Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Guardian article on biking
  • philsimm
    Free Member
    poppa
    Free Member

a way of demonstrating how affluent you are

Bull poo.

highclimber
    Free Member

Cyclists might be drivers also but the drivers that moan we are a pain are seldom Cyclists!

sweepy
    Free Member

well I was more affluent before I started cycling TBH

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don't think in general, high-end bike owners are afflicted by the same vanity/narcissism that affects some high-end car/mansion/yacht/island owners.

On the other hand if you can afford the best, why settle for second best? Unless you're embarrassed by your wealth, in which case I'll take some off your hands thanks 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I'd like to see where they took their sample from. It states "Regular cyclists – those who cycle at least once a week – are also disproportionately likely to read broadsheet newspapers, be well educated, have a household income of at least £50,000 per year and shop at Waitrose"

That household income is well above average, even for London. I should imagine a great majority of us started riding in our teens. Perhaps riding bikes makes you affluent 😉 Must pedal harder.

Not sure about this but I thought Waitrose was predominantly based in the south east. Seems to me another article in the Guardian can't see further than the island of London.

The report costs £1500 so I doubt there will be many going through the finer details.

maxray
    Free Member

It means regular in that they ride regularily not that they are regular as in average whippersnapper 😀

Sounds about right to me, based on the amount of mid life crisis types you see on expensive bikes wobbling around carparks etc.

Just look at some of the posters on here!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

yes. But where did they get their sample of 'regular' (not average) cyclists from?

rootes1

a way of demonstrating how affluent you are
    Bull poo.

apparently cycling rates do increase with affluence

aracer
    Free Member

well I was more affluent before I started cycling

<checks cost of bikes in the garage> yep, I'd be a lot more affluent if I didn't cycle!

mt
    Free Member

me too!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Correlation is not causation" – to quote xkcd

Mid-life-crisis man may have bought his spangly bike:
    a) to re-live youth
    b) because at last he can afford it
    c) to annoy the wife
    d) as therapy
    e) all the above and more

But not necessarily to boast his fiscal success to other Mid-life-crisis men on chat forums.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Guardian article on biking’ is closed to new replies.