Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Grrrr! Strava!
  • dashed
    Free Member

Running the iPhone app on a 3GS and it keeps failing to pick up on segments – definitely had a KOM last night!!

I’m assuming this is down to the GPS in the phone rather than the app itself or the website – are “proper” GPS units better or do they still suffer from the same problems? It looks like you can upload GPS plots to the Strava website so assuming this works the same as the iPhone app…

And advice on basic, fit-for-purpose GPS units that would do the job?

MrSmith
    Free Member

garmin 200, cheap does the job.

northshoreniall

Second garmin 200 and extra 20% off halfords until 23rd – picked one up yesterday for £93 and get quidco cash back on it too.

philfive
    Free Member

Use a garmin or even endomondo if that works better, then import your route into strava through the website.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I had this issue too (iPhone 4)

I have no idea whether the Garmins are more accurate, although I gather newer iPhone 4s has a better GPS chip in it.

If I was buying a Garmin, I’d go for one with a heart rate monitor.

burt
    Free Member

i use endomono and strava, two days running now i have had straight line sections, todays totaled 5 miles altogether, now thinking of getting a garmin myself, dont think the pnones gps is up to this to be honest

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve been noticing strange things with Stava as well. Last night three of us rode, two with iPhones and one with a Garmin. Even though we all rode together we haven’t all got the same segments. Sometimes there are even two segments for the same section of track but I think that’s an issue with the Strava database.

I personally think the whole thing is a bit daft but it’s a genie in the bottle, or rather out of it once you start using it.

The segments you’re timed on are not taped off so you get loads of people straight lining just to get a better time and that’s OK except it mashes up the trail.

I’ve also seen a rising trend for Strava addicts to put bells on their bikes so they can warn peopel to get out of their way if they’re on a flying run!

jambalaya
    Free Member

GPS in phones are not capable of providing remotely accurate timing, anyone pumping themselves up on a phone derived KOM is just delusional.

Superficial
    Free Member

What evidence do you have for that? Any GPS is only as good as the GPS chip that’s inside. There’s nothing to say phones can’t be as accurate as dedicated GPS units.

RealMan
    Free Member

Dude I got banned from strava.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve had problems with Strava apparently not picking up segments using a Garmin 305, but every time further inspection has shown I haven’t passed through the start and finish, or have deviated too much from the original segment route, or have been going in the wrong direction.

People are pretty stupid when they set up segments. Some run across main roads (bit dangerous when the red mist is on), or start and stop just the wrong side of a gate etc that you need to dismount for. Another pet hate is big climbs with segments that only take in a little bit – guess the same goes for downhills. Top to bottom, or vica versa please. They’ll have to police the segments more aggressively at some point I think, or it shall begin to rip my knitting.

Realman, what did you do to get banned from Strava? Whatever it was I’ll need to avoid it. I think I would get withdrawal symptoms. I’m attempting to own Scotland, just a few Division 1 Roadies in my way 😉

clubber
    Free Member

bit of a generalisation there Jambalaya . what I’d say is that phone GPS isn’t as consistent or reliable as a dedicated GPS but it can be just as accurate. As evidenced many times by logging with both phone and proper GPS. in fact most of the time it’s pretty spot on.

small comfort yesterday though when my ride logged on strava and another mobile tracking app added a comedy detour so none of the segments were recorded. of course if I was that serious about strava I’d always use a proper GPS but I’m not so I don’t.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Some sedgments are picked up by phone others are picked up by GPS’s and others are missed completely.

Don’t stress about it, if a pro rider did it no one would stand a chance anyway, just use the “My Results” tab on the left hand side to see your improvements

zerocool

Phones use GPRS which is reliant on phone reception rather than True GPS IIRC. Which means it will. Scone less accurate the poorer the reception is. In a lot of places including the Alpes this is not usually a problem.

Superficial
    Free Member

No, that’s not true. Some phones use A-GPS (assisted GPS) where they will use cell tower triangulation to assist the GPS to get a fix. This usually lowers the time taken to get a fix, it doesn’t really affect the accuracy but if anything would augment it.

The question is whether a dedicated GPS has a better antenna and a more advanced GPS chip than a phone, but that will definitely vary based upon make / mode of phone / GPS device.

crazy-legs

No problems with my HTC phone using Strava. Proper GPS chip in it. It’ll do assisted GPS if you turn the satellite function off where it just triangulates your position via cell towers but with GPS turned on, it’s always been accurate to within a few metres either using Strava or Google Maps.

People are pretty stupid when they set up segments. Some run across main roads (bit dangerous when the red mist is on), or start and stop just the wrong side of a gate etc that you need to dismount for. Another pet hate is big climbs with segments that only take in a little bit – guess the same goes for downhills. Top to bottom, or vica versa please. They’ll have to police the segments more aggressively at some point I think, or it shall begin to rip my knitting.

The segments thing is just how it’s been set up on the database, there’s a couple of climbs near me that have 2 segments within them, one does the whole climb the other has been set shorter for whatever reaosn. +1 for Strava going through them and weeding out duplicates although I imagine that would be one hell of a time consuming job.

bruneep

Dude I got banned from strava.

Didn’t know they had a classified section

richardk
    Free Member

Accuracy may be more to do with where the device is stored, and how good a visibility of the sky it gets. A garmin will be on your wrist or bike usually, whereas a phone could be in your pocket or pack?

I’m surprised how good a reception the phone gets to be honest, my strava route for a 19mile off road run didn’t have any bits missed or straight-lined. Phone was in a pocket for that one, so generally a good unobstructed view of sky.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lead lined camelbak seriously ?

Never had an issue with mine missing trails.

On an iphone 4

will
    Free Member

No issues at all with Strava on my iPhone 4. Maybe deleted the app and download again?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Garmin 500 in the classifieds

dasnut
    Free Member

Get a gps status app and see how accurate the gps chip in your phone is. They are available for apple and android, then stop whining when you have some facts

timmys

I’m finding the most annoying thing is some of the trails I ride run quite near to roads and roadies with inaccurate GPSs are getting the KOMs!

scaredypants

bruneep : 😆

stufield
    Free Member

used to run strava app on iPhone 4s, but bought edge 500 from halfords in sale and got cash back etc… through quidco

Its cheaper if you buy your own HR and Cadence sensors.

Find it works better, battery lasts longer especially as I ride in areas with poor mobile coverage (which seems to drain battery as well on iPhone)

Taff
    Free Member

My annoyance with the iPhone app is that I do a lap an it misses sections. Definately done them. Got annoyed on the Dyfi as there were about a dozen segments but I only had 9 show up where as my brother in law using a Garmin had everything. I’m about to order a Garmin though to avoid this in the future

MarkSS
    Free Member

I’ve had endomondo straight line before when the battery has reduced and its gone into power save mode.

out of interest on Friday I went out with Strava running on a HTC Wildfire S in a jersey pocket and a Garmin 500 on the stem. Uploaded both trails up to Strava. Only went through one Strava segment and the Garmin was 2 seconds quicker compared to the phone app.

So now only bothing with the Garmin 500 🙂

crazy-legs

out of interest on Friday I went out with Strava running on a HTC Wildfire S in a jersey pocket and a Garmin 500 on the stem. Uploaded both trails up to Strava. Only went through one Strava segment and the Garmin was 2 seconds quicker compared to the phone app.

I’ve got a similar set-up: HTC Desire S in a back jersey pocket (on the road bike so it’s got a clear view of the sky) and a Garmin Edge 305 on the stem. I never bother downloading the Garmin, I just use it as a cycle computer. On todays ride all the data (avg/max speed, distance etc) tallied but the GPS reckoned I’d done 2409ft of climbing, the phone reckoned on 1912ft. The GPS has an atmospheric altimeter as well as the GPS so I think it’s more accurate. Basically, I want my extra 500ft of climbing!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

My Strava Grrr! is that when I’ve defined a segment with painstaking accuracy on google maps, by the time you save it, the saved segment that appears has the start and end points in random places loosely based on the start and end points I have defined. So you start a climb at the bottom of a hill – by the time you save it, the start point is halfway up the hill. Also, a few of the segments I’ve ridden seem to have start and end points in places that don’t define what they’re trying to do particularly well. So it seems the problem doesn’t just happen to me.

Superficial
    Free Member

On todays ride all the data (avg/max speed, distance etc) tallied but the GPS reckoned I’d done 2409ft of climbing, the phone reckoned on 1912ft. The GPS has an atmospheric altimeter as well as the GPS so I think it’s more accurate. Basically, I want my extra 500ft of climbing!

You’re right, some units have an altimeter in which is far more accurate for determining height gain than GPS is. However, I’m fairly sure that Strava corrects for this once your route has been uploaded.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-elevation-for-your-activity

dobo
    Free Member

my phone can put me about 50m away from the actual route when it feels like it. the garmin is much more accurate however but still very easy not to get picked up on a segment. I’ve made a couple of segments but as theres so much room to deviate from the exact trail i took then it shows im the only person to do it, even though i know others do it, obviously just a few meters to the left or right in places so it doesnt pcikup i guess.. dont think theres anything that can be done about that.

wwaswas

Bruneep 🙂

davesmate
    Free Member

How do you import routes from endomondo to strava then?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

davesmate – Member

How do you import routes from endomondo to strava then?

Do it on your computer.

Just save the routes as a gpx from endomondo onto your desktop or whatever, then upload it when you’re in Strava.

h4muf
    Free Member

My 800 completely missed a segment on monday night.The KOM belongs to a poster above 😉

Did it again this morning and it was fine.

davesmate
    Free Member

Right ho. Easy when you know how eh!

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine missed a segment on a big hill this evening, and after I’d hurt myself staying in the big ring all the way up.

🙁

StefMcDef
    Free Member

davesmate – Member

Right ho. Easy when you know how eh!

🙂 Assuming you’re not taking the P, here’s how I got it to work it with a bit more detail.

On Endomondo, in the page for the “workout” you want to copy over to Strava, click the “export” tab.

Then click on the export to .gpx file

Then check the “open with xml editor option”

This opens up a web page with a load of programming language type stuff on it.

Go to the “File” then “Save As” bit of your browser and save it to the desktop.

Then open up Strava and click the “upload activity” box in the top right hand corner, then “upload a file on your computer”, then browse to wherever you’ve saved the file, then upload it.

There’s probably a less convoluted way of doing it but that was how I got it to work after a bit of trial and error.

chakaping
    Free Member

stefmcdef – your problem came up in a recent thread and somebody reckoned it was a bug caused by the “keep my house secret” function.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Garmin app on iPhone works well for me. Picked up segments that another rider with the Strava app missed. I just export the gpx files for certain rides from garmin connect and upload them to Strava.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Grrrr! Strava!’ is closed to new replies.