts were only a reconditioned head/belt/tensioner/sundries, as we did it on the cheap, had a bit of a knock on the bottom end, but put another 10000 miles on it (at 100 miles a day commute) before it got traded in and became somebody else’s problem.

allthegear
    Free Member

£50 extra for lube

that is a lot of lube… 😯

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

New cambelt in my car, same engine is £349 without water pump I think from VW.

If you’ve knackered valves though, I dunno.

pictonroad

Chap at work had exactly the same thing happen to an 07 A6 2.0 TDI, think it was 15k miles (ish) after Audi did the cambelt.

He had similar symptoms too and didnt do any damage to the engine, I was very surprised, you may be lucky too.

IIRC Audi knocked a substantial amount off the cost of the new belt and tensioner and whatever else was required. I can ask for you if you like?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Pretty much Engine write off..I’m going for 4k, which includes complimentary lube..

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s fine sobriety but no garage would put that together for a customer on a probably split liability warranty job.

You did what I would do at home for me or my mates but that’s not what you do for customers.

sobriety
    Free Member

That’s fine sobriety but no garage would put that together for a customer on a probably split liability warranty job.

‘Twas just an example of what can be done, car was dead otherwise as I could’ve bought a couple of running ones for the cost of a garage repair. The cause of the failure was the belt tensioner failing on the aux belt, the aux belt failing becase of this, goign into the main belt and jumping it. The tensioner should’ve been changed, but the deal I got it from didn’t as I suspect he was cutting corners, lasted 7 months before failure, he gave a 6 month warranty the lucky git!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Equally another avenue is probably coulda got a new engine for 100 quid

French engines are fairly cheap.

Although the fuel pump/immobiliser coding might have been a hassle dependant on engine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The tensioner on our old Mazda 323 went, amazingly the OH managed (somehow) to coax it another 2 miles to her mothers.
    The cost? £40 to me to replace the tensioner, belt and water pump, and 2 evenings work to do the work.
    Non interference engine thank god. :mrgreen:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is the 2.0tdi PD a twin cam? I doubt the car would justify the cost of a recon engine. I’d say you’d still be looking at £2k for a scrap yard sourced engine and fitting.

Klunk
    Free Member

a very nice bike.

sobriety
    Free Member

Equally another avenue is probably coulda got a new engine for 100 quid

Yup, looked into that but didn’t for the reasons above, especially as most breakers don’t do returns!

Had to get 3 different reconditioned heads to get the right one, as despite ordering the correct one for the engine number, it wasn’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is the 2.0tdi PD a twin cam?

Some are, some aren’t afaik but that one probably is.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I hope so.

The lack of tension is killing me.

That’s what killed the engine too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Obviously we are accepting that the garage did actually change the tensioner when they did the belt – when in actual fact they may not have done so at all.
    Now’s the time that having work done by a dealer seems like a better idea as you’d probably get a better warranty.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Indeed, saving £200 by going to an independent seemed like a good idea at the time.

Phoned garage today (albeit fairly late), the owner was out but didn’t return my call.

I imagine he was busy sourcing me a brand new engine, or maybe even a new car. Probably the 3.0tdi s-line Quattro.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You need a nice 525d Touring. Will look the dogs after I get the EBay front wings on.

Mate of mine in Budleigh had £££s (I think £7k!) work done for free by Audi Exeter after an Independent-fitted belt etc failed as it was all Audi branded parts. It was a fairly mature 2.5 V6. So there is hope.

singletrackmind

Single Cam , but cam operates HP injectors inside the head so more load than a std OHC engine .
    Its front end rebuild for a cambelt swap on the A6 . IC out , Rad out ,lots of pipes moving , grill off , bumper off so a big job.
    Beyond economical repair , It will be £1620 plus VAT.
    But they will caveat that with it might be £2200 if the head needs skimming , new pistons,new valves, new vlave stem oil seals, belts , gaskets , oil , antifreeze and labour.
    3000 miles though, I would be expecting alot of goodwill. Best deal all round would be a newer model from dealer stock at a discount price.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, so we don’t actually know the cost.. right.

Well if it didn’t give an almighty bang and continued to run, it’s probably not knackered I’d guess. Probably just slipped a tooth, might have damaged some valves might not. You might be lucky.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Guess the damage – VAG TDI Cambelt’ is closed to new replies.