Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Grips – what are you using?
  • kevin1911

The grips that came stock on one of my bikes have finally worn out and need replaced. I usually go for either ODI Rogue or ODI Yeti lock-on’s, as I prefer my grips to be quite chunky. However, I fancy a wee change.

So, what else should I be looking at?

K

tang
    Free Member

Esi chunky grips. The best I have used ever.

kevin1911

Thanks tang – are they only available in non-lock-on versions? Don’t think I could go back to non-lock-on

binners

Bontrager Race Lite lock-ons.

but maybe not in white

Even chunkier than ODI Yeti’s’s. I always had the ODI’s but have been converted. I bought some nice Spank Lock ons, but ended up putting the Tatty Bonty’s on because they were so much better

tang
    Free Member

Don’t be put off, these are a doddle, remove and fix with window cleaner, they have never slipped once even through winter wet rides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sunline twisted waffel thick.

Not sure I’d trust the clamps on carbon bars, but I’d rate them slightly higher than the Yetis I had before and really liked.

Downside, they feel quite soft so longjevity could be a problem, we’ll see.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Some of Brant’s finest thin lock ons.

kevin1911

Those Superstar ones seem to be amazing value. Just a shame the have Superstar emblazoned all over them. Will they fall apart after 2 rides, and will I then be told by Mr Superstar that I must have been gripping them incorrectly 😉

The Bontrager ones look pretty good too.

Decisions…

TINAS – will be using on carbon bars, so like you I’d be a bit hesitant to use that type of clamp

thehustler
    Free Member

Just bought a set of the “cheap” ergo ones currently in lidl, nice and chunky and def comfy on my road hybrid (£7.99 set inc bar ends…..oh the shame!!)

rewski
    Free Member

Still on the Lapierre factory grips, no reason to change yet, I do like the look of the pro tharsis

pixelmix
    Free Member

My Giant XC lock ons that came with the bike are lasting well so far. You can get them for £10 or less if you look around, and in a few different colours for the lockring.

Northwind

I like ODI Rogues, big and soft. But just put a set of kevlar Renthal nonlocking ones from Charlie the Bikemonger on, and they’re fab- and haven’t moved around at all either. Might swap the other bike over to these.

stevede
    Free Member

Odi Troy Lee’s are the best grips i’ve ever used, have them on my Pitch and as soon as my Ruffians wear down on my Soul i’ll stick some on that as well. They are expensive for what they are but as a contact point and in constant use i don’t mind the premium for comfort.

GW
    Free Member

bald ruffians (down to the plastic sleeve) – ‘kin hate fat grips

Tom83

Esi grips are great. I jut wet the handle bars to fit them. Used throughout winter with no throttling at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few different lock-on varieties, thick and thin, flat and finned – but I always end up putting WTB Weirwolfs back on. I think they’re just perfect for my hands.

I have some mint-condition ODI Rogues I’m not going to use if you’re interested?

lunge

ODI Ruffians for me, always used to ride fat grips, tried some Ruffians and have not looked back. Only thing that comes close is the Orange Strange grips than come on new Orange bikes, they are very thin and grippy.

chvck
    Free Member

Oury, fat n soft!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dmr zip grips…with the square ribs cut off with a razor blade and roughened up with some 80 grade sandpaper.They are at their best just before they wear through to the bar.Duo bmx grips are great to,but they only last 3-4 weeks!!Can’t stand thick grips and most of them are way too narrow as well!

patriotmike
    Free Member

Hi I use Sunline lock-on grips cheap as chips last well and give tons of grip. I run Skills courses and guide for a living never use anything else

Cheers Mike

heuer27
    Free Member

I’ve got some lizard skins lock on’s which are chunky and hard wearing . I do have hands like a gorilla though size 12 (xxl).Those are great for me. Just bought some sunline lock on’s to match some new bars which are almost as good . Not quite but almost.

R.lepecha

I use WTB 4-Front Clamp-on.

Plastic lock on collars too, shouldn’t damage carbon bars.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just out of interest, do those of you who like thin grips have small hands?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

ESI’s here too. wet bar, slide on and they don’t shift once dry. none of that lock on rubbish needed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cue big hand jokes…….all my gloves are xl or xxl but I cannot abide thick grips.Or grips that are shorter than 130mm.

househusband

Another fan of chunky ESI grips here, have ’em on both bikes. Even managed to get hold of some orange ones from eBay in the US – match my Soul.

yunki
    Free Member

I tried a set of those Ragley thin grips.. they wore quite quickly and gave me pain in my ring fingers.. and I have quite girly small artists hands…

I’m using his half waffle grips now and they is fine and dandy..

amplebrew

ESI grips for me too, I can’t fault them.

Dead easy to fit, comfy and so far have been hardwearing.

They’re also easy to remove and refit if needed.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Esi here too, but have been using some Ergon ga1 recently which are great but in a different way. No spinning on esi chunky even in the downpour that was dusk til Dawn. The White ones even came out of the race brighter than before the race!

chakaping
    Free Member

Lots of ESI users.

Are they soft or hard then?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Very soft. Which is their only downside IMO and why I got ergons for one bike. They Are amazingly grippy but if you put a lot of pressure on them then the bar can be felt through them. On long rides I sometimes found this a problem and wanted more support. Otherwise they are ace. No idea how they stay stuck on like they do though!

theotherjonv

+1 for ESI. When i go to the states this summer a few pairs will be on my shopping list.

Taff
    Free Member

Some lightweight Specialized lock on jobbies, bit worn now so replacing them with some red KCNC foam grips

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I’ve just dumped lock ons after years of use for ESI ‘fat’ grips, reviews seem good everywhere. Way comfier than Ergon imo.

allyharp

Bontrager Earl lock-ons. Nice and soft and they become unfathomably sticky in the wet.

mboy
    Free Member

Long time ODI Rogue user here

I keep trying other grips too, cos I’m curious like that, and always end up back with Rogues. Nothing else is as comfy basically…

kevin1911

Well, there seems to be a consensus emerging. Going to give the ESI’s a shot then, and will try the Bontrager’s after that if no joy.

Thanks for all the responses!!

GW
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Just out of interest, do those of you who like thin grips have small hands?
    No, don’t wear them very often anymore but I’m a size L in biking gloves.
    I ride way better with thin grips and no gloves. If you need comfort at the grips you’re simply soft.

flyingmonkeycorps

+1 Superstar. I like that they’re really long, and they’re comfy and grippy. What more could you want?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Grips – what are you using?’ is closed to new replies.