Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Grrr Rubbish doctor rant
  • convert

Sometimes struggle to understand the world….
    My wife is swimming the channel this summer & raising money for a medical research based charity. To do the swim you have to have a medical questionaire filled by your GP. Took a 10 minute appointment to fill in and she left with form so no other paperwork. GP charged £85 "administration fee". She explained why she needed it, non profit making – good cause etc & nothing doing- no reduction possible. Has to be filled by your gp so over a barrel.

By coinsidence her morbidly obese work colleague had her 4th appointment of the year with the same doctor-frequent flyer due to diabetes & knee problems brought on by lifestyle. Obviously no charge.

Whilst I don't think I'd want to see charging to see your gp, even if it is for self inflicted reasons, charging those that try to take care of themselves & don't give them much hassle for their per patient based income seems a bit harsh!

Rubbish rant over – I thank you for reading!

sofatester
    Free Member

Rubbish rant over – I thank you for reading!

Not rubbish at all, i know exactly where you’re coming from. Do you not know another medical professional who can "tick the boxes", to save you being fleeced?

Drac

Diabetics get free prescriptions and obesity is one of the symptoms of side effects, maybe your wife could have done a charity event that didn't involve any cost for her. Or maybe you could forget about the charge and just think about the money your raising.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What sofatester said…….not a "rubbish rant" imo. The £85 "administration fee" shows where her GP's priorities are, time to change GP I reckon – I wouldn't want him or her dealing with my health issues.

Can't see the connection with the "morbidly obese work colleague" though 😕

convert

Drac – tuther way around for type 2.

Not really the point really though – just not sure why GPs feel the need to charge for this sort of stuff- it's not like their skint! As a teacher I fill in countless passport form for the scrotes I teach – should I be charging £5 a pop for my snow day slush fund?

GrahamS

So 10 minute appointment. Nearly twice the target 6 minute appointment time. For a non-medical (i.e. non-NHS) task. £85?

How much do you reckon two GP appointments costs the NHS?

convert

Earnie – tenous link I'll admit but I guess I was trying to say some folk use more than their share of a "resource" such as gp we all pay for, especially for what could be described as self inflicted reasons rather than sheer bad luck, & when you only bother them every now and again and have to pay for your share it seems a little harsh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How much do you reckon two GP appointments costs the NHS?

He wasn't asking how much two GP appointments costs the NHS. He was asking why one appointment cost his wife £85.

Drac

Not really the point really though – just not sure why GPs feel the need to charge for this sort of stuff-

Because your not going for your health, your going for something voluntary why should they take up appointment slot and not receive anything from the premiary care trust? I've signed dozens of passport applications too, you could charge if you wanted too but they'd ask someone else same as your pupils would.

GrahamS

just not sure why GPs feel the need to charge for this sort of stuff

maybe they are busy enough dealing with actual health problems?

I fill in countless passport form for the scrotes I teach

a passport just requires you to take responsibilty for them being who they say they are, which hopefully you are relatively sure of.

A medical form could be used to push legal responsbilty onto the GP if anything happened to the OPs wife.

Drac

He was asking why one appointment cost his wife £85.

The surgery receives money for the primary care trust for appointments they do, by taking up 2 slot times to fill in a form so some one can swim they loose money.

GrahamS

Drac – tuther way around for type 2.

chicken and egg actually. Not all type 2s are fat and not all fat folk are type 2s.

convert

What if they have been fat for 20yrs and then get type 2- obviously could be a coinsidence.

Drac

Yeah but she still has diabetes so needs to see a Dr, your wife didn't need to swim the channel.

muggomagic

What if they have been fat for 20yrs and then get type 2

you'd still be charged £85 for your unnecessary appointment.
    how often someone visits a doctor for a medical reason is irrelevant, that's the GP's job after all. Maybe your GP is not in a position to waive the fee, he/she is an employee after all.
    Good luck to your mrs, hope she manages to raise plenty for a worthwhile cause.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

maybe they are busy enough dealing with actual health problems?

Are you suggesting that my GP isn't busy "dealing with actual health problems" ? …. because there is absolutely no way that he would charge £85 as an "administration fee".

It usual takes a week's wait to see him – and I don't think it's cause he's busy "filling in forms".

In fact last time I saw him I got a freebie. I asked him if he could recommend me a digital blood glucose monitor, he said "hang on a minute" went out of his room, came back and gave me a brand new boxed one.

GrahamS

convert: obesity leads to type 2 diabetes, but diabetes can also lead to obesity.

And not all type 2 s are fat. My wife is positively skinny. (Or at least she was before she got pregnant 🙂 )

Drac

because there is absolutely no way that he would charge £85 as an "administration fee".

But we know it's not an administration fee hence the "" it's completing the form to say the person is medically fit to swim across cold waters for a long distance not just saying the photos is a likeness and yes that's who they are.

I got a guy who was practising for swimming the English channel last year, he got into trouble and an ambulance was called. He was recovering when we got there and found it funny when we pulled up with lights and sirens on, laughing as we pulled up was a huge mistake. Then having the cheek to ask me do a medical and sign his forms was his next mistake, he said he'd pay though. I asked him what he GP was charging, it was about £65. I told him if I do it it'll £64.99 and they'll be no refunds when he finds it may not be valid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The GP is perfectly entitled to charge for this. It is a private consultation, NHS does not provide these certificates.

having said that a GP I used for a medical certificate for a charity thing waived his fee. Gp is perfectly entitled to chage but is a bit mean to do so.

Woody
    Free Member

Gp is perfectly entitled to chage but is a bit mean to do so.

Very true but like every profession and in other walks of life, some are greedy barstewards and others have a sense of decency and morals.

My GP for instance fits into the g…b… category as he charged me £37 for the 2 minutes it took to complete and sign the form to say I was fit enough to do my job. Not an easy task according to the secretary as he had to locate and analyse my medical records. A total of two visits in the 10 years I have been registered at his surgery (broken toe and a simple eye infection) must have taxed him severely. 😥

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

gp's are shit i think unless u have the sniffles!

they are overpaid lazy people who are so interested in there profession that they rush u through your time slot.

i was told i had kidney stones 2 years ago!! i was told to drink 5 litres a day and that they should pass within 2 weeks.

2 week later, still no pain from passing them, went back and he said o maybe drink more (i said are you a real doctor) haha yes ofcourse.

2 weeks later still nothing so i went to the hospital instead as the pain was worsening.

TURNED OUT I HAD DOUBLE GROIN HERNIAS!!!

glad i went to my fully qualified doctor!

he then tried charging me for the forms to claim incapacity benefits for the 2 months of work.

i laugh and said your joking! after telling me i had kidney stones for a month and half, he said easy mistake, signed it and i change doctor after that!

although this sounds completly wrong…..

your wife shouldnt pay to have these things signed as she is doing this for sick people.

could you not pay for it out of the donations as its all for the cause anyhow, not saying fill your car up with petrol and taking the piss but it also shouldnt cost you anything other than your time

is that harsh?

nick

mugsys_m8

I think what the NHS and most of the UK public need to get their head round, is that it's a HEALTH service, a service to get and keep people HEALTHY. It's not about 'bothering the doc only if I'm really really ill'. Therefore in my opinion, there should be no charge for people who require medical certificates for sporting events etc, such as the OP. As they are keeping healthy by participating in sports.

<sitting in France>

Drac

What so if you do something for charity everyone should give their time up for free. No! His wife chose to do this she could have done something that didn't incur costs like this, so she has to accept or do something else.

Unlucky Woody, my forms were signed for free I'm fortunate we have a good close relationship with the GPs up here. That said some of my other staff had to pay with the same GPs, guess it must be charm.

uplink
    Free Member

By coinsidence her morbidly obese work colleague had her 4th appointment of the year with the same doctor-frequent flyer due to diabetes & knee problems brought on by lifestyle

Bit like people that keep falling off bicycles & hurting themselves then?

surfer
    Free Member

What so if you do something for charity everyone should give their time up for free. No!

I think the inference is that the GP made a judgement call. In my opinion given what I can gather from the OP he made the wrong one. He has discretion and he didnt exercise it.
    Spending a few minutes completing a form would not have impacted negatively on other patients nor added more than a trivial delay.
    Regardless of what some others on here have posted as a "paid up member of the human race" he should have signed and not charged.

Drac

Regardless of what some others on here have posted as a "paid up member of the human race" he should have signed and not charged.

Sorry but no he doesn't have to, he can choose to or he can charge for a wasted appointment.

It's more like those who chose a lifestyle swimming the English channel, get into problems and expect everyone to bend over backwards to help them as it's for charitee.

surfer
    Free Member

But thats a bit of a minefield isnt it?
    At what point does your choice of sport and the benefits you accrue outweigh the potential cost to the taxpayer of over exercise or injury.

surfer
    Free Member

Sorry but no he doesn't have to, he can choose to or he can charge for a wasted appointment.

I didnt say he did have to but what we have to do doesnt always dictate what we "do" do.(!)
    We dont have to donate to earthquake funds, we dont have to help elderly people if they slip on the ice. We dont have to do a lot of things.
    He has discretion and he failed to exercise it. Thats a poor decision.

surfer
    Free Member

It's more like those who chose a lifestyle swimming the English channel, get into problems and expect everyone to bend over backwards to help them as it's for charitee.

Thats a different argument. If people get into difficulty then its not the fact that they are doing it for charity that gets them rescued it is because their life is in danger. If they are poorly prepared then they should be criticised, or even made to pay the costs.
    We dont look at their motives before sending out the emergency services.

IanMunro
    Free Member

By blaming the GP's aren't we to a large extent letting the insurance companies that demand this tat off the hook somewhat?

wwaswas

People seem happy to give comapanies large amounts of cash to 'Cycle Bolivia' or whatever. These rides are, ostensibly, for charity but they are often run by 'for profit' organisations and the recipient charities have to set high minimum sponsorship values to cover their costs.

If I was doing one of these rides shoudl I expect my GP to sign my passprot application and give me all the jabs and prescriptions for free as I'm doign it 'for charity'? I think not and the same applies to the Channel swim – yes, it's disappointing but it's just part of the 'cost' of doing the swim (like the fuel for the accompanying boat etc).

surfer
    Free Member

If I was doing one of these rides shoudl I expect my GP to sign my passprot application and give me all the jabs and prescriptions for free as I'm doign it 'for charity'? I think not and the same applies to the Channel swim – yes, it's disappointing but it's just part of the 'cost' of doing the swim (like the fuel for the accompanying boat etc).

But you have now extended a "signature" which I understand is all that was required by the OP. Into "prescriptions and injections" this is different and I would have expected actual costs to be passed on. However we are talking about a "signature" this adds zero marginal cost to the GP and in practical terms is a service that IMO should have been made discretionalry.
    In terms of other costs such as fuel etc often these are donated free however the mechanics of speaking to providers is often more complex than turning up at the pump and asking for it! Providers at the point of delivery seldom have the discretion to donate fuel, car hire, waive costs etc.
    The GP had IMO an easy choice to make. He made the wrong one.

swiss01
    Free Member

and the surprise is what here? doctors love fees. ask a pilot.

given the frequency of posts castigating the nhs i'd have thought there be a queue of people positively staining themselves at the thought of paying to see the doctor.

i'd say more but i have to go off and get me some (private) healthcare where in addition, me and my provider will be furthering our master plan for our private drop in clinic for when the tories sort the nhs right out.

threads like this, an inspiration.

gonefishin
    Free Member

You know all the complaints about "waste" in the NHS? Had the GP not charged then this would have been an example of exactly that.

Oh and 10 mins to fill in a questionnaire is a bit more than a signature.

surfer
    Free Member

You know all the complaints about "waste" in the NHS? Had the GP not charged then this would have been an example of exactly that.

When people refer to "waste in the NHS" I think they are thinking of bigger fish!

Drac

But you have now extended a "signature" which I understand is all that was required by the OP

Which explains your lack to grasp the point, he's signing to say she is medically fit to swim which makes him responsible some way if it goes wrong.

even made to pay the costs.

Same, it costs a GP to give up their time so they should have to pay it.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

but really £85! £20 ok but £85! he is already being paid and the fact he could do it in a free time slot instead of taking up a slot for a patient seems like a good money for him?

allthepies
    Free Member

Just take the £85 out of the sponsorship ££££, simples.

😉

Drac

but really £85! £20 ok but £85! he is already being paid and the fact he could do it in a free time slot instead of taking up a slot for a patient seems like a good money for him?

But someone could have had an appointment then, you do realise the practice gets paid for appointments and seeing people?

If you going to do something for charity don't whine about the costs.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Does the money go to the GP or does it go to the practice that employs him or her? The issue is that if he or she isn't seeing a patient then that means they are not earning income from the practice. This income needs to be replaced hence the fee. It should also be noted that the money that needs to be recouped is the cost of two appointments which will be significantly more than the wages earned by said GP in 10mins.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Grrr Rubbish doctor rant’ is closed to new replies.