Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Grrr. Seized and now rounded locking.
  • DT78
    Free Member

Any tips, bloody thing just wouldn't move, bit more grunt and the tool has rounded the teeth off the lockring.

Suggestions?

CK SS hub so hope it's not buggered.

DT78
    Free Member

No one got any tips?

Looks like I'm stuck with 18t cog then….

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Saw a notch in it to gain purchase with an expendable screwdrive. Then, using screw drive in a chisel like manner hit it with hammer to drive the lockring round?

Worked to get Cheiftain bb cups out of a frame after a similar incident.

tron
    Free Member

Use a cheaper tool next time, so the tool lets go before the lockring does? 😆

You'll not knock it off with a hammer and chisel if the proper tool wouldn't shift it.

I'd be looking to find a garage or engineering firm who could weld a cheap 1/2" drive socket to the lockring and remove it that way.

Pickers

Biggest Stilson wrench you can find.
    Obvious but make sure you're turning it the right way.

scaredypants

have you already used plusgas or something ?
    (adds: it will strip out all your grease though)

Jason
    Free Member

I had one really stuck once, it was one a wheel I hadn't used for a few years and it really really wouldn't budge. With careful use of a rotating cutting disc on a dremmel I managed to remove the lockring without damaging the freehub. I cut through it as far as I dared and then it was fairly easy to bend/snap the lockring inwards. It was a cheap Shimano hub so I wasn't too bothered about damaging it, but it survived intact.

zangolin
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    Any tips, bloody thing just wouldn't move, bit more grunt and the tool has rounded the teeth off the lockring.
    Suggestions?
    CK SS hub so hope it's not buggered.

If this is a traditional track/fixed type hub – then the lockring will be a left handed thread. Not familier with the CK SS hub so maybe different?

Ah just looked on the CK website – it's cassette type lockring. If completely rounded then I would get the Dremel out.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

File the lockring down flat until it reaches the freehub body,The Ring should come off and then just un-wind the threaded part that is left in the body,With no tension on the threads it should unscrew easily.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Grrr. Seized and now rounded locking.’ is closed to new replies.