Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GU10 LEDs (again)
  • higgo
    Free Member

I know it’s been discussed on here a few times but I need another batch of LED GU10s to replace some of the halogen ones that are gradually bankrupting me.

Any reason not to buy these: http://www.simplyled.co.uk/GU10-High-Power-LED-3-x-1-watt-220-Lumens-45-watts-equiv_ASI5M.aspx?0

Or are there better/cheaper out there?

I know the sensible thing to do would be to do them all at the same time but our house has an astonishing number of them so I prefer to replace them in waves.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We got two trade packs of these from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-fixed-round-satin-nickel-240v-mains-voltage-downlight-pack-of-10/39572

Not had a single bulb blow in 2.5 years (about 18 units in total across three backs of lighting). We were recommended them because they have a reputation for longevity.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

We have the same problem with the GU10 halogen bulbs but the problem with the LEDs is that the beam angle is only 38 degrees. This means that the beam only goes 19 degrees out from vertical so it wouldn’t light the room very effectively. (not tried it but i would assume this to be the case.)

higgo
    Free Member

Interesting point about the beam angle – I’ve not noticed it where we’re using the LEDs already but in the kitchen for example there are 8 of them pointing in ‘random’ directions so I guess they cover for each other.

The next wave are for two bathrooms and are ceiling mounted pointing straight down – dunno if defined pools of light on the floor is a good look!

Stoner
    Free Member

if you can stretch to DELTECH 7W Id reocmmend it.
    http://www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/fullProd.php/High-Powered-7-watt-Warm-White-GU10-LED-Light-Bulb/137818
    I have quite a few of these in the barn kitchen and been very impressed.

Afterall, you only want to do this once.

I also use lower output cluster LEDs for corridor/bedroom lighting (also have CFL wall lights if bright light needed) which I got from eBay. MUCH cheaper, but only 25w equiv and Ive had 2/60 blow in 9 months.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

220 lumens its not equivalent to 45w!

An average 50w halogen kicks out about 850 lumens.

oldgit
    Free Member

higgo, they’d look something like 20 watt GU10s. You need 5 or 7 watt to get a good light output. Plus those aren’t cheap for 3 watt.

I’ve sold a good few hundred now, stoners price is good as I sell my 7 watts for £17 inc

BTW the old 12v dichroics were 38o, that’s the normal beam angle.

pjt201
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    220 lumens its not equivalent to 45w!

Depends how you measure it… Went to a syposium on street lighting the other day where a research team is trying to develop a scientific way of measuring the effectiveness of light at different chromaticities… it’s well proven that light with lower colour temperature appears to be brigher than light of a higher colour temp with the same output. LEDs generally have a lower colour temp so appear brighter while current measuring (and rating) techniques don’t allow for this.

higgo
    Free Member

Hmmm… Stoner’s 7w ones do look good.

I looked at these higher power ones but the fittings in one of the bathrooms will not take a lamp longer than the ‘normal’ halogen ones and these look that bit longer: http://www.simplyled.co.uk/GU10-Ultra-High-Power-LED-3-x-2-watt-350-Lumens-55-watts-equiv_AUZBL.aspx?0

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jeez they are expensive though – how long will it take to recoup the cost in energy savings???????

EDIT – and are they dimmable?

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah. watch out for form factor. Some LEDs are too big. Quite a lot of CFLs are because of their ballast and elecs.

higgo
    Free Member

Just ordered some of the ones that Stoner recommended.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GU10 LEDs (again)’ is closed to new replies.